Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey, Ibis Folks: Any thoughts of doing HDR 150mm??

I love the way my HD rides. It's the std 160 travel AM rig. Love it, love it. Then I 650b'd my TRc (Sorry to mention another brand here) and love it too. It really came alive with the 650b. So then I hear the HD is now in a 650b version too. Yippie. "Now the symphony is playing in full harmony, birds are chirping..."

Until I read that it's 130mm?! "Music soundtrack coming to an abrupt warping..." Huh????? That's even less than the SL. Why make the HD 130mm and not 150mm? I'm sorry I just dont get it.

150mm 650b HD with correct geometry, not having to modify anything like shimming rear shocks, gobs of rear wheel clearance, a BB height of around 13.2-13.5 now that would be the ticket.

Hans, and the Ibis folks. You folks have excellent customer service. I was just wondering...
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post

150mm 650b HD with correct geometry, not having to modify anything like shimming rear shocks, gobs of rear wheel clearance, a BB height of around 13.2-13.5 now that would be the ticket.

Hans, and the Ibis folks. You folks have excellent customer service. I was just wondering...
    That would be a different bike. Especially since the 27.5 fork is longer and the tires are getting larger all the time, it is pretty challenging to lower the bike that much.
    H

mtbr member
    May 2011
    More to the bike than the travel.......Stiffness and Geometry. I would imagine the SL-R to be lighter and quicker feeling in turns than the HD-R even with 130mm travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    That would be a different bike. Especially since the 27.5 fork is longer and the tires are getting larger all the time, it is pretty challenging to lower the bike that much.
    H
    Hi Hans,

Any comments on the configurations bikeco.com is making available? If I were getting an HDR right now, their 147mm 27.5 setup is the one I would get. It seems like this is the 27.5 HD most people want.

The Bike Company - Powered by ironfly internet

mtbr member
    Until I read that it's 130mm?! Huh????? That's even less than the SL....
    I thought Hans said somewhere that the 26" Mojo HD 140 was actually only 130....( not sure what the actual measurement is on the Mojo SL).

I think 130-140 is the sweet spot for a 650b trail/am bike. 150-160 might be nice for bigger stuff (AM/FR) but like he said, then it's a different bike.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have the Bike-co 150MM HDR and I could not be more pleased. I'm sure the stock HDR in 650B is awesome but nothing compares to a Bike-co set-up period, end of story (There is a reason why Joe is Brian Lopes personal mechanic). My HDR has More travel and my BB is lower then my old 26" Bike-co built HD. I love Ibis, I have been riding them since they returned but Bike-co will take an already superior, class leading bike and make it even better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    I have the Bike-co 150MM HDR and I could not be more pleased. I'm sure the stock HDR in 650B is awesome but nothing compares to a Bike-co set-up period, end of story (There is a reason why Joe is Brian Lopes personal mechanic). My HDR has More travel and my BB is lower then my old 26" Bike-co built HD. I love Ibis, I have been riding them since they returned but Bike-co will take an already superior, class leading bike and make it even better.
    What are the geometry numbers for the Bikeco HDR?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not exactly sure but I will call them tomorrow and get the numbers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I'm not exactly sure but I will call them tomorrow and get the numbers.
    What fork did you pair with the Bikeco shock? Did you go with the short shock or long shock with offset bushings? Would like to know what the HA is plus BB height?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just ordered a BikeCo HDR 650b with 147mm travel.
    They really know what they are doing and the ProTune front fork from Fox (150mm) is a totally different animal. The rear shock they use is tuned to get the 147mm and I will be running a 2.25" rear tire, so clearance is not much of an issue.
    I can't wait to get this bike as my original Mojo c is 6.5 yrs old and I am over due !

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by dcpowpow View Post
    I just ordered a BikeCo HDR 650b with 147mm travel.
    They really know what they are doing and the ProTune front fork from Fox (150mm) is a totally different animal. The rear shock they use is tuned to get the 147mm and I will be running a 2.25" rear tire, so clearance is not much of an issue.
    I can't wait to get this bike as my original Mojo c is 6.5 yrs old and I am over due !
    Are they setting you up with the short shock or the long shock? Did you ask them what the difference is between the long shock versus using the short shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Long body shock. It has more volume. They are amazing on the phone and if you order a bike, they will spend the time to go over every detail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Long body shock. It has more volume. They are amazing on the phone and if you order a bike, they will spend the time to go over every detail.
    Nice. I think the long shock uses offset bushings so I'd appreciate you measuring the HA and BB height when you get it. Assume it's a 8.5x2.5 but would appreciate confirmation on that also. Thanks.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What exactly do they do to make the bike 'this' amazing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Nice. I think the long shock uses offset bushings so I'd appreciate you measuring the HA and BB height when you get it. Assume it's a 8.5x2.5 but would appreciate confirmation on that also. Thanks.
    Has anyone gotten specific info on this yet? I'm curious to know what the recipe is.

Too Much Fun

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Some info on Ibis site...

It's worth noting (didn't see it mentioned in the thread) that Ibis is working on a shock spec to make the longer travel HDR650b option a bit easier to set-up:

Mojo HDR 650b | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US

"Like with its predecessor the Mojo HD, it's possible to set up your HDR 650b with travel greater than 130mm. You need to travel limit the shock in order to do this. If you configure an HDR this way you can get about 140mm or 145mm of travel depending on tire size.
    Please keep in mind that changing travel on the HD and now HDR is something that people have figured out on their own, this has not been an Ibis spec shock set up. Changing the travel or eye to eye on your shock needs to be done carefully or you can damage your frame. We are currently working on an Ibis approved shock spec for those wishing to run their HDR in longer travel 650b mode. We will update as info becomes available."
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On the Bikeco website, what they did to make HDR 147mm is a secret. But they must also charge an arm+leg if they're already taking a stock $2700 HDR frame and tuning the shock. Are these frames still covered under factory warranty afterwards?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On the Bikeco website, what they did to make HDR 147mm is a secret. But they must also charge an arm+leg if they're already taking a stock $2700 HDR frame and tuning the shock. Are these frames still covered under factory warranty afterwards?
    Why assume? You know what they say about assuming right? Why not call and ask, I did.

No they don't charge an arm and a leg, they actually give you credit for the 'stock' shock and then charge you for the new tuned one. Their price for the tuned shock is reasonable when compared to other tuners out there.

If I remember correctly it was around $2725 with the new tuned shock.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

TwoTone is right on track about BikeCo

I just finalized my HDR build with them yesterday with the 147mm option TST-R and they work some kind of magic with pricing, very impressed. Especially considering the amount of time they've spent on the phone with me to cover all the details and for the right price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    While it may not be something they post on their website, I don't know many people who would buy a frame like that without having the details disclosed to them.

mtbr member
    So I wonder what the geo is like with 650b wheels, 140-145mm rear travel, and a pike/fox 34 reduced to 150mm. I'm happy with my BB height on my 26" wheeled HD160. If I can get 650 wheels on this new hdr and only lose 10-15mm suspension travel and keep the same BB height I'd be good with that. The 130mm travel is gonna come up a bit short for me. I'm sure it would be faster for flowy trail riding, but if I have only one trail bike I want it to be able to take on some harder riding than 130mm travel allows. I know 15mm of travel isn't a lot, but 30mm less is not going to cut it. 145rear/150 front would work, especially with a bit bigger wheel.

mtbr member
    Conekilr,

When do you hope to take delivery of your 147 HDR?

I'm seriously looking at the same ride and would love to hear your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I called Bikeco and spoke with a salesperson/tech, then a salesgirl. It was informative, but it sounds like basically they take a Marzocchi shock, change the internals and customize the valving, eye to eye, and stroke length. It doesn't sound like anything else is done such as different limbo chips, or play with the links. Or at least they didn't tell me anything to that effect, unless I just didn't understand right.

But for sure, if I'm going to plunk down $2700+ I need to know what they've done to the original frame and parts. What they do sounds good but I'd just rather have a factory built-from-the-ground-up 650b 150mm travel AM Mojo frame. Then I can take my own shock choice (Such as a Monarch) and have it tuned myself.

Apparently these HDRs are really selling, so I don't anticipate Ibis redesigning it anytime soon. Too bad. I really think this HDR could have been an even better design. Oh well. Market demand

mtbr member
    Yeah from reading into it, its just the internals of the shock modded, nothing too fancy. I'm just curious how the suspension curve works/ bb height, etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Yeah from reading into it, its just the internals of the shock modded, nothing too fancy. I'm just curious how the suspension curve works/ bb height, etc
    I ordered one a week ago, 147mm rear travel (short shock), 150mm Pike. Once I get it I'll measure BB and HA (and anything else you want), unless Conekilr beats me to it. Mine is supposed to arrive last week of July.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey Kibosh, your in line after me. : ) I ordered a 147mm rear with the ProTune Fox front fork 150mm about 1.5 wks ago. Large Blue.
    I am interested to see what you think about the Pike. I decided to stick with the Fox as they told me with the ProTune it is a totally different fork
    Same here, I will post the dimensions and a ride review right away.
    I can't wait !

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just curious, what size is everyone getting for the HDR ?
    I am just a hair under 5' 11" and my last Mojo was Large, but just wondering if the sizing on the HDR would be different ? Perhaps a Med would be better ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey Kibosh, your in line after me. : ) I ordered a 147mm rear with the ProTune Fox front fork 150mm about 1.5 wks ago. Large Blue.
    I am interested to see what you think about the Pike. I decided to stick with the Fox as they told me with the ProTune it is a totally different fork
    Same here, I will post the dimensions and a ride review right away.
    I can't wait !
    I'm local though (maybe you are too), so when they are done, I get it the same day, I don't have to wait for them to ship it to me.

They told me the same thing about the Fox fork, that they can work magic with it, but I decided to try something new and get the Pike, plus the Pike is black on black, which looks good on the black frame and I got a reverb dropper post which is also black on black. I just wish the yellow details were stickers and not paint.

I am (a little over) 6' and got the large, was thinking about the XL though. At 5'11" large is probably the right way to go. I rode a medium (with a really long stem) and it didn't feel right, way too cramped.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yes, I am out of town, so you will probably have your bike before me.
    I agree, the large should be good, thanks for the feedback and enjoy !

Too Much Fun

Stick with the Large

I am just a hair under 5' 11" and my last Mojo was Large, but just wondering if the sizing on the HDR would be different ? Perhaps a Med would be better ?
    IMO, Mojo C/Mojo SL/Mojo SL-R sizing translates pretty directly to the HD/HD-R.

I'm 5'8" and ride a Med SL and now a Med HD. I've got rider pals who are a bit taller then me, maybe close to 5'10"-5'11", and they're on Large HD's.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stop all this talk of taking delivery on these 147s. Grr. They sound sweet. I guess it'll be a long time before Hans makes a factory HDR at 150mm. The 130 HDRs seem to be selling well. I still don't get it though. 130 on the HD? I'd just assume make an SL 140 instead

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Stop all this talk of taking delivery on these 147s. Grr. They sound sweet. I guess it'll be a long time before Hans makes a factory HDR at 150mm. The 130 HDRs seem to be selling well. I still don't get it though. 130 on the HD? I'd just assume make an SL 140 instead
    What's with the 3mm hang up? 147mm HDR is a shock change that's it. I'm new to looking at Ibis bikes and it didn't take much research to learn that's how others where getting more travel.
    Hell even in this thread it's spelled out for you. Does that sound like a company voiding frame warranties for putting a longer shock on?

from about 5 posts up
    "Like with its predecessor the Mojo HD, it's possible to set up your HDR 650b with travel greater than 130mm. You need to travel limit the shock in order to do this. If you configure an HDR this way you can get about 140mm or 145mm of travel depending on tire size.
    Please keep in mind that changing travel on the HD and now HDR is something that people have figured out on their own, this has not been an Ibis spec shock set up. Changing the travel or eye to eye on your shock needs to be done carefully or you can damage your frame. We are currently working on an Ibis approved shock spec for those wishing to run their HDR in longer travel 650b mode. We will update as info becomes available." "
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So for those that have ordered the 147mm HDR... were you really not told what the HA/BB measures in at before you handed over your cash?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattoid View Post
    So for those that have ordered the 147mm HDR... were you really not told what the HA/BB measures in at before you handed over your cash?
    I was told 0.2" higher BB than stock. HA with a 150mm fork would be about the same as stock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    large for sure...Truuuuussssstttttt Meeeeee!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kibosh View Post
    I was told 0.2" higher BB than stock. HA with a 150mm fork would be about the same as stock.

They did say 0.2" higher than stock but also that its lower than a stock 26" HD. But they did not specify what the BB height is.

Those of you with the HDR 147mm's. Can you measure you BB heights? What is the actual weight on these frames too, not just the claimed weights?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

They did say 0.2' higher than stock but also that its lower than a stock 26" HD. But they did not specify what the BB height is.

Those of you with the HDR 147mm's. Can you measure you BB heights? What is the actual weight on these frames too, not just the claimed weights?

Wow really? .2" higher than stock, there you go that is the BB height. Take that, add to the number you'll find here Mojo HDR 650b | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US and you have your BB height.

Here's the bb height for the stock 160mm Mojo HDR | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US Take that number and compare to the height you get above, is it lower? Hint: Yes

Do you bother to try and find out anything for yourself first?
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

They did say 0.2" higher than stock but also that its lower than a stock 26" HD. But they did not specify what the BB height is.

I don't know if anyone on here has actually received their 147mm bike yet. Once I get mine I will post up info. Probably won't be able to give you frame only weight since it's a full build.

As far as BB height and HA, there are probably some slight variations between each bike depending on tires size and various fork A2C values. I don't get too hung up on the absolute numbers if it rides the way I want.

Too Much Fun

Quote Originally Posted by kirchart View Post
    I don't get too hung up on the absolute numbers if it rides the way I want.
    ...and that my friends, is the key to enjoying a bike.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kirchart View Post
    I don't know if anyone on here has actually received their 147mm bike yet. Once I get mine I will post up info. Probably won't be able to give you frame only weight since it's a full build.

As far as BB height and HA, there are probably some slight variations between each bike depending on tires size and various fork A2C values. I don't get too hung up on the absolute numbers if it rides the way I want.
    Yes, I agree. The truth is in the ride. But I'd like to get an idea of some real world measurements out there. Claimed BB height and weights are always just that; claimed and not real world. I'd like to know what I'm getting before plunking down all that $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for these expensive frames. I already know the BB height on my std 160 HD is a bit tall for me.

I look forward to seeing those numbers. It'll be interesting to see.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Any idea on the cost of this 147mm BikeCo upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by luvbuggin View Post
    Try calling them?
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvbuggin View Post
    Bikeco: 888 697 6717

mtbr member
    The quote I got from Bikeco for the shock is $550. You would utilize the 160mm chips with there custom shock

It is based on a Marzocchi Roco chassis with custom internals and modifications. It has a custom developed eye to eye and stroke allowing the 147mm of travel on the HDR. There are no offset bushings with the shock.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    Some clarification on the Bikeco setup. This is the same geometry of a HDR 160 with a 160mm travel fork 26 fork as long as you stick with a 150mm 275 fork which is 67.5 degrees. Both are ~545mm A2C. With a 160mm travel 275 fork it will be similar geometry to a 26/170mm fork which are both ~555mm A2C or approximately 66.5 degrees. BB height should be around the 14.2" I measured on a friends HD with a similar setup.

Bikeco does not change the limbo chips, they are tuning and shimming the shock to reduce the shock travel approximately 5mm. You will still be limited to sub 2.3 tires in the rear. The pricing is very competitive since to buy the frame and have someone else mod the shock will probably add $400 to the price. Someone else noted a Bikeco price of $2725, but I have not verified that number.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Some clarification on the Bikeco setup. This is the same geometry of a HDR 160 with a 160mm travel fork 26 fork as long as you stick with a 150mm 275 fork which is 67.5 degrees. Both are ~545mm A2C. With a 160mm travel 275 fork it will be similar geometry to a 26/170mm fork which are both ~555mm A2C or approximately 66.5 degrees. BB height should be around the 14.2" I measured on a friends HD with a similar setup.

Bikeco does not change the limbo chips, they are tuning and shimming the shock to reduce the shock travel approximately 5mm. You will still be limited to sub 2.3 tires in the rear. The pricing is very competitive since to buy the frame and have someone else mod the shock will probably add $400 to the price. Someone else noted a Bikeco price of $2725, but I have not verified that number.
    That was me, I called and if you buy the frame, they credit you for the stock shock.
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Wow really? .2" higher than stock, there you go that is the BB height. Take that, add to the number you'll find here Mojo HDR 650b | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US and you have your BB height.

Here's the bb height for the stock 160mm Mojo HDR | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US Take that number and compare to the height you get above, is it lower? Hint: Yes

Do you bother to try and find out anything for yourself first?
    You have to add it to the 160/26 bike, not the 130/275 bike. Copy and paste from the other 275 thread;

That being said, I think that the Bikeco numbers are questionable. I would like a REALLY good explanation on how they are extending the travel of the bike in 130 mode since that is the ONLY way they could get the BB between the 275 and 160 bike. BTW a 150 travel 275 fork is the same length as a 160 travel 26 fork which is also going to raise the BB.

I guarantee that they are not doing this since the wheel would hit the seat tube. They are instead using the 160 limbo chips with an 8.5x2.5 shock and a 5mm delrin washer to limit the travel. That 5mm washer times a 2.6 leverage ratio equals 13mm reduction in travel equalling 147mm. That 13mm reduction is at the END of the stroke so the static BB measurement will be 13.8 with 26 wheels in theoretical land. In the really real world with decent sized tires (anyone run Hans Dampfs?) you are going to see a 14.0" BB height on the 26 160 bike. Add in the height of the 275 wheels and you get 14.2" BB height which is exactly what I have measured on other 275 147 setups.

mtbr member
    any ride reports on the bikeco HDR 140mm+ setup?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have Marzocchi Canada down the street. From what it sounds like they can custom modify the shaft to shorten the EtoE on the shock. I'd imagine you would get similar results with a 5mm washer and offset bushings? The shock may benefit from a tune though. However I have been running my HD140 in 650b mode with offset bushings for a while. I haven't noticed any quirky behaviour with the shock performance. I was originally running a fox 36 at 140, but I found the steering to be slightly off. I've since borrowed a WB Loop to try a larger offset, and it handles fantastic. So now I'm looking to get a 34 650b fork.

With both offset bushings fully offset, Loop fork at 140, archEX rims with Maxxis Highroller 2 2.3 tires, I have a BB of 13.5, maybe a hair lower.

I have a 160mm setup (chips and shock), so what I may do is at least install the HV shock with bushings to see generally what BB we are looking at before I shim it. The only thing is the Loop is borrowed so I don't want to increase the travel to 150. But it will give me a ballpark figure.

The picture is with an Ardent 2.25, which proves to actually be a bit taller than the HR.

Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hey, Ibis Folks: Any thoughts of doing HDR 150mm??-image.jpg  

Hey, Ibis Folks: Any thoughts of doing HDR 150mm??-image.jpg  

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by ukr77 View Post
    With both offset bushings fully offset, Loop fork at 140, archEX rims with Maxxis Highroller 2 2.3 tires, I have a BB of 13.5, maybe a hair lower.

The picture is with an Ardent 2.25, which proves to actually be a bit taller than the HR.
    Interesting! Eager to hear your results @160 with the offset bushings. Incidentally, how is the tire clearance w/the HR & Ardents on the HD?
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast