Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey, Ibis Folks: Any thoughts of doing HDR 150mm??

I love the way my HD rides. It's the std 160 travel AM rig. Love it, love it. Then I 650b'd my TRc (Sorry to mention another brand here) and love it too. It really came alive with the 650b. So then I hear the HD is now in a 650b version too. Yippie. "Now the symphony is playing in full harmony, birds are chirping..."

Until I read that it's 130mm?! "Music soundtrack coming to an abrupt warping..." Huh????? That's even less than the SL. Why make the HD 130mm and not 150mm? I'm sorry I just dont get it.

150mm 650b HD with correct geometry, not having to modify anything like shimming rear shocks, gobs of rear wheel clearance, a BB height of around 13.2-13.5 now that would be the ticket.

Hans, and the Ibis folks. You folks have excellent customer service. I was just wondering...
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post

150mm 650b HD with correct geometry, not having to modify anything like shimming rear shocks, gobs of rear wheel clearance, a BB height of around 13.2-13.5 now that would be the ticket.

Hans, and the Ibis folks. You folks have excellent customer service. I was just wondering...
    That would be a different bike. Especially since the 27.5 fork is longer and the tires are getting larger all the time, it is pretty challenging to lower the bike that much.
    H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    More to the bike than the travel.......Stiffness and Geometry. I would imagine the SL-R to be lighter and quicker feeling in turns than the HD-R even with 130mm travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    That would be a different bike. Especially since the 27.5 fork is longer and the tires are getting larger all the time, it is pretty challenging to lower the bike that much.
    H
    Hi Hans,

Any comments on the configurations bikeco.com is making available? If I were getting an HDR right now, their 147mm 27.5 setup is the one I would get. It seems like this is the 27.5 HD most people want.

The Bike Company - Powered by ironfly internet

mtbr member
    Until I read that it's 130mm?! Huh????? That's even less than the SL....
    I thought Hans said somewhere that the 26" Mojo HD 140 was actually only 130....( not sure what the actual measurement is on the Mojo SL).

I think 130-140 is the sweet spot for a 650b trail/am bike. 150-160 might be nice for bigger stuff (AM/FR) but like he said, then it's a different bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have the Bike-co 150MM HDR and I could not be more pleased. I'm sure the stock HDR in 650B is awesome but nothing compares to a Bike-co set-up period, end of story (There is a reason why Joe is Brian Lopes personal mechanic). My HDR has More travel and my BB is lower then my old 26" Bike-co built HD. I love Ibis, I have been riding them since they returned but Bike-co will take an already superior, class leading bike and make it even better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsdad View Post
    I have the Bike-co 150MM HDR and I could not be more pleased. I'm sure the stock HDR in 650B is awesome but nothing compares to a Bike-co set-up period, end of story (There is a reason why Joe is Brian Lopes personal mechanic). My HDR has More travel and my BB is lower then my old 26" Bike-co built HD. I love Ibis, I have been riding them since they returned but Bike-co will take an already superior, class leading bike and make it even better.
    What are the geometry numbers for the Bikeco HDR?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm not exactly sure but I will call them tomorrow and get the numbers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I'm not exactly sure but I will call them tomorrow and get the numbers.
    What fork did you pair with the Bikeco shock? Did you go with the short shock or long shock with offset bushings? Would like to know what the HA is plus BB height?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just ordered a BikeCo HDR 650b with 147mm travel.
    They really know what they are doing and the ProTune front fork from Fox (150mm) is a totally different animal. The rear shock they use is tuned to get the 147mm and I will be running a 2.25" rear tire, so clearance is not much of an issue.
    I can't wait to get this bike as my original Mojo c is 6.5 yrs old and I am over due !

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Quote Originally Posted by dcpowpow View Post
    I just ordered a BikeCo HDR 650b with 147mm travel.
    They really know what they are doing and the ProTune front fork from Fox (150mm) is a totally different animal. The rear shock they use is tuned to get the 147mm and I will be running a 2.25" rear tire, so clearance is not much of an issue.
    I can't wait to get this bike as my original Mojo c is 6.5 yrs old and I am over due !
    Are they setting you up with the short shock or the long shock? Did you ask them what the difference is between the long shock versus using the short shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Long body shock. It has more volume. They are amazing on the phone and if you order a bike, they will spend the time to go over every detail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by dcpowpow View Post
    Long body shock. It has more volume. They are amazing on the phone and if you order a bike, they will spend the time to go over every detail.
    Nice. I think the long shock uses offset bushings so I'd appreciate you measuring the HA and BB height when you get it. Assume it's a 8.5x2.5 but would appreciate confirmation on that also. Thanks.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What exactly do they do to make the bike 'this' amazing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Nice. I think the long shock uses offset bushings so I'd appreciate you measuring the HA and BB height when you get it. Assume it's a 8.5x2.5 but would appreciate confirmation on that also. Thanks.
    Has anyone gotten specific info on this yet? I'm curious to know what the recipe is.

Too Much Fun

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Some info on Ibis site...

It's worth noting (didn't see it mentioned in the thread) that Ibis is working on a shock spec to make the longer travel HDR650b option a bit easier to set-up:

Mojo HDR 650b | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US

"Like with its predecessor the Mojo HD, it's possible to set up your HDR 650b with travel greater than 130mm. You need to travel limit the shock in order to do this. If you configure an HDR this way you can get about 140mm or 145mm of travel depending on tire size.
    Please keep in mind that changing travel on the HD and now HDR is something that people have figured out on their own, this has not been an Ibis spec shock set up. Changing the travel or eye to eye on your shock needs to be done carefully or you can damage your frame. We are currently working on an Ibis approved shock spec for those wishing to run their HDR in longer travel 650b mode. We will update as info becomes available."
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On the Bikeco website, what they did to make HDR 147mm is a secret. But they must also charge an arm+leg if they're already taking a stock $2700 HDR frame and tuning the shock. Are these frames still covered under factory warranty afterwards?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    On the Bikeco website, what they did to make HDR 147mm is a secret. But they must also charge an arm+leg if they're already taking a stock $2700 HDR frame and tuning the shock. Are these frames still covered under factory warranty afterwards?
    Why assume? You know what they say about assuming right? Why not call and ask, I did.

No they don't charge an arm and a leg, they actually give you credit for the 'stock' shock and then charge you for the new tuned one. Their price for the tuned shock is reasonable when compared to other tuners out there.

If I remember correctly it was around $2725 with the new tuned shock.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

TwoTone is right on track about BikeCo

I just finalized my HDR build with them yesterday with the 147mm option TST-R and they work some kind of magic with pricing, very impressed. Especially considering the amount of time they've spent on the phone with me to cover all the details and for the right price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    While it may not be something they post on their website, I don't know many people who would buy a frame like that without having the details disclosed to them.

mtbr member
    So I wonder what the geo is like with 650b wheels, 140-145mm rear travel, and a pike/fox 34 reduced to 150mm. I'm happy with my BB height on my 26" wheeled HD160. If I can get 650 wheels on this new hdr and only lose 10-15mm suspension travel and keep the same BB height I'd be good with that. The 130mm travel is gonna come up a bit short for me. I'm sure it would be faster for flowy trail riding, but if I have only one trail bike I want it to be able to take on some harder riding than 130mm travel allows. I know 15mm of travel isn't a lot, but 30mm less is not going to cut it. 145rear/150 front would work, especially with a bit bigger wheel.

mtbr member
    Conekilr,

When do you hope to take delivery of your 147 HDR?

I'm seriously looking at the same ride and would love to hear your thoughts.
    -
    BikeThreads.com.au
    T-Shirts and stuff for fellow bike nuts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I called Bikeco and spoke with a salesperson/tech, then a salesgirl. It was informative, but it sounds like basically they take a Marzocchi shock, change the internals and customize the valving, eye to eye, and stroke length. It doesn't sound like anything else is done such as different limbo chips, or play with the links. Or at least they didn't tell me anything to that effect, unless I just didn't understand right.

But for sure, if I'm going to plunk down $2700+ I need to know what they've done to the original frame and parts. What they do sounds good but I'd just rather have a factory built-from-the-ground-up 650b 150mm travel AM Mojo frame. Then I can take my own shock choice (Such as a Monarch) and have it tuned myself.

Apparently these HDRs are really selling, so I don't anticipate Ibis redesigning it anytime soon. Too bad. I really think this HDR could have been an even better design. Oh well. Market demand

mtbr member
    Yeah from reading into it, its just the internals of the shock modded, nothing too fancy. I'm just curious how the suspension curve works/ bb height, etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Yeah from reading into it, its just the internals of the shock modded, nothing too fancy. I'm just curious how the suspension curve works/ bb height, etc
    I ordered one a week ago, 147mm rear travel (short shock), 150mm Pike. Once I get it I'll measure BB and HA (and anything else you want), unless Conekilr beats me to it. Mine is supposed to arrive last week of July.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast