IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004

Here's how well the Mojo pedals...

Today I demoed a medium Mojo at Passion Trail Bikes, in Belmont, California. After getting the fork and shock pressures set up, I set out for a 2.5 hour ride with a good size group of people.

As I pedaled, I noticed very little bob in the suspension, comparable to the bob in my current bike, but an unbelievable plushness in the stroke. Here's the kicker: When I got back to the shop, I realized that because the mounting of the shock is different from the mounting on my own bike, I essentially did the entire ride with the pro-pedal turned all the way off. I couldn't believe the bike pedaled that well with virtually no platform.

Normally I ride my own bike with a PUSHed RP23 with the platform setting on 3 to keep the pedaling efficient. On a Mojo, that's not necessary. If Ibis (or Pivot, for that matter) produces a dedicated all-mountain, 6" travel rig with a slacker head angle in the future, I believe I will have found my next bike. The DW-link is for real.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You can do some of that with the current Mojo. Take a look at the way Derby has configured his. It's on the last or second to last page of the Mojo pictures thread.

His 650B front wheel makes for a slightly slacker head angle and if you can tell the difference between 5.5" travel and 6" travel then ... hhhmmm, I don't know what to say.

Unpredictable
    Hi SV. The Mojo manual says 130mm or 150mm will work in addition to 140mm forks. There's your slacker head angle. Put some solid rims, 2.35 USTs and ask the guys here what rear shock option would improve your options. Many of us build our mojo light, but it still takes a hammering. Good (fun) luck.

mtbr member
    I can imagine that a slacker, heavier, 6+ travel Ibis would sell out fast (by heavy, I'm still thinking sub 6lbs)... I'd be very interested in a carbon Nomad killer...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hmmm, I've got a Nomad at present, my Mojo SL is on it's way right now
    So in a week or two i should be able to give you a comparison of an SL set up for more aggressive riding against my 32lb Nomad.

I will then decide whether to;

1) keep the Nomad and build the SL as a light FS. XC type machine
    2) Sell the Nomad and let the SL take over it's duties and also use it as my " ride all day " bike.

boba
    Dec 2007

Ibis "bob"

Yesterday was my 4th., two hour ride on my new Mojo Carbon w/fox talas 36. It is amazing how it climbs...without propedel on. Hardly any "bob" and excellent traction on wet and slippery rocks and roots. Running at least one gear lower at the back other than on the very steepest parts. A very knowledgeable friend and competent rider with a Nomad/ talas 36 and fox 5.0 commented that my Mojo hardly bob'd at all...I then told him I had the platform turned off! Yesterday, on a fairly smooth, long, steep climb that all of our group do in granny, I rode up in middle ring. Maybe 1/4 inch of bob. Part way up, I put on the platform in it's lowest setting....absolutely no bob that I could see. You can feel the bike efficiently, shoot ahead when accelerating rather than lose leg power to the shock as was the case with my other bike.

The talas 36 gives enough suspension and a slack enough head angle for all the steep parts I have done so far. I guess the talas 36 makes for about a 68.25 degree head angle whereas my old Gemini was 67. Not enough of a difference to make a fuss over. It is so nice to finish a ride having had a great workout, a fun ride and not feel exhausted from the work. So glad I bought one..as is my wife with her's w/ fox 32. I have taken bike/trail photos but have not been able to get the system to work yet.

bob

IPAs make me wanna puke.
    Dec 2004
    I know you can build the Mojo the way you described, but I don't think that's its "sweet spot." Rumor has it that Ibis and Pivot will be producing dedicated all mountain rigs in the future, so I'm happy to wait.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by SVSocrates
    I know you can build the Mojo the way you described, but I don't think that's its "sweet spot." Rumor has it that Ibis and Pivot will be producing dedicated all mountain rigs in the future, so I'm happy to wait.
    I'm with you on this. I'd be all over an Ibis or Pivot version of the IH 6Point/7point light, 7" travel bike with 67* HA or slacker.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 03-17-2008 at 12:05 PM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech