mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Smile help..suspensions expert is needed!

Hello folks,
    Can someone pls. help me with my suspension settings? I weight 185lbs. with gears and can't seem to find the "sweet spot" on my suspension. I have a marzocchi 55 with 160mm upfront, and a fox rp23 in the rear. I pretty much ride everything here in norcal. From rock gardens to some steep gnarly trails to just mellow fire roads with lots of climbing. Is there a setting for having a 5.5 travel rear and 6inch up front...what is ideal? I know some would say its a "preference", but I want to have a basic idea on what you folks out there are running yours. I need info on sags, air pressures, rebound...etc. I read something about having different sags on the fork and shock if they have different travels....? BTW, I ride a small mojo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help..suspensions expert is needed!-iphone-026-2-.jpg  

help..suspensions expert is needed!-iphone-025.jpg  

bike rider
    Shock: With ProPedal off, adjust air pressure till it sags 12mm (probably 155psi). Set rebound 4 clicks out from slow. Ride and experiment with rebound speed. Recheck sag after adjusting fork and write down pressure. You'll probably prefer the #3 ProPedal setting.

Fork: Back out compression adjuster. Set air pressure so it sags 1.5cm. Set rebound for a controlled feel, but faster than the rear. Set compression 1/4 of the way in from full soft. Ride and play with air pressure and compression to minimize diving and wallowing while maintaining bump absorption. Watch the dust line. If you don't get full travel on your biggest hits run less air pressure for more sag or less compression damping for a plusher feel.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Like what lelandjt says although I run min softer at approx 18mm sag at the rear.
    After compression the rear of the bike should come back to the sag point but not overshoot. Look for the rear compressing the then returning, no extra bounces. Same for the front. Be careful not to have the front too soft, or at least not softer than the rear otherwise you may find yourself getting bucked forwards a bit.
    Most importantly, write down your settings as you experiment and make judgments on how the bike rides on a piece of trail you know well, not the car park

flow where ever you go
    My small Mojo in Norcal likes ProPedal OFF, 15-16mm sag, and 4-5 clicks out (my RP23 has been Pushed but I think the favored settings are about the same as before Push). Setting the front (EXC 150) is harder because simple sag measurements don't work well on my bike/fork. After I set the front, I like to bounce up and down on the street and hop off curbs to work on getting the front rebound speed similar if not a bit faster than the rear. Hope that helps.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

aka dan51
    There was a thread a few weeks ago where many of us posted RP23 info and it was then put into a graph. Might be worth looking for it.
    I run about 10mm of sag and full slow rebound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As you can see (like many things in life) there's more than one way to get it done.

Ride adjust and then ride some more. Time yourself where possible, what feels good is not necessarily faster

flow where ever you go
    Write stuff down. When you get it how you like it - it's easier to replicate later.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks alot. By the way, what is "pushed"??? I've seen it here posted a couple of times, but what exactly is it...and what is the benefit of it...and how much does it cost? And also, its so hard to experiment on the trail...I usually just say f*@#k it and ride the hell out...hehehe! Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Send the shock to Push, don't know much about the zokes, is that an air or coil fork?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareaflip
    Thanks alot. By the way, what is "pushed"??? I've seen it here posted a couple of times, but what exactly is it...and what is the benefit of it...and how much does it cost? And also, its so hard to experiment on the trail...I usually just say f*@#k it and ride the hell out...hehehe! Thanks for the info.
    "pushed" is when you send it to pushindustries.com, and they tune it to your weight and riding style. Costs about $250.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    I'm your weight and before I had the coil I was running 175psi in the RP23 while trying to get rid of the wallowing feeling while climbing.
    As far as the fork goes I have a 2008 TALAS 36 with 65 to 70psi and LSC/HSC 3 clicks out, and rebound set in the middle. Those settings have been about the best compromise for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan51
    "pushed" is when you send it to pushindustries.com, and they tune it to your weight and riding style. Costs about $250.
    I think its more like 160

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yodi...I have an air shock...RP23.

mtbr member
    No I meant the fork

flow where ever you go
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I think its more like 160
    That's right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Smile

its an air fork with infinite adjustment.This fork is actually nice since you can lower it down to the lowest of 120mm...I think? You just have to stop and turn to about 30 clicks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have that fork, is it a 55 ATA2 2008 model? Expect it to be malfunctioning soon (seals breaking, oil levels fessing up), other than that, it works like a dream, when it works.
    I'm looking forward to sending mine into zokes this summer while I'm on vacation since I'm not getting full travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentes_88
    I have that fork, is it a 55 ATA2 2008 model? Expect it to be malfunctioning soon (seals breaking, oil levels fessing up), other than that, it works like a dream, when it works.
    I'm looking forward to sending mine into zokes this summer while I'm on vacation since I'm not getting full travel.
    I think I have the 09'. But none the less, I am aware of the quality...just waiting for mine to have an issue. You said your sending yours to Zokes??? Where is that?