mtbr member

Help with measurements translation

Hi everybody!

Although I think most of people who write in this forum come form USA, I suppose there are people from other countries too (for example, I come from Spain) and sometimes, when you use your measures system (feet and inches) when you talk about frames sizing, I don't understand you.

Which is the difference between feet and feet/inches? I have an app in the iPhone that translates measures, and according to my height:

- If you translate it to ft/in: 1,82 metres = 5ft 11.65in
    - If you translate it only to ft: 1,82 metres = 6ft

I don't understand the difference and I would like to know which is the equivalence of my height according to your measures system, in order to compare the link height/frame size of people who write here.

Maby, it could be a stupid question for some of you but it could help me to choose my future Mojo HD frame size.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi Lobanovskyy,

In the US measurement system, there are 12 inches in 1 foot. So to answer your question, you are very nearly 6 feet tall. 5 feet 11.65 inches equals 71.65 inches, where as 6 feet 0 inches equals 72 inches. I would imagine your app on your iPhone is just rounding up to 6 feet since you are very close to 6 feet in height. I hope that helps to answer your question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlechnow View Post
    Hi Lobanovskyy,

In the US measurement system, there are 12 inches in 1 foot. So to answer your question, you are very nearly 6 feet tall. 5 feet 11.65 inches equals 71.65 inches, where as 6 feet 0 inches equals 72 inches. I would imagine your app on your iPhone is just rounding up to 6 feet since you are very close to 6 feet in height. I hope that helps to answer your question.
    Thank you very much, tlechnow!

I think that I have just understood it. I thought that inches's scale were from 0 to 100 and when you get 100 inches, the feet increase. But according to your answer, the inches's scale is from 0 to 12 (13 "does not exist") and over 12, the feet increase, does it?

And because of that, 5ft 11.65in is practically the same than 6ft...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Yup, you've got it. No 13 or higher on the inches scale. Once you get to 12 the foot increases by 1 and you start over at 0 inches.

mtbr member
    Perfect! I hope this information can help to other people...