mtbr member

Help me get my next mojo

Greetings,

I splurged on an early version of the original mojo carbon, full xtr, with some upgrades and updates since, but after 6 years of riding it, I'm looking to get an SLR (not in a hurry, and would like to wait for the models with direct mount rear der. - so I'm thinking next spring at the earliest).

Of course, since the first bike was a splurge, the family finance officer, despite being cute and loving, does not support a similarly high end purchase, no matter how many years have passed. So I need to economize and/or spread out the financial burden, and want some input on how best to do so. I see two main options with lots of variations:

1. Complete Bike

2. Frame Only

The complete bike option gets me the whole package at a package price, but I would have to buy a lower end model and upgrade, which makes the package pricing less of a deal. Frame only would allow me to space out purchases, look for bargains on higher end parts, and transfer over some of the nice stuff off of my current ride...and just how to strategize selling off and making use of the old bike and its many parts is a big part of the issue, particularly given:

I have new xtr brakes (and sold the old ones)

I have new crest/king wheels (but still have my xtrs - in perfect shape)

I'd like to use the new brakes and wheels, leaving me without brakes on the otherwise complete bike I would want to sell.

If I get a complete bike, I'd want to swap out seat post, saddle, bars, pedals with my current bike, keeping the higher end stuff and selling my old bike with a mix of old and new parts (if I sold it complete)...and round and round and round the options go...

If anyone has some clear advice on the best strategy, I'd really appreciate it
    Riding: '91 Carbon Epic Stumpjumper w/1" Slicks and a Rack on the Back

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Look for a used demo from a good shop. You can get a lightly ridden used bike for a substantial savings.

mtbr member

Fire

Well that issue just got taken care of.

Our house burned to the ground a couple days ago
    in the Charlotte Fire in Pocatello, ID.

My wife and I lost 5 bikes, including my mojo...I guess I will be getting a new bike, one way or another

I'm curious to see whether carbon fiber melts or burns or what. We are supposed to get back into the neighborhood on Monday.
    Last edited by IPA Rider; 07-01-2012 at 09:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yikes man, sorry to hear about your loss, hope insurance covers everything.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Holy cow... I'm so sorry! I hope you end up with The Bike of Your Dreams™, even though that seems like a mighty petty reward for such a devastating event.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Thanks - we are all safe, and neighbors pulled my dog out of the smoking house (we couldn't get anywhere near the place by the time we knew). So feeling very lucky in many ways. We will see how good our insurance is.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Thanks - we are all safe, and neighbors pulled my dog out of the smoking house (we couldn't get anywhere near the place by the time we knew). So feeling very lucky in many ways. We will see how good our insurance is.
    In the summer of 2004 we had an arsonist setting fires all over our rural county, including a really bad one only a mile or so upwind of our house. We didn't have to evac (neighbors did) but we were told to get ready. The retardant bombers were passing so low over the house you could feel the engine noise in your (sinking) guts. They just barely got it stopped only maybe a quarter mile away and only a few hundred feet from the first house.

I have 3 dogs usually in kennels during the day, and this reminds me to get the drop chains on the doors again. I've told all the neighbors that if there's a fire and we're gone, they can just come in and put the chain on the hounds and get them out. Drop chains = 1'-2' chain with a snap on either end, typically used to tether hunting or sled dogs to a truck... makes it quick and easy to "park" them someplace temporarily.

Needless to say I'd try to get their dogs & horses out too if the tables were turned. I actually designed our dog yard fence & gates to safely hold big livestock just in case it was ever required.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Relieved everyone's safe.

And on the matter of priorities - Ibis demo fleet/tour in Ketchum at Elephant's Perch now thru the 3rd. Jackson 5-7th. Boise (Idaho Mountain Touring) on the 10th.

Let me know if you want company.

mtbr member
    The bike is not that important when a house and personal items are at stake. I'm sorry for your loss. At least your family and dog are alive and well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    In the summer of 2004 we had an arsonist setting fires all over our rural county, including a really bad one only a mile or so upwind of our house. We didn't have to evac (neighbors did) but we were told to get ready. The retardant bombers were passing so low over the house you could feel the engine noise in your (sinking) guts. They just barely got it stopped only maybe a quarter mile away and only a few hundred feet from the first house.

I have 3 dogs usually in kennels during the day, and this reminds me to get the drop chains on the doors again. I've told all the neighbors that if there's a fire and we're gone, they can just come in and put the chain on the hounds and get them out. Drop chains = 1'-2' chain with a snap on either end, typically used to tether hunting or sled dogs to a truck... makes it quick and easy to "park" them someplace temporarily.

Needless to say I'd try to get their dogs & horses out too if the tables were turned. I actually designed our dog yard fence & gates to safely hold big livestock just in case it was ever required.
    Good idea, and people seem to get it around here and came through big time helping out. Once we get back into the area, I will be thanking (and finding out what kind of drink to supply to) the guy who rescued our dog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IPA Rider View Post
    Well that issue just got taken care of.

Our house burned to the ground a couple days ago
    in the Charlotte Fire in Pocatello, ID.

My wife and I lost 5 bikes, including my mojo...I guess I will be getting a new bike, one way or another
    Holy Crap, that is such a bummer. Very sorry to hear it. Glad you and yours are OK though.

Hans

mtbr member
    Man I am sorry that happened. I used to fight forest fires and my boss had his mountain bike and road bike in the back of his truck in the parking lot at work and when we were out on a fire another fire came through our camp and burned up his car and everything. The government did not pay for any of it and his car insurance would not pay for anything in the car. It was a serious bummer. Once again I am glad everyone is safe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sorry to hear about your situation, although it's great news to hear family (including dog) are safe.

Best of luck with the insurance company. Hope it all works out ok...

Slothful dirt hippie
    Well... irony never sleeps.... we just survived a 23,000 acre burn right up to a cat line dug through the back part of our property. <100' separated your story from ours. No human lives were lost in the whole event and everyone we know was able to get pets and livestock out, but our heart aches for our neighbors who lost so much and we'll be trying to help them any way we can.

Drop chains on the kennel and box in the yard definitely were handy though in getting the whole circus out of here fast. My parents had to evac our place as we were on vacation... hounds spent a couple days driving a local vet nuts. If it had been us we probably would have just kept the dogs with us off the truck at someone's driveway.