mtbr member
    May 2011

Help me choose a rear tire for my HD!

Riding a stock HD 160 w/ stans rims. I prefer to run tubeless because I like lower tire pressure. I ripped six holes in my Mutanos before I finally gave up on them. Tried continental mountain kings. They were way too soft and were bald in about a month. (I also managed to rip a hole in the 2.4 rear.)

Presently, I'm running a 2.5 Minion DHF Exo up front and I LOVE IT! Now i'm just looking for a good rear tire to match it. My primary concern is durability. I want a tire that'll last more than a month and that I won't constantly rip holes in. I'm considering putting another 2.5 minion on the rear, but all that rotating weight seems a little absurd.

I ride mostly in the vail valley in CO. Loose, gravely and moondusty corners are the name of the game. There's more moisture, soil, rocks and roots up at the higher elevations. 90% of my riding is all mountain. 10% lift service. I also like to get out to the front range, fruita, juction, moab and slat lake as much as I can.

So, can you recommend some tires that won't send stans fluid flying everywhere every time I roll over a sharp rock?

(Oh yeah, I know I should ride smoother. I'm trying...)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have been running Hans Dampfs tubeless on my HD this season and have had good luck so far. My local trail is very rocky and I've had no issues. It only comes in a 2.35 but it looks a lot bigger.

Lightly salted
    Ditto on the Hans dampf. Make sure you get the snakeskin sidewall and pacestar compound for the rear. The Pace star compound is a firm rubber and the trailstar is pretty soft rubber and better as a front tire . The 2.35 hans is large for it's size, probably close to or as large as the minion 2.5, but much lighter. I been running one on the rear of my hd, and it's held up good.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Maybe try the Maxxis Ardent 26x2.4 EXO. I've been running it since last spring, and it's fantastic all around. Good knobs in the middle for traction and braking, as well as low-profile intermediate nubs. Best part is they roll fast in a straight line and grip like crazy when cornering due to their aggro cornering knobs. I rode it from November to May (about 30 times) in the Park City area, Moab, Salt Lake, Fruita & Phil's world, and Sedona. I tend to pump and work the trail more than plow, but the sidewalls saw plenty of oh sh*t moments and I'm still running that same tire today back in VT as the tread is still doing great. Doing great after 1/2 season in VT, 30 rides out west, and 1/2 season again in VT. It is however beyond overkill in PC and Fruita (but then again so was my Minion DHF 3C - but they still made me happy)
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I run the 2.5 minion DHF EXO up front and a 2.5 Ignitor EXO out back.

If they made the old high roller in 2.5 AND EXO I'd run that instead but I like the Ignitor.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Had the same problem with my Mutanos, running WTB Bronson's now with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Minion single plys are about the same weight as an Ardent.
    I run Minions front and back and they are great. Both are 3C's though I may try a straight EXo

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    2.3 dhf exo

if its working for the front it'll work in the rear in a slightly smaller size.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Have Schwalbe improved their compound on the Hans Dampf. Not been impressed with Nobby, Alberts, Rockets. Feel plasticky compared to Maxxis and can be treacherous in greasy conditions.
    Love my Setup 2.5 EXO 3C front and back. Tyres are lighter than the Hi Roller Lusts and 2.35 UST ST I used to run.

For a rear I sometimes run a Crossmark in 2.25 Rolls fats but TBH the traction is very second best to the Minion

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    2.3 dhf exo .
    Pretty sure the 2.3 doesn't have the exo. Otherwise that would be perfect. Oh, think of the cornering!

mtbr member
    I'm running the 2.5 dhf (EXO) and 2.35 dhf (folding) and love it. Also ride in CO, Gunnison and CB.

Oh and I'm ALL about cornering!

Dropshot Champ!
    +1 on the ardent rear. I think it would pair great with a minion.

I would say try the 2.3 bronson since it's such a great rear tire, but if you're a bigger guy or ride super aggressively, side knobs tear

Lightly salted
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    +1 on the ardent rear. I think it would pair great with a minion.

I would say try the 2.3 bronson since it's such a great rear tire, but if you're a bigger guy or ride super aggressively, side knobs tear
    ^this. The bronsons are really good front or rear, but i only run as a front tire now. The rear bronson side knobs just don't last.