You Are What You Is

HELP with Ibis TiMojo (x-post)

I've got a chance to pick up an XL TiMojo frame only but the guy wants $1250. I thought that was a tad high - I'd consider $1000. I'm trying to get an idea of what year the frame is. It looks to NOT have the handjob cable guide, and it's got the most recent sticker set I believe. I'm thinking 2000/2001? Anyway, what do you think is a fair price for this frame (in unscathed, great condition) and what year is it approx.?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I inquired about that frame too when I saw the bike on eBay.
    It does not have the handjob (I asked about that).

My best guess is that it was built in 1997 since he lists the top tube length at 23.5", which is what the top tube length of the XL Ti Mojo and steel Mojo were until 97 when it went up to 23.75" for 1998.

You should also note that the frame angles of that frame is probably 71.5 head /71.5 seat tube with a 63 mm travel fork, so if you put anything longer on there you will have a very slack angle bike.
    Looking for a 20-21 inch (L/XL) steel/ti hardtail frame.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclesoflife
    I inquired about that frame too when I saw the bike on eBay.
    It does not have the handjob (I asked about that).

My best guess is that it was built in 1997 since he lists the top tube length at 23.5", which is what the top tube length of the XL Ti Mojo and steel Mojo were until 97 when it went up to 23.75" for 1998.

You should also note that the frame angles of that frame is probably 71.5 head /71.5 seat tube with a 63 mm travel fork, so if you put anything longer on there you will have a very slack angle bike.
    i would ask for a serial number... some people w/ contact w/ scot nicol (ssmike?) could place the exact yr of fabrication.
    it should be 63mm corrected. $1250 is a lot of cash.. i wouldn't. it's a ti bike. no paintjob.
    just an ibis decal. not even the handjob but then, it was $2500 new... and its a rare size.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

it's a 2000 , due to decals

they used script decals in 97, panels started in 99, no handjobs after 98 except hakalugi's.

over and out
    nate

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Also, keep in mind there were at least 2 different Ti models Ibis has offered. The "Ti Mojo" and the "Mai Tai" - which was less expensive with I believe straight gauge tubing.

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy
    they used script decals in 97, panels started in 99, no handjobs after 98 except hakalugi's.

over and out
    nate
    That's pretty much what I figured - 2000/2001 based on the stickers and no handjob.
    Thanks all for the good info. I still want it, but I REALLY don't want to pay more than $1000.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

I'd have trouble paying $1000 for that complete bike.

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    I've got a chance to pick up an XL TiMojo frame only but the guy wants $1250. I thought that was a tad high - I'd consider $1000.
    There are plenty of Ti frames that can be had for less than $1000 new. That frame/bike is a few years old so is basically just a used frame which generally drop to around half (or less) of their retail value after a year. Maybe in 10+ years there could be a collectible factor to drive its value back up.

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    There are plenty of Ti frames that can be had for less than $1000 new. That frame/bike is a few years old so is basically just a used frame which generally drop to around half (or less) of their retail value after a year. Maybe in 10+ years there could be a collectible factor to drive its value back up.
    Give me some examples of sub-$1000 Ti frames, 'cause I've been looking at Sycip, Indy Fab, Dean, Seven, Matt Chester, and they're all significantly more than $1000 except for the Dean at $1250. I did notice that Spicer will do a custom Ti frame for only $875.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne
    well, the ti mojo has a butted tubeset which threw it's price off the roof and the ibis handling is something to consider. it was $2500 for frameset only so $1000 , although big$ for a 4yrs old frame, makes sense.

the mai ti is easily recognizable cause of it's seatstays a la bontrager.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'd agree with most of what people have said, its gotta be later than a 99 if the stickers are original and considering the lack of hand job. Double butting is definitely what made the Ti Mojo special as medium usually weigh in at under 3 lbs. The butting is easy to spot with the ping of a finger along the top tube. I think for a complete bike 1250 is actually quite a good price... the Ti mojo is the best climbing bike I've ever ridden period [and boy do I need all the help I can get].

Joe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    this is not all that desireable a ti mojo, IMHO. the original ti mojo's had the DOUBLE TAPERED stays. that really made them special. no bike before or since has had them, to my knowledge.

this bike appears to be a later, non-sebastopol bike. perhaps strong, perhaps tst or similar.

either way, without those swank double tapered stays it should not command top dollar.