Thread: Headset Issue

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Headset Issue

I am in the process of doing some routine maintenance on my Mojo. Although my bike exhibited no signs of headset failure going into the "preventive maintenance", upon removing the fork (had to send it to Fox for a rebuild as the stancions were heavily scarred, but that is a whole other post) I discovered the bottom bearing was pretty much in pieces. I replaced the Crane Creek IS 2, with an IS 3, however I absolutely cannot tune all of the play out of the headset. How tight is too tight, I could get it tighter for sure but I already have it like really really tight. I feel as though no amount of space/movement is acceptable. What do you think, should I go even tighter. I do not feel any binding what so ever.
    I had it apart with the previous setup manytimes and never experienced this problem.
    Any advise would be helpful.
    Thanks
    YZF571

flow where ever you go
    Not to worry about over tight. If the spacers are in right, it shouldn't bind I think. I seem to recall Hans saying you can tighten it down good. But you say it is really, really tight so.... I suspect something else is the problem. Likely something is up with the IS 3 since you didn't have the problem with the IS 2. Make sure it's not Italian Standard, IS-3i. That's all I'm thinking of for now.

For your next replacement headset, the IS110 will never leave you with a bearing in pieces. 110 year warranty and truly amazing quality fit and finish.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

things to check

Quote Originally Posted by YZF571
    I am in the process of doing some routine maintenance on my Mojo. Although my bike exhibited no signs of headset failure going into the "preventive maintenance", upon removing the fork (had to send it to Fox for a rebuild as the stancions were heavily scarred, but that is a whole other post) I discovered the bottom bearing was pretty much in pieces. I replaced the Crane Creek IS 2, with an IS 3, however I absolutely cannot tune all of the play out of the headset. How tight is too tight, I could get it tighter for sure but I already have it like really really tight. I feel as though no amount of space/movement is acceptable. What do you think, should I go even tighter. I do not feel any binding what so ever.
    I had it apart with the previous setup manytimes and never experienced this problem.
    Any advise would be helpful.
    Thanks
    YZF571
    Did you happen to check these things?:

1. that the star nut is deep enough in the steerer
    2. that the steerer is cut short enough so the stack of stem, headset and spacers allows a bit of space for things to tighten down It has to be well below the stem or top spacer since the top cap goes down into the stem or top spacer a ways and can hit the steerer if it's not cut short enough.

I have made both these mistakes myself, that's why I mention them.

Drop us an email if it defies easy solution...

hans@ibiscycles.com

H
    Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.