Thread: Headset choice

mtbr member

Headset choice

Hi guys!

For a Mojo HD frame, which of these options do you prefer?

- Chris King InSet 3
    - Cane Creek Angleset

And why?

Thanks!

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobanovskyy View Post
    Hi guys!

For a Mojo HD frame, which of these options do you prefer?

- Chris King InSet 3
    - Cane Creek Angleset

And why?

Thanks!
    King or Hope all the way for set and forget no creaks no groans imo angle set not needed unless ya ride the alps all day, the bike is that up to it.

But if going for a angle set get a Works Components headset, I'll never have a CC again especially in an angle set, just my experience I hated the feel of the gimbal noise knocking we tried it all.

_____
    Jul 2007
    I'm not sure if it is my riding style or overall lack of talent but I have found that knocking a degree of the head angle has completely transformed my HD. I rode it for two years at 67 degrees and stumbled upon how much better it is at 66 when I temporarily ran a 140 rear/160 front setup while I waited for Push to rebuild my 160 shock. I have only one bike and wanted to ride while the shock was rebuilt. I was expecting the bike to handle poorly in 160/140 mode. Instead the bike absolutely railed in the corners and was much more stable in steep and techy sections. When I got my 160 shock back I compared angles between setups with my iPhone and found it to be 1 degree slacker. I ordered a -1 degree headset from Works the next day. I tried to run 160/160 while I waited a month for my headset to arrive but I switched it back to 160/140 even though my 140 shock sucked. It handled that much better. Got the Works headset installed three weeks ago and put my newly rebuilt Push rp23 back on (160/160) and the bike handles beautifully. The -1 Works headset is like Ritalin for my bike. Nervous and twitchy to calm and focused.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Headset choice

Chris King or Cane Creek 110 if straight headset. Both are really nice and will last forever. Don't like the seals on the cheaper CC ones. No experience with Hope. I tend to buy 110s myself.

Works Components if you want to slacken it out. Angle sets are finicky beasts to not get them to creak.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Would you like to add any opinion?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Hi guys,

I have heard that Chris King headsets are the best but, in order to get a more stable Mojo HD, I have also heard that the Cane Creek Angleset is the best option, reducing the angle from 67 to 66 and getting a larger wheelbase.

Will be worth the effort to get an CC Angleset? Do you think that this change in the angle and wheelbase lenght will be really noticieable?

Thanks.

_____
    Jul 2007
    See my reply above. 1 degree made a huge difference for me on my dry, loose and rocky trails. I read a number of reviews stating that the CC angle sets knock. Works Components out of the UK uses a simpler design. I ordered this one and it is working great after a month of riding.

NEW - 1 0 Degree EC44 -EC49 - Tapered Steerer Tube Headset

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've got a brand new hope in black zs44 / ec49 tapered
    And
    Works ec44 / ec49 -1
    Both for sale.