Thread: headset case

mojo mofo

New question here. headset case

My dealer has informed me that my Mojo should be making it's boat journey soon, in next few weeks hopefully. So now that it's a reality I am looking at the parts specs (SL) and the only thing I'm not sure about on any/all of the Mojo builds is the headset. I know Scot at Ibis has said in another post that he wouldn't put crapola on their bikes and with the comapny's track record of service and accountability (save the non Nicol days) I believe him.

I've had a few headsets grind themselves to oblivion, but to be fair I've never had an mtb bike with a Cane Creek IS headset, mostly because I thought it was a design more suited to road bikes. (?) Or maybe it just hasn't been done in mtb as a matter of convention, although a look at the Cane Creek site seems to indicate a heavy road bike bias. I got tired of worrying about it and went with King a few years back. I was sad to see that I couldn't get a King for this bike, apparently there's some frustration with the lack of a standard? Regardless, I don't want to start stressing over it again so I need to know if this Cane Creek IS is any good.

A riding bud of mine has a Cane in his Orbea and it won't stop grinding, even with regular cleaning. Parts that require service after every ride don't seem to be a reasonable solution for the mtb environment unless you have your own mechanic, and I would guess that Ibis doesn't want people to stop riding because they're sick of cleaning their rig. The quick wipe down after each ride and occasional drivetrain re-lube is expected, but rebuilding and repacking bearings after a few rides seems a bit much. Before anyone gets too defensive, I don't want to get into a pissing match, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know if that is what will be necessary and that's why I'm asking here.

Anyone able to give some info as to why Ibis went with IS? Is it because of the frame material? Is it because they rhyme? According to the Cane Creek site, IS headsets require very stringent headtube tolerances, I can see how composites would be great for that when they're new but over time with all the vibration and occasional crash there's bound to be some issues. (?)

Any constructive advice, relevant experience would be much appreciated. Also, it seems that there are a few levels of IS headsets anyone with the bike in hand care to comment on which one specifically comes with the SL build?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by talkshow-host
    My dealer has informed me that my Mojo should be making it's boat journey soon, in next few weeks hopefully. So now that it's a reality I am looking at the parts specs (SL) and the only thing I'm not sure about on any/all of the Mojo builds is the headset. I know Scot at Ibis has said in another post that he wouldn't put crapola on their bikes and with the comapny's track record of service and accountability (save the non Nicol days) I believe him.

I've had a few headsets grind themselves to oblivion, but to be fair I've never had an mtb bike with a Cane Creek IS headset, mostly because I thought it was a design more suited to road bikes. (?) Or maybe it just hasn't been done in mtb as a matter of convention, although a look at the Cane Creek site seems to indicate a heavy road bike bias. I got tired of worrying about it and went with King a few years back. I was sad to see that I couldn't get a King for this bike, apparently there's some frustration with the lack of a standard? Regardless, I don't want to start stressing over it again so I need to know if this Cane Creek IS is any good.

A riding bud of mine has a Cane in his Orbea and it won't stop grinding, even with regular cleaning. Parts that require service after every ride don't seem to be a reasonable solution for the mtb environment unless you have your own mechanic, and I would guess that Ibis doesn't want people to stop riding because they're sick of cleaning their rig. The quick wipe down after each ride and occasional drivetrain re-lube is expected, but rebuilding and repacking bearings after a few rides seems a bit much. Before anyone gets too defensive, I don't want to get into a pissing match, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know if that is what will be necessary and that's why I'm asking here.

Anyone able to give some info as to why Ibis went with IS? Is it because of the frame material? Is it because they rhyme? According to the Cane Creek site, IS headsets require very stringent headtube tolerances, I can see how composites would be great for that when they're new but over time with all the vibration and occasional crash there's bound to be some issues. (?)

Any constructive advice, relevant experience would be much appreciated. Also, it seems that there are a few levels of IS headsets anyone with the bike in hand care to comment on which one specifically comes with the SL build?
    I used to be a King whore, but have had great luck with cheaper sets for years. My IS from Cane Creek is expected to be just as good.
    All else fails I can stick in a high quality Japanese bearing from the local warehouse for about $4 each.

flow where ever you go
    I think I have seen some assemblage of answers to your why questions, but don't know where off hand. Anyway, it is what it is on the Mojo and there's no getting around it and no using a King headset.

The headsets I've had problems with were ones that let water in too easily. That is one reason I picked up a Token IS headset for my Mojo (via Ebay). It includes a built in o-ring in the top cap and a rubber seal in the lower spacer. Small things but sensible. Maybe CC does the same, but I could not confirm it. Here is info on Token if interested: http://www.tokenproducts.com/2005/05...s.php?pc1id=25

mtbr member
    I went with the Solos from Cane Creek. I had similar questions to yours, but Scot answered them all for me. I feel confident that Ibis would NOT spec a headset that will compromise the satisfaction of their customers when they have so much on the line. My SOLOS headset is a work of art, with build quality and bearing quality on par with my 3 Kings. It installed with ease and doesn't bind, turns smoothly. What more can I ask for? Time will tell if they hold up, but I'm confident.

One note... some of the cheaper Cane Creek "IS" headsets on eBay come with an alloy split crown race. I think they are OEM units that just say "IS" on them. I spoke with a Cane Creek guy, and he strongly recommended that I use one of the models with a steel crown race for MTB use. Makes sense to me. I bought one of these cheap units for $20 last spring, and kept it just for the bearings, to use as replacements if necessary down the road.