mtbr member
    Oct 2012

head-tube insert becoming unglued on mojo HD

Hey guys, any of you ever had the aluminum (are they alu?) "cups" that the headset is attached to fall off?
    after removing my fork today the bottom headset cup just came apart from the frame, while still in the aluminum insert that's not supposed to come out.. :| anyone experienced that? is it fixable? or does this mean i have to get a new front triangle of the frame?
    thanks guys

here's a picture from the web that shows the part im on about
    http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/dat...d_detail31.jpg

mtbr member
    Call Ibis directly. I am sure they will take care of you immediately. Never heard of this happening before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I actually had this happen to my bike when the shop was putting it together back in 2010. Ibis said it was probably safe to ride but went ahead and warrantied the front triangle. You should email or call them, as Salespunk has said.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep, the upper insert came out of my HD when I was attempting to remove my headset cup. IBIS wanted me to send the frame back but I begged and they sent me a replacement insert and epoxy.

mtbr member
    Speak to Ibis, they will sort you out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    well guys, since i live in Israel, its usually not that easy to get direct service from the manufacture. so i went to my LBS which sells ibis (and are the official ibis dealer around here) they told me that a similar thing had happened to them in the past, and reassured me that its OK to just epoxy glue a new insert instead of the old one.

so all in all, everything seems to be OK now thanks for the help!

P.S, id like to thank Ibis for their overall great customer service, even though i haven't had a first hand experience, ive seen them help a lot of people around here on the forums, which is not a common sight in the MTB business, or any business really.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by haravovadia View Post
    well guys, since i live in Israel, its usually not that easy to get direct service from the manufacture. so i went to my LBS which sells ibis (and are the official ibis dealer around here) they told me that a similar thing had happened to them in the past, and reassured me that its OK to just epoxy glue a new insert instead of the old one.

so all in all, everything seems to be OK now thanks for the help!

P.S, id like to thank Ibis for their overall great customer service, even though i haven't had a first hand experience, ive seen them help a lot of people around here on the forums, which is not a common sight in the MTB business, or any business really.
    Glad you had a good experience with good CS with them. Everything I read makes me happier that I bought my HD a few weeks ago.

You're right, it's not a common sight in the MTB business. Nice to see it here.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by haravovadia View Post
    Hey guys, any of you ever had the aluminum (are they alu?) "cups" that the headset is attached to fall off?
    after removing my fork today the bottom headset cup just came apart from the frame, while still in the aluminum insert that's not supposed to come out.. :| anyone experienced that? is it fixable? or does this mean i have to get a new front triangle of the frame?
    thanks guys

here's a picture from the web that shows the part im on about
    http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/dat...d_detail31.jpg
    I had the same problem, except it was my upper headset cup and the lower front link tube that came unbounded. I just epoxied them back into place and they've been fine so far.