mtbr member
    Aug 2004

HD's on the HD / The Ripley Rips

I spent about 4 hours over the weekend going through my wheels...starting with finding the source for an annoying rattle coming from my rear wheel. Enve suggested I pull of the rim strips to examine the nipple for corrosion, which I did. It turns out that I had 3-4 little balls of stuff inside the rim - they looked like little 'sinker' lead beads you'd use for fishing...upon extraction they could be easily crushed into a moondust-like substance. Very strange. But having pulled the strips and done the inspection, I re-did the strips (AKA Gorilla tape), and mounted new tires...the Hans Dampf 2.35's (trailstar front and pacestar rear). And for kicks and giggles, replaced the wheel stickers with the 'stealth' black ones Enve sells (I had the standard white ones on before)...and had been running Maxxis Minion DHF / DHR before. So, attached, is a gratuitous shot of the resulting look. I still think the white HD is the best looking bike on the planet. We did the same teardown / inspection on my son's wheels...he's using the newest version of the Easton Havoc's on his black HD.

No review on the HD's can be offered at this time because, despite having spent all that time fixing up the wheels, when it came time to ride Sunday morning I pulled the Ripley down. Gotta say, that bike continues to grow on me. A couple pics of the Ripley as well.HD's on the HD / The Ripley Rips-hd-hd.jpgHD's on the HD / The Ripley Rips-sky.jpgHD's on the HD / The Ripley Rips-woods.jpgHD's on the HD / The Ripley Rips-ripley-woods-2.jpgHD's on the HD / The Ripley Rips-ripley-woods-small.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have to agree with you on the Whte HD....with the black fork.

mtbr member
    Nice! I'm envious of your bike budget! Great setup on the HD

mtbr member
    Your quiver definitely does not suck