NW MTBER

HDR too much for mostly xc riding?

Hey all~ I have an opportunity to purchase a HDR at a relatively "low" price ($4000 for a bike priced at $6k) gently used for a few months. I ride in the Pac NW and will not the opportunity to ride one on a trail. Most riding is xc where we ride with the occasional big summer rides being a bit more AM but I am old and am not looking for the big drops and don't plan on it. I love the idea of the 650b wheel size being 5'8" and a strong climber. Is the HDR more bike than I will appreciate? Too much weight penalty for the $$. Weighs in around 28 lbs. Thoughts? Thanks!
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes and No......I ride my HD 160 on big 50-80km rides all the time. . I would be better off with a XC bike, but I enjoy the HD for the AM riding I do on the way down the trail.

The HD works well for XC but you have to be very picky about your tires....if they're too aggressive then the bike will be slow. My build is around 31 pounds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    On a Mojo SL now, and would love to jump over the the HDR. Unfortunately, the weight and design seem to be a bit much for the vast majority of the riding here around Austin. As a result, I'm eyeing the Ripley as the next rig. Would it be possible for you to get the same discount there? If so, I'd strongly consider going that route.

With that said, i would love the opportunity to take an HDR to City Park here in Austin. Definitely a trail that would make that rig shine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stempson@mac.com View Post
    I ride in the Pac NW and will not the opportunity to ride one on a trail. Most riding is xc where we ride with the occasional big summer rides being a bit more AM but I am old and am not looking for the big drops and don't plan on it. I love the idea of the 650b wheel size being 5'8" and a strong climber. Is the HDR more bike than I will appreciate? Too much weight penalty for the $$. Weighs in around 28 lbs. Thoughts? Thanks!

Dont sell it short for XC. I ride an HD, 26" wheels @ 26.1LB's and would describe my local area as XC. Super steep climbs and lots of fast downhills. Mostly run it at 140mm for local rides. btw am over 50 myself.

Though I do travel to lots of different trails here in Nor-Cal. The ability to go from 140 travel to 160 is perfect for that.

The HD handles great, if you look at some of the complaints about the HD/HD-R its due to the fact that some want slacker angles and longer wheelbase on that bike.
    These are actually strongpoints as far as I'm concerned. A happy medium of sorts. Perfect R.A.D geometry.

Dual Position 150/120mm Revelation/PIKE give you the ability to steepen the seat tube and head angle to immediate trail condition on the fly.

Bike climbs incredibly well (when you drop the front end) and I would think you could set that bike up differently to get it in the 25LB range which should be easily attainable with the HD-R. If you've been riding for a while, you know 25lb was THE standard for a light MTB (RELIABLE) for many years.

If you want to ride it XC, longer stem, slightly narrower bars since the top tube is slightly shorter on these bikes its a perfect fit. Hans has said the HD was actually designed for a 90-110mm stem anyways.

Bottom line, the HD/HD-R is a great all around platform to mold to your individual ride criteria.

Probably why there are so many variations of how people are using this bike. There is no ONE right use for this bike.

At 4K you could probably resell it if you don't like the ride without taking a loss.

But I'm betting you'll be pretty happy : )

mtbr member
    Hey all~ I have an opportunity to purchase a HDR at a relatively "low" price ($4000 for a bike priced at $6k) gently used for a few months. I ride in the Pac NW and will not the opportunity to ride one on a trail. Most riding is xc where we ride with the occasional big summer rides being a bit more AM but I am old and am not looking for the big drops and don't plan on it. I love the idea of the 650b wheel size being 5'8" and a strong climber. Is the HDR more bike than I will appreciate? Too much weight penalty for the $$. Weighs in around 28 lbs. Thoughts? Thanks!
    Here's what you do: Lose 4 pounds by riding the new HDR 10 extra miles per week, and then you're pushing the same weight around as being on a 24lb XC rig, with the benefit of having the best suspension platform in the industry giving you a plush AND efficient ride. Plus bragging rights for having one of the most visually attractive bikes on the planet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ride XC on my HD, even fire road all day grinders.

I also take it on more challenging terrain.

That's the beauty of the bike, built in versatility.

mtbr member
    For less than that price you could get a new special blend mojo and have a much lighter build. I mostly use my HD for aggressive xc but i like to hit drops and am not the smoothest rider so i like to run a Fox 36 up front but i keep it in 130mm travel for trail riding. The HD climbs as good or better than an sl so really its about if you wanna carry the extra weight for doing light freeride. The beauty of the HD is you are never undergunned unless you go to a double black diamond park run.

Too Much Fun

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    That's the beauty of the bike, built in versatility.
    That's really the essence of it. The HDR is such a versatile bike. The HD was too, but with the weight loss and 650b option, you have so much you can do with this bike.

I rode my HD on everything, with a 36. Even raced some XC with it. It was overkill at times, and for the really buff stuff sometimes I might get out the HT 29'er, but for 80% of my riding, I'd grab the HD and now the HDR.

I ride bikes to have the Most Fun Possible, and the HDR is a Fun Machine.
    Long legged XC? Sure.
    - -benja- -

Team Chilidog!
    Just got my HD a couple of months ago. It's fine for XC riding, no matter what mode you run it in. It climbs better in 160mm than some bikes with 120mm travel.

I have a pretty burly build because I like to jump and ride hard when I can. Fox 36, WTB i23 wheels, wide bars, narrow stem. It's just made of awesome.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just want to add...Every time I demo a XC or shorter travel bike because I feel the HD is too much for my riding; I end up loving my HD even more. Even the Ripley, as awesome as it is, didn't knock the HD of the podium top spot.

mtbr member
    I would agree with the sentiment here. HD works great as an XC bike. I do 25mile XC rides without issue as do a lot of my friends.

Not-quite-geezer RVer
    I've had my HDR 650b for six weeks now and have logged almost 500 miles, 66k feet of climbing, and 87k feet of descending in that short time, mostly on burlier, occasionally even "epic", XC/Trail type rides in five states so far (CO, UT, MT, ID, WA), and it's been consistently awesome on a very wide variety of trails.

For example, just yesterday in your Pac NW backyard of central WA, I did a whopper of a circuit up Devil's Gulch, down Mission Ridge, and around Red Hill, totaling almost 40 miles and 8200+ feet of climbing and the HDR was simply fantastic all day. Going back tomorrow to do just Devil's down--well still gonna climb the road--but should be a *little* less grueling overall! Just a few pics from yesterday...

The HDR climbs almost as well as a pure XC bike as long as you're not actually running against a stopwatch, but has lots more in reserve for those fast chunky parts. Love it. Here's a post of my build with some other info if you're interested.

Oh and if you do get that bike (or even if you don't) note that I'm gonna be traveling around the PacNW for the next month or two and riding as much as Mother Nature will allow, so ping me and maybe we can do a dual HDR outing somewhere.
    Last edited by FoldsInHalf; 10-10-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: I can't count! also, added some pics!
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Dayum, you are torturing me with those shots of DG! I have got to get up there and ride it next week in the last of nice weather.

Where did you reach the snow? Is that photo of snow on the road going up from the upper DG trail head to the upper MR one? FWIW, I cannot decide whether I like the DG down better than the MR down, so I end up using DG up most of the time rather than the road so I don't have to decide. I also think that the upper section of DG is just about the sweetest trail around.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

NW MTBER

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by FoldsInHalf View Post
    I've had my HDR 650b for six weeks now and have logged almost 500 miles, 66k feet of climbing, and 87k feet of descending in that short time, mostly on burlier, occasionally even "epic", XC/Trail type rides in five states so far (CO, UT, MT, ID, WA), and it's been consistently awesome on a very wide variety of trails.

For example, just yesterday in your Pac NW backyard of central WA, I did a whopper of a circuit up Devil's Gulch, down Mission Ridge, and around Red Hill, totaling almost 40 miles and 8200+ feet of climbing and the HDR was simply fantastic all day. Going back tomorrow to do just Devil's down--well still gonna climb the road--but should be a *little* less grueling overall! Just a few pics from yesterday...

The HDR climbs almost as well as a pure XC bike as long as you're not actually running against a stopwatch, but has lots more in reserve for those fast chunky parts. Love it. Here's a post of my build with some other info if you're interested.

Oh and if you do get that bike (or even if you don't) note that I'm gonna be traveling around the PacNW for the next month or two and riding as much as Mother Nature will allow, so ping me and maybe we can do a dual HDR outing somewhere.
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to ride DG on Sunday I believe. That is a helluva day to add in the Red Devil loop! Is it muddy on the Red devil loop yet? Also, where did you hit snow? Won't have the bike til next week at the earliest as it is being shipped out here. so will be riding the Mojo SL for that one. How do you like the fox rear shock?
    Ibis Mojo HDR 650b
    Ibis Mojo SL
    Maverick Durance

Not-quite-geezer RVer
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Dayum, you are torturing me with those shots of DG! I have got to get up there and ride it next week in the last of nice weather.

Where did you reach the snow? Is that photo of snow on the road going up from the upper DG trail head to the upper MR one? FWIW, I cannot decide whether I like the DG down better than the MR down, so I end up using DG up most of the time rather than the road so I don't have to decide. I also think that the upper section of DG is just about the sweetest trail around.
    Yep, the snow was on the final bit of road approaching the top of MR around 5600'. It had me worried for a moment but there turned out to be only about 1/4 mile of it where it was in the shade. There was no snow on the trail itself, although it was a bit sloppy in spots with a few blowdowns and enough moto rut action to keep things challenging.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to ride DG on Sunday I believe. That is a helluva day to add in the Red Devil loop! Is it muddy on the Red devil loop yet? Also, where did you hit snow? Won't have the bike til next week at the earliest as it is being shipped out here. so will be riding the Mojo SL for that one. How do you like the fox rear shock?
    Ah, so it sounds like you took the deal! Congrats and I bet you'll be happy.

As for the Red Devil loop, I did the Red Hill Spur UP (not knowing better!) and Red Hill DOWN, then just booked the road back to the car because it was (inexplicably) getting dark. No mud per se on those but somewhat sandy on the uphill; downhill was excellent thouh. Will hit Red Devil trail itself today after DG and report back.

Now to get back on topic at least a little bit, I'm liking the Fox shock just fine myself. I know some folks hate the CTD models but it feels great to me. There's nothing to "tweak" when riding "DW/Ibis style" with it just left in "D" all the time, so I suspect it's mainly that the real suspension geeks just get bored with that.

PS: if either/both of y'all wanna ride out here this weekend, PM me and maybe we can hook up for something interesting... thinking maybe Tronsen... I can offer a shuttle driver in the form of my girlfriend, but my vehicle only holds one bike. Okay, gotta go ride!
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Hey buddy, good to see you out on the trail today. Check out Ridge Cyclesport next time you are in the area, too! Glad you love your HDR, too!

Hopefully you found the 7100 road and didn't have trouble descending "waterbar world"! DG must have been primo!

Cheers,
    EP

Not-quite-geezer RVer
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalpro View Post
    Hey buddy, good to see you out on the trail today. Check out Ridge Cyclesport next time you are in the area, too! Glad you love your HDR, too!

Hopefully you found the 7100 road and didn't have trouble descending "waterbar world"! DG must have been primo!

Cheers,
    EP
    Hey EP, you've got a good memory to track me down here! Yep, I made my way down Waterbar World just fine despite it being a little overgrown, and I completed my intended loop thanks to your expert guidance--thanks again. Devils Gulch down was indeed outstanding, and the final descent on Red Devil was even better. 39 miles and "only" 6400 ft climbed today--man, this part of WA is proving to be a real treat.

What are the odds that two Ibisians would come together in the middle of nowhere like that?!? One of us a *slightly* off course tourist, and the other a local expert and genuine "Ibis Person" no less?

It was very cool running into you today, and best of luck with your racing endeavors and your new bike shop in WA. And hey, now that I've browsed your resume a bit, it seems like you need to go race the coolest MTB race anywhere (IMHO)--CTR--next summer on an Ibis. JB and JJ need a fresh rival!

Cheers,
    Carey

(PS: Oh, and be sure to poke around this Ibis forum and you'll find all sorts of info about the mods folks have been coming up with to get more rear travel from their HDR650s-- in particular, the 147mm Bikeco mod seems pretty popular)