mtbr member
    Jun 2011

HDR or Ripley? First world problems...

Hi All,

I am looking for some honest feedback and more objective information (does that exist on forums?!) from anyone who can contribute -

I ride mountain bike trails in the Midwest (specifically in Brown County Indiana - it really is a beautiful trail system..esp for the midwest). The trails are tight singletrack through the woods with rocks, roots and bermed up corners on some of them. They have some features that are dug into some of the trails (rocks, logs) for more fun/air...I enjoy hitting these features and any other rollers I can to try to get airborn on (probably never more than 3-4' max). I love hammering the downhills but want to be "quick" on the uphills. I also want to start doing more time trials and XC style races but I'm not looking at being a Cat1 champion anytime soon. Currently I own a Specialized Pitch but I have ridden DW link bikes before and love them. Lastly, I definitely see more 29er's at our park (esp in the races) than I do the "other" sizes.

I am 6'3 and 190-200lbs if that helps with any quesiton of bicycle durability.

So given the above information, which bike do you think is better?

Can a Ripley be jumped/dropped at that 3-4' foot mark safely?
    Is the HDR 27.5 efficient enough to "compete" (I know my lungs would be the limiting factor) in a XC race?

Like I said, First World problems.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How many km's/miles do you typically ride? The Ripley will leave you with more energy on long days.

There's no perfect bike each one is going to be nice; but shine in different ways.

I ride with a lot of 29er riders with my HD 160. I can keep up but I do work a little harder. The descents are a lot more fun for me. Even if there are no jumps the geometry allows me to open it up a bit more. On a long ride 50-80km's I would appreciate the Ripley and ride around the big jumps.

Too Much Fun

HDR or Ripley? First world problems...

For someone your size the Ripley makes a lot if sense. I'd go with a burlier build, fatter rubber etc.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I appreciate the feedback!

Right now I am probably in the 15-20 mile range, but hope to continue to push that as I get the cardio working better.

I really wish I could get some demo rides on both of these bike but we don't even have a dealer in the state so that will be tough.

Having read some reviews of the Ripley, it sounds like it is still a flickable, fun to jump bike (maybe just not as big as an HD/HDR). Anyone who has experienced both, do you agree with this or is it an exaggeration? Would it be a capable/durable bike for ~4' jumps/drops?

No dabs.
    Lopes sending his Ripley over a 20ft gap...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo SD View Post
    Lopes sending his Ripley over a 20ft gap...

Well that certainly helps my jumping question

Awesome picture - thank you for sharing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am 215 lbs and own both a Mojo SL and a Ripley. Ripley will be faster and more appropriate for racing. You can just hammer on the bike. Even though Lopes can throw a 20 foot gap (he could do it on a Schwinn stingray with a banana seat) on the Ripley it does not make it a bike that loves to leave the ground. Your terrain would certainly favor the Ripley sans lots jumps.

I still really like my Mojo, it rides so sweet, and playful, it leaves a smile on face every time I ride it. If you are looking for an all rounder that you could potentially race why not think Mojo SLR. With more travel, it will handle jumps better and its geometry will lend itself better to racing. If you travel out west with it, it will also be pretty versatile in steeper, more technical terrain.

mtbr member
    Can the ripley handle 4' drops? Sure, when I demoed a few, with the 140 front forks I hit multiple 4' drops. I thought it handled them fine.. but it's really not the bike for it. It is however very flickable I thought. I am 5'10" and 155 lbs. There is no "THE ONE" bike that's going to be perfect for everything. I have a HD 160 with 26" wheels and I'm building a ripley.. I wouldn't trade either of them for either of them, as I ride different places. Certain places I ride the ripley is perfect, other places the HD is perfect. I plan to race my ripley on XC and possibly enduro.. we'll see how she does on the superd segments vs. the HD. Sounds to me like you've already got a heavy beater bike in the pitch that you can huck off whatever you want. So build a strong yet lightweight ripley, an you'll be amazed how much faster it is. Keep the pitch, ride it, use it for training, then on race day, the ripley will feel like a rocket.
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    Can the ripley handle 4' drops? Sure, when I demoed a few, with the 140 front forks I hit multiple 4' drops. I thought it handled them fine.. but it's really not the bike for it. It is however very flickable I thought. I am 5'10" and 155 lbs. There is no "THE ONE" bike that's going to be perfect for everything. I have a HD 160 with 26" wheels and I'm building a ripley.. I wouldn't trade either of them for either of them, as I ride different places. Certain places I ride the ripley is perfect, other places the HD is perfect. I plan to race my ripley on XC and possibly enduro.. we'll see how she does on the superd segments vs. the HD. Sounds to me like you've already got a heavy beater bike in the pitch that you can huck off whatever you want. So build a strong yet lightweight ripley, an you'll be amazed how much faster it is. Keep the pitch, ride it, use it for training, then on race day, the ripley will feel like a rocket.
    Thank you for the feedback - good advice!

I am leaning towards the Ripley with a 140 on the front. I would love to say that I am going to be able to go do some "park" riding, but I just don't see that happening. We have a really fun trail system here but you definitely have to pedal to earn your fun.

It really sounds like the Ripley would take anything I can throw at it with the terrain here... Leaning in that direction!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I was in your shoes back in March and April of this year. I ride in the midwest 95% of time, living about an hour north of Chicago. I've been to Brown country a few times so I'm somewhat familiar with the trails.

The HDR had not come out yet (there were only a few rumors of it that I had heard from some buddies in the industry, but no one knew for sure if and when). So I was comparing the SLR, HD 650'd, or a SC tallboy. Then the Ripley came out and I forgot the tallboy. Like you, there was no chance for a demo unless I wanted to drive/fly a considerable distance. I also see mostly 29ers at my local trails.

I went with the Ripley and I'm more than glad I did. While I've never ridden an HDR, I did get to ride an HD (26er) recently on the same trails. While the HD seemed to like to get off the ground more than the ripley, overall the ripley is just a better midwest bike, in my opinion. Others have mentioned it before, but it really does feel very much like a 26 in. bike. It's not as flickable... but its close. I never want to be more then 4-5' off the ground, getting to old for that, and I think the ripley takes everything in that range fine. What the ripley does like to do is go fast, and corner well. It has also made a few of the challenging climbs on my local trails incredibly easy. It's almost cheating. Mine has the 120mm fork up front. So I can't comment on the HDR, but I love my Ripley for midwest riding. At 6' 3'' I think you will definitely want the XL.

I don't and have no interest in racing, so I can't comment on that. I am faster than my friends though

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Being in Austin, the Ripley definitely looks like a stellar upgrade from my Mojo SL. Big hoops, still low frame weight, stellar reviews.

If only it looked like a Mojo. As silly as it sounds, the look of the Ripley just kills it for me. Fantastic bike, but it just doesn't scream out "Ibis" like a Mojo. Instead, the Ripley seems subtle. Coming from a nuclear pesto Mojo, that's like a different planet. With this in mind, I'll likely play around with a 650b setup on the Mojo.

If Ibis had a 650b update for the SL-R, I think that would be the ideal option for you.

Although I love the details of the HD-R, it's a bit too heavy for the type of riding around here. (although still lightweight for what it's capable of).

Too Much Fun

...but it's not a Mojo, it's a Ripley....

Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH View Post
    If only it looked like a Mojo.
    Funny, when the Ripley was first released I was kind of non-plussed by the overall shape. You're right, the Mojo is an incredibly elegant, well proportioned design, which IMO the HD/HDR takes to it's zenith.

...But when I finally saw a Ripley in the flesh ( or carbon I guess,) I was blown away. It's a really beautiful shape that doesn't fully come across well in pictures (like some people right?) and a nice mix of fluid lines with girth and aggression.

It's also one of the most solid, stiffest bikes I've ridden.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am 6 1 230ish and the Large Ripley feels pretty small and quick handling at 6 3 you will need the XL. It can handle some drops and some chuck, the Ripley really shines on smooth to moderate rocky terrain. Its a lttle sketchy when you push it hard compared to my old HD 150/160 . The Ripley is efficient you can ride longer but its a xc-trail bike, the HD was more fun and could handle xc- mild DH. A comprimise could be the HDR 650.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    I am 6 1 230ish and the Large Ripley feels pretty small and quick handling at 6 3 you will need the XL. It can handle some drops and some chuck, the Ripley really shines on smooth to moderate rocky terrain. Its a lttle sketchy when you push it hard compared to my old HD 150/160 . The Ripley is efficient you can ride longer but its a xc-trail bike, the HD was more fun and could handle xc- mild DH. A comprimise could be the HDR 650.
    I was definitely thinking an XL would be in order for me. Do you run yours with a 120 or 140?