mtbr member

HDR review all black frame

Ibis Mojo HDR - Review - Pinkbike

Is this custom all black frame?

mtbr member
    funny i just added that to the HDR review thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just came here to post the same link. That is an amazing looking bike. All Black E'erthang.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5power View Post

Is this custom all black frame?
    Yeah, probably custom paint by someone. You too can have any color you want $$$$

mtbr member
    I've heard that the QC problems that Ibis keeps encountering with the Rev. Vit P frames are just the paint quality, which leads me to believe that for the review they just clearcoated an unpainted frame to skirt around this issue.

I'd take the same solution, rather than waiting for my frame for God knows how long :P I'm beginning to think I won't be riding it until spring.

mtbr member
    i am close to pulling the trigger on an HDR but the 'on top of' geometry and skittish nature has me spooked a bit. I was hoping for a nice in-bike feel that comes with some of the newer geometry these days...long top tubs, short stems.

Anyone have any good feedback to Pinkbike's (small) criticisms?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    i am close to pulling the trigger on an HDR but the 'on top of' geometry and skittish nature has me spooked a bit. I was hoping for a nice in-bike feel that comes with some of the newer geometry these days...long top tubs, short stems.

Coming from my experience with my HD 160...very similar in feel.

The bikes do indeed have a racey feel to them. It takes a little getting used to but makes it a very responsive bike to ride. You can't be lazy and need to be alert when riding it. After my Giant Reign, I had a a couple scary rides on my HD where I felt like I was going to fly over the bars due to the back end sitting up. Now it's not even an issue and I enjoy the rear suspensions characteristics for it's climbing and pedaling ability.

You can calm the bike down by running more rear sag, a longer fork, and shorter stem. I had a 180fork on my HD and it worked quite well.

Personally I love how my HD feels.

Too Much Fun

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    I think they capture the essence of the HDR pretty well.

"Quick direction changes felt instinctive when the bike was pointing downhill, and the HDR certainly leans more towards the lively side of the handling scale, a personality that can be a lot of fun when taken advantage of."

...YES. That nails the HD/HDR for me. This bike rewards riders who can take advantage of it. I've rarely felt as completely wired into my bike as on the HDR.

IMO, I don't want to feel too "in the bike". I'm riding a bicycle, not driving a limousine.

FWIW, this bike can change personality pretty significantly with tweaks to fork/shock. I thought my old HD was pretty well dialed when it came stock with the Fox kit, but it was transformed into a Pure Pleasure Machine with some additional shock tuning from PUSH.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    There is a massive difference in how the bike rides based on the rear shock selection. The Fox CTD stuff sucks and the Monarch RC3 transforms the HD into a completely different animal. Stock Fox stuff gives the sensation of skipping across the top of chunder instead of riding through it. It simply can't keep up with the action needed.

The Crow
    Scott posted on Twitter that it's a pre-production frame in all matte black. So reverse Vit-P without the Vit-P.

Was in reply to Doddy from MBUK asking.
    There's a feeling I get
    When I look to the West
    And my spirit is crying for leaving

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    The Fox CTD stuff sucks and the Monarch RC3 transforms the HD into a completely different animal.
    True, but I will say the 2014 CTD stuff is better then the 2013. Which isn't saying a whole lot, but it's something.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    True, but I will say the 2014 CTD stuff is better then the 2013. Which isn't saying a whole lot, but it's something.
    I've got to disagree with this. After a few rides on my HDR (X01 build), i'm really impressed with the 2014 fox shock and fork. When I demoed my HDR I loved the way it railed corners but loathed the Fox CTD fork and rear shock. It felt wooden and yes, "skittish" on braking bumps and rock gardens. In fact, my first question to the Ibis rep was about my options on swapping out the fox fork and shock for something else.

When it came time to order, i was going to get the ccdba and then swap out the fox for a x-fusion sweep when it was (finally) available. But my dealer, whose opinion I value, insisted that the '14 fox stuff was much improved and that i'd be impressed.
    Well he was spot on. After a few rides I'm blown away with how much better the '14 fox stuff is. I'm going to stick with what my build came with--no upgrade$ necessary.

After reading that pinkbike article, I've got to wonder if the bike they demoed had a '13 shock on it. Because "skittish" really doesn't describe the bike I've been riding with the '14 CTD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55 View Post
    A lot of people riding around with Fox shocks complaining of their shocks are suffering from cavitation issues without even realizing it. (not saying you are btw)

The shock "appears" to function normally and holds air just fine, but the high pressure side has failed influencing ride characteristics.

More common than you may realize. It just piles onto the dissatisfaction level that many are complaining about.