Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

HDR CCDBACS or Bikeco?

I have a HDR running it 27.5 w/a BOS Deville 160 upfront (26inch fork w/27.5 wheel). Love the bike but the front end overwhelms the back. Not just travel but just in performance over the FOX RP23. Strongly considering the Bikeco mod for longer travel or a CCDBA, but the CCDBA may not be fully utilized at 130 travel. Any thoughts on this?

Ride East coast rock and roots pretty aggressive w/fair amount of 2-3ft drops and occasional 4-5ft.

mtbr member
    I have the 27.5 HDR with a 160mm Pike in front, HDR 147mm mod shock out back.

Its amazing. the balance between the charger damper and the linear feel of the bikeco shock makes for a pretty amazing ride.

I've not ridden the Cane Creek, and although I've heard its mighty capable, the bikeco shock has two advantages: one- the longer travel two- the techs build you a custom shock to your weight and riding preferences.

The one gripe I've heard about the cane creek is that with its seemingly limitless adjustability, it makes for a shock that can be difficult to find the sweet spot on.

Too Much Fun
    Might also be worth talking to PUSH too.

I'm running the stock RP23 CTD (2014) and while I'm not missing the travel from my HD, I am thinking that a PUSH tune would get me *better* travel. They have done wonders with two prior RP23s for me, really transforming the feel.

Also a lot cheaper then a new CCDBA or BikeCo shock. And lighter too, FWIW.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    I have a 160 26er HD with a bikeco tuned Roco air and a Deville up front great combo. To put a spanner in the works I had the ctd on my 5.7 carbon tuned by avalanche and it transformed the bike. To the point where I want to get a Dhx air or ctd Avy'd for the HD for comparisons sake. I have ccdba on the chilcotin and have a hard time with it. Too finicky for my tastes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have a Bike co Rocco TST. Its a fine unit. The only thing I will say is if getting it back to Bikeco to service is not an option then avoid. I tried and tried to get mine back to how it was after being serviced by the local agent and failed. Went to XF Vector air as the dealer is here in town. Otherwise go for it. Custom valved to you, extracts more travel
    cheaper. TST is good and gives a nice useable range. I found the RP23 not very good at all

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dare I say,"Go to 26inch wheels and run the rear at 160!"

No, I'm not kidding. This bike kills it at 160.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Apart from being lighter how does the HDR 160 differ from Std HD?
    Loving my HD now with full XF suspension setup

Too Much Fun

HDR CCDBACS or Bikeco?

Quote Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
    ISG plate and better XX1/1x11 drivetrain compatibility. Some say stiffer?
    - -benja- -

Off the back...
    Lighter, stiffer, ISCG, 11spd optimized. I think that's it. Geometry is identical[?]. The bike is stoopid awesome at 160. Do it. Dooooo it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have a Pushed Monarch and recently Avy modified RP23 for my HD160 and a CCDBA I've been playing with for a month as a HD140 conversion. The Avy modified Float is sweet and I hated my RP23 (pulled it the first week I had the bike and bought the Push shock). Night and day difference now. Would talk to Craig at Avalanche first, that's your cheapest option and it is nice. On the CCDBA I really like it for the HD140 conversion because it feels bottomless and I don't feel I give up anything vs the longer travel mode, though I may hunt down a cheap CTD and have Craig mode it also to compare. The tune from CC for the HDR is money as a starting point. No experience on the bikeco shock though.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    I tried and tried to get mine back to how it was after being serviced by the local agent and failed.
    how was it different after service? maybe came set with different ifp depth and/or different oil wt?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    how was it different after service? maybe came set with different ifp depth and/or different oil wt?
    some missed communication or possibly lazy innacurate advice from Bikeco because they later sent completely different setup specs. First was ifp at 34mm and 10wt fox oil
    then they corrected the oil weight but by that time shock was on its 4th visit
    Gave up. As good as it was the XFusion Vector air is considerably better. Id say vastly better than the Roco. Maybe simply because ifp height and all compression circuits are externally adjustable and so much easier to get dialed to my taste. However in fairness to Roco - it had been a while since I had it running sweetly - but even when it was it never got anywhere near full travel

mtbr member
    Personally I wouldn't use the word "finicky" to describe the CCDBair CS -- more like freakin' amazing.

I have it on my HDR 26/160.

It's certainly not the type of shock where you set the sag and forget it. But if you're willing to put in a little time to dial in the settings it will do anything and everything you want.

The ability to tune low and high speed settings is incredible.

AND ... for those above who suggest running this bike in the 26inch and 160mm setting, I can only add: Yes!

Stupid is, as stupid does
    Here's my .02. I ran the CCDBA found the sweet spot and loved it. Really no need for the so-called "climb switch". I am having suspension experts build me a 150mm Rock Shox Monarch Plus. After measuring 20 times I figured I only needed 10mm less travel for safe clearance on my frame 135 x 12 mojo HD. Suspension Experts can shim down the CCDBA to whatever travel you may need. I made a ghetto CS by putting a hobby wrench on the LSC and basically I decided effing with switches is a PITA. The only time i really used it is when i bike to the trailhead (7 miles & the last 4 are steep)The HD pedals so well. The climb switch is great for some frames but the HD (or at least mine just doesn't need it) Give them a call & see what they saw. The only reason I am going with the monarch is I am recovering from a broken wrist & my riding priorities have changed drastically. I am going for more distance rides these days & the CCDBA adds .7lbs to the frame. I have one for sale with the reducers if anyone is interested. Just PM me.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A bit off topic but I have to say my DW tunes XF vector air is freaking awesome.
    Its the shock I had wished I had got in the first place but bikeco talked me into the marzocchi Shock has been on the bike for nearly 3 months now with no issues. Everything is externally accessible (apart from the DW specific tune which I am told is a must)
    Add the XF to your list just to muddy the waters further!

I just finished my first ride on my Suspension Experts Rock Shox Monarch Plus. Travel was limited by 10mm or to 150mm. I will admit that I am all smiles. Measuring at full bottom out travel probably would gave been fine at 7mm. There is still a good amount of room left running the 2.25 Ardent. I'm really happy with the shock and its performance. Maybe when it needs rebuilding next year I will have them limit the travel less. Either way I am going to have fun.
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've used a stock kashima RP23, a PUSH RS Monarch Plus, a RS Vivid Coil, a CCDBair, and a Bikeco Roco TST on my HD in both HD140 and HD160 modes, mated to various front forks (RS revelation, Marzocchi 55, Bos Deville). Out of all of these, my favorite has been the Bos mated to the Roco.

The RP23 pedaled nicely, but couldn't even remotely keep up on the downs. The Monarch Plus fixed the downhill aspect, but actually gave up something on the pedaling - sent it back twice and they could never get it to quite pedal how I liked. The Vivid Coil I only used for park sessions. The CCDBair.... man I really wanted to like that shock, but I could never get it to work right for me. I tried various shims and air cans and it just always felt harsh to me. I'm a hard rider to fit shocks for... my weight hovers between 125 and 130, which is pretty abnormal.

The Roco, however, is spot on. It has a strong near-lockout that is great for the gravel roads that I have to use to access terrain. And the downhill smoothness is second to none. I love it.

So I think it depends on how you ride and what you wanna ride. I'm from NC originally and rode a lot in Asheville and Brevard; live in California now. I think the Monarch Plus and Bikeco worked great out in NC, and I loved having the lockout feature on the Bikeco. Between those two, I'd take the Bikeco personally. But I ride downhills pretty aggressively.

I think if you could get the CCDBair to work for you, that's an option too. I don't use mine anymore - if you want it ... I'll sell it to you for cheap. It's just gathering dust.

Quote Originally Posted by dacarbon View Post
    I'm a hard rider to fit shocks for... my weight hovers between 125 and 130, which is pretty abnormal.
    You have a point here but I am at the other extreme. 230lbs geared up.
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Oh yea, you probably have your own issues with suspension too! I think they are engineered for "average" weights like 160-200, but surprise - many of us are not "average".

The nice thing about the CCDBair is that there are all of those shims and cans that you can add on at home to try to tune it best. For Push Monarch Plus and the Bikeco shock, you probably ought to send it back if you can't adjust the air pressures and rebound settings to get what you want. There are some home remedy measures like taping the shaft that can help, but yea.

mtbr member
    I'm around 245lbs in the summer when I ride. That's the beauty of the bikeco shock. They take your weight and riding style into consideration when the customize the shock for you. As explained, even if your weight fluctuates +/- 15lbs, the tune will work. If you lose or gain a lot of weight, you can send back and they'll adjust the tune for you.

I can say this much, I've owned all kinds of fox shocks and demo'd stock x-fusion and rock shox, Id have to say fox is at the bottom, and nothing has ever felt as good as the bikeco.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    +1 to that. The BikeCo shock is pretty darn amazing. It's quite coil-like. My partner/girlfriend/person has a Mojo SLR and every time she rides my HD, she says it is a magic carpet ride compared to her Fox setup.

mtbr member
    i agree, roco is very very fine shock. i have been on one for 6 months now. plus it is quite easily rebuildable. i am currently working on rebuilding friends roco (no bikeco) that he got from somewhere. i wish bikeco would share their different tunes depending on bike and rider weights and how to achieve them to make it easier for people set it up right the first time.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

I just want to throw a shout out to Suspension Experts in NC, Garage Works Suspension in Oceanside, NC, and hippie Tech in Idaho. All of these companies custom tune shocks for you. Taking into account your weight,riding style, bike leverage ratios. The big negative against Bike Co for me was that they would only tune a shock that you purchased new from them (That's what I was told overs the phone at least). I purchased a used 2014 Monarch Plus and sent it to Suspension Experts and got the custom tune for $150 from them. Garage works suspension was willing to sell me a rebuilt Custom tuned/shimmed Roco for a good price but I didn't want to have to pay the sales tax in my state.

Also Bikeco would only shim to 147mm travel when I told them I only needed 10mm worth of shimming. Also both Garageworks & suspension experts can shim the CCDBA as well and are licensed service centers for that shock.

The point I am trying to get across is that Bikeco is not the only company that is able to service us Mojo HD 650B. Kevin the owner of Suspension Experts Rides a mojo HD and we talked on the phone for close to an hour about my tuning needs.

This is all just my .02 Or as they say: there's more than one way to skin a cat, FWIW, life is like a box of chocolates. Ya just never know. There's a lot of fish in the sea, etc & so on

Btw the sharpie marker is my fine work. I want to know where bottom out is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HDR CCDBACS or Bikeco?-image.jpg  

HDR CCDBACS or Bikeco?-image.jpg  

Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso

Leq
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by recleaver View Post
    I have a HDR running it 27.5 w/a BOS Deville 160 upfront (26inch fork w/27.5 wheel). Love the bike but the front end overwhelms the back.
    Since You like Deville, have You considered BOS rear shock? Either VIP R2 or Kirk? Kirk would be my choise now. Running at the moment Deville / STOY combo on my HD 160 and liking those both.

Maintenance might (and is) be a problem with BOS though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spunkmtb View Post
    I just want to throw a shout out to Suspension Experts in NC, Garage Works Suspension in Oceanside, NC, and hippie Tech in Idaho. All of these companies custom tune shocks for you. Taking into account your weight,riding style, bike leverage ratios. The big negative against Bike Co for me was that they would only tune a shock that you purchased new from them (That's what I was told overs the phone at least). I purchased a used 2014 Monarch Plus and sent it to Suspension Experts and got the custom tune for $150 from them. Garage works suspension was willing to sell me a rebuilt Custom tuned/shimmed Roco for a good price but I didn't want to have to pay the sales tax in my state.

Also Bikeco would only shim to 147mm travel when I told them I only needed 10mm worth of shimming. Also both Garageworks & suspension experts can shim the CCDBA as well and are licensed service centers for that shock.

The point I am trying to get across is that Bikeco is not the only company that is able to service us Mojo HD 650B. Kevin the owner of Suspension Experts Rides a mojo HD and we talked on the phone for close to an hour about my tuning needs.

This is all just my .02 Or as they say: there's more than one way to skin a cat, FWIW, life is like a box of chocolates. Ya just never know. There's a lot of fish in the sea, etc & so on

Btw the sharpie marker is my fine work. I want to know where bottom out is.

Can suspension experts do the custom i2i?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast