mtbr member
    Jan 2010

HDR 650B vs HD 650B?

Hello all. Love the HDR and I am considering a purchase of the 650B version. I have a couple of questions regarding the changes of the HDR frame. Specifically, what is the difference geometry wise between the earlier HD 650B 'conversion' and the HDR 650B? From what I have read the HDR rear Triangle has more room for the bigger wheel.
    Also, unsure as to whether a frame designed around 26" wheels, (I'm only assuming 26") becomes compromised when using a bigger wheel-650B. Not saying it is compromised, just wondering what happens to the rear suss. I'm guessing the linkage etc stays the same as the chips and shock keep the eye to eye the same? Geo specs online show a 0.3" lower BB on the HDR 650B vs 13.8 " BB on the 160mm HDR 26".
    I would be running a 150 RS Pike on the front, cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinrod42 View Post
    Hello all. Love the HDR and I am considering a purchase of the 650B version. I have a couple of questions regarding the changes of the HDR frame. Specifically, what is the difference geometry wise between the earlier HD 650B 'conversion' and the HDR 650B? From what I have read the HDR rear Triangle has more room for the bigger wheel.
    Also, unsure as to whether a frame designed around 26" wheels, (I'm only assuming 26") becomes compromised when using a bigger wheel-650B. Not saying it is compromised, just wondering what happens to the rear suss. I'm guessing the linkage etc stays the same as the chips and shock keep the eye to eye the same? Geo specs online show a 0.3" lower BB on the HDR 650B vs 13.8 " BB on the 160mm HDR 26".
    I would be running a 150 RS Pike on the front, cheers.
    Not entirely answering your question, but I have done the conversion on my HD140, including Burgtech offset shock bushings.

With a Hans Dampf 2.25 rear I was able to have both bushings facing inward for maximum drop. I also was running a fox 36 set to 140mm. HD 2.25 rear, High Roller 2.3 front on Arch EX. Actual measured geo was 13.5", and (yes) a 66 degree HA. it felt balanced when at speed, but the Fox 36 felt floppy, even at 140mm, with the offset bushings, due to the 37mm fork offset. Too slack, wrong fork offset.

The use of offset bushings didn't really affect the shock performance that I could tell...still a strong pedal platform.

I sold the wheels to a friend, and now I'm back on the HD160, as I ride steeper Shore terrain with the Ibis, and faster smoother stuff on a 29er. Yes the 650b wheels carried more speed, with a faster tire, but with the heavy offerings out there at the moment (900g HR2 for ex), it still felt like a dog uphill, but did have good traction. I feel on trails where I'm essentially in a controlled freefall, I still prefer more travel over 'rolability' (if that's even a word).

I do hope Ibis continues with a convertible HDR in the future, as I do want to revisit 650b next year or the year after when a lot more component options hit the shop floor. I do like the wheelsize in shorter travel mode, alot....