mtbr member
    Jul 2004

HDR 27.5 tire fit

What types of tires are you guys riding in your HDR 650? Looking to get a list going for what tires works and what rims your running on

mtbr member
    As far as I can tell the only tires that have been a problem so far are the 2.35 Hans Damph. And that is only because the tire is larger than 2.35, the side knobs measure almost 2.5" across.

I'm running a 2.3" Pacenti Neo-Moto on Stans Flow rims and it fits fine with enough mud clearance.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Big boss man View Post
    What types of tires are you guys riding in your HDR 650?
    Ibis is shipping HDRs with the Ardent 2.25 now. Clearance plentiful.
    - -benja- -

Off the back...
    2.25 Hans Dampf, plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Seems like some folks just want to turn their bikes into fat tire bikes. If you need a tire bigger than that, maybe the HDR isn't the right bike for those folks. But for 99% of the owners, it will work as designed.
    Last edited by Gabrielus; 10-05-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Too Much Fun

Useful: 27.5 Tire Size Reference thread

The 27.5 Tire Size Reference thread on the 650b/27.5 forum is useful to get a sense of what size from which manufacturer is close to what...

The 2.25 Ardent is actually bigger then I thought. It sure looks meaty, and it turns out it is.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ya I am just curious before I purchase an hdr. I want to make sure I get a lot years out of it

mtbr member
    What about Maxxis High Roller 2 in 2.3? Look pretty big.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrielus View Post
    Seems like some folks just want to turn their bikes into fat tire bikes. If you need a tire bigger than that, maybe the HDR isn't the right bike for those folks. But for 99% of the owners, it will work as designed.
    Wanting to run a variety of tires on a mountain bike including some wide rubber for certain conditions isn't crazy talk. If you travel to ride or live someplace that sees dramatic trail conditions changes with the seasons you want to be able to put different rubber on the bike.

Lots of bike companies with similar models provide ample clearance for big rubber.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Anyone see that for all the tire hoopla, the mach 6 comes only with a 2.2 honey badger rear,

Looks like the HDR should be fine, what do people think?

mtbr member
    Anyone see that for all the tire hoopla, the mach 6 comes only with a 2.2 honey badger rear,

Saw that. It's an odd spec for a 6"+ travel bike and the first thing I would get rid of. Folks are running 2.35" tires on Mach 6's without issue.

I'm waiting to see if a Conti TK 2.4" will fit.

I was expecting to buy the new Ibis 650B bike, but wasn't stoked about the HDR when they released it. I wasn't thinking about a Pivot, but the Mach 6 reviews have been great and it comes with the travel I want and the tire clearance is looking good. Still looking into that a bit more. It has DW Link which I was keen to try after 5yrs on VPP2.

Not 100% critical, but it's also available in a colour that isn't really dark. All my riding is in gloomy forests so I want a bike that pops for photography and is a bit cheerful to look at.

My friend has a white HD and that is one sweet looking bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Dissolved member

The Honey Badger 2.2 is a bigger tire than the Neo Moto 2.3 which is often used as an example of a 2.3 tire that the HDR can take. The M6 owners claim it can take High Roller II 2.4 and Hans Dampf 2.35 without issues.

mtbr member
    The top enduro pros running Mavic wheels and tires are using a rear tire that's going to measure around 2.0" on their 19mm internal rim, and measures 2.1" or 54mm on a Stan's Flow. I'm not hating on anybody wanting to run fat tires....volume is nice. But for me, this fact puts it into perspective.....
    2.0" rear tire doesn't seem to be hindering Jerome C. or Anne Caro's performance.

mtbr member
    nobby nics, think they're 2.3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    The top enduro pros running Mavic wheels and tires are using a rear tire that's going to measure around 2.0" on their 19mm internal rim, and measures 2.1" or 54mm on a Stan's Flow. I'm not hating on anybody wanting to run fat tires....volume is nice. But for me, this fact puts it into perspective.....
    2.0" rear tire doesn't seem to be hindering Jerome C. or Anne Caro's performance.
    JC's rear tire = 2.3"

Jerome Clementz' 2013 Cannondale Jekyll - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

Pro bike: Jerome Clementz? Cannondale Jekyll - BikeRadar

Winning Bike: Jerome Clementz's Cannondale Jekyll - Winning Bike: Jerome Clementz's Cannondale Jekyll - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, 2.3" to the tread.... put some calipers on the casing and you'll get about 2.1.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What types of tires are you guys riding in your HDR 650? Looking to get a list going for what tires works and what rims your running on
    2.25 Hans Dampf snakeskin with ENVE AM...thumbs up.

mtbr member
    At local Enduros I've been surprised to see that many of the top finishers were running rear tires in the 2.1 or 2.2 range. This despite pretty dry, sandy conditions.

mtbr member
    Pacenti 2.3 rear (mounted backwards), WTB Vigilante 2.3 front on flow EX. Fun combo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Has any one seen or mounted a WTB Vigilante 2.3 on a HDR650b with Easton Haven or 21mm internal wide rim?

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any experience sticking a high roller 2.4 in the back of an HDR? I'm looking to get a 2 ply DH tire for park use, but at the moment the only 2 ply tire I can find in 27.5 is the High roller 2 and its only available in a 2.4.

I know it would be tight, but if it fits it would be worth it for me for occasional use (I don't get to the park as often as I'd like).

Or if anyone knows of any other tires that would be suitable....

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by DAnREal View Post
    Has any one seen or mounted a WTB Vigilante 2.3 on a HDR650b with Easton Haven or 21mm internal wide rim?
    The Vigs aren't the widest tire of the fatties, but it's one of the tallest, though it still fit's, but there isn't much room.