Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

HD160 - Suspension Alternatives to Fox - Advice needed!!

Hi,

I have a HD160 on order, and have just been told by my LBS that the 2012 Float 160's are out of stock, however, they are awaiting the new 2013 alternatives with the new 3 stage damping, which is a bit like pro pedal but for forks, so it was explained to me!

Thing is, they will not be available until June.

I have demo'd the HD160 with the standard Kashima RP23 and Float. In my brief demo, and brief set up, I found the forks to dive in corners, and the RP23 seemed really bouncy. I had to turn rebound all the way down. I put this down to set up, but, having spent some time here reading it seems many are not fans of Fox?

I have contacted BOS which were very helpful, and they can dispatch Deville and Vip'r next week, but it appears there is only one main contact/person/mobile number in the UK for them.

I am sure servicing etc should be ok with BOS, but, here in the UK, the Fox specailist, MOJO, are 20 mins drive from my house!!

Could anyone please offer some advice as to what the best options for me are?

I am approx 15st and tend to ride aggressively, black graded runs etc, but no big big jumps or drops etc. I do spend a greater percentage of my time XC if I am being honest.

Im not sure if I can wait any longer, ive already been without a bike for two months!!

Many thanks!!

David

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Bos Deville has a positive buzz in the states but we have no official importer yet.

Chilli with Bos Deville Pic

If you didn't have the shocks set up for you weight then your test was meaningless.

Many of us are going with the Cane Creek DB- Air or the monarch shocks for the rear.

I feel the RP23 is ok for XC but for not all mountain even with the spacer kit.

I have the Marzocchi 55 RC3 Ti and it's been pretty good.

Best suspension forks of 2011
    Best Suspension Forks Of 2011 - BikeRadar
    Last edited by mbikerguy; 04-19-2012 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    I have a BOS Deville and really like it. I am in the USA and contacted Bikeinsel to get mine; they shipped it quickly and I had it about a week later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cwkrause View Post
    I have a BOS Deville and really like it. I am in the USA and contacted Bikeinsel to get mine; they shipped it quickly and I had it about a week later.
    Thanks for the info.

Looks like with exchange rate it was pretty expensive. It would be cool if you could post up a detailed review at some point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    well i am 17st loaded up, also from s/wales , i had the fox talas 160 fork which i found to be very poor in their performance coupled with oil needing changing every 20/30 hrs of riding they are now gone and replaced with a set of bos deville 160 non trc , personely i think the bos fork simple to set up and far superior in performance and feel , service only needed once per year and i found the after service night & day between r53 & mojo , go bos .

Commit or eat sh!t
    Another fork you should look at is Lyrik with DH damper. Older ones felt like crap but newer ones are okay.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=mbikerguy;9224800]

Are you runing it on a HD? I have been reading great reviews and was thinking to try one myself.Any additional info will be great

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    [QUOTE=odin;9225648]
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post

Are you runing it on a HD? I have been reading great reviews and was thinking to try one myself.Any additional info will be great

Yes I am, it's very stiff and was plush in the beginning when I first got it. I had to use some slick honey on stanchions to get it going smoothly again.

All the reviews say it's top notch and one of the plushest forks out there. With the three warranty it's a no brainer.

I might be selling it since I'm thinking of going with a 170mm or 180mm next.

mtbr member
    I don't get the fascination with fox. Average at best. Forks are often divey when you get them supple enough and rear shocks blow through travel when you get the sag right. I have a deville and Zoke 55 rc3 ti on my 160mm bike with a DBair out back. I have ridden an HD with Rp23 a few times and was underwhelmed but reckon with a DBair, Monarch, vivid air or Vip'r it would ride much better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I don't get the fascination with fox. Average at best. Forks are often divey when you get them supple enough and rear shocks blow through travel when you get the sag right. I have a deville and Zoke 55 rc3 ti on my 160mm bike with a DBair out back. I have ridden an HD with Rp23 a few times and was underwhelmed but reckon with a DBair, Monarch, vivid air or Vip'r it would ride much better.
    The DBair turns the HD into a whole new bike.

Have tried the Fox 36 Van 180 RC2 ?

Which Knolly do you have?

Commit or eat sh!t
    Bos forks are nice (and very expensive) but nothing beats the small bump compliance of Marzocchi forks. But Zokes are extremely painful to set up and needs everything right to get full travel (oil level, shim stack etc.). Fox Van's are nice and good around forks (a bit heavy for AM use). Lyrik with DH dampers are also good. You basically have to try as many as you can to figure out what you like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Pro Pedal for forks? Sounds disgusting.

FOX has been going downhill since the FIT cartridge arrived - the VAN used to be the benchmark performer (in my humble opinion).

I'm currently running a 55RC3 ti with a ti coil PUSH Vivid shock or PUSH Monarch RTAM shock. COULD NOT BE HAPPIER WITH THE PERFORMANCE. This set up is so far ahead of the stock FOX kit my HD was cursed I mean spec'd with.

If you are more "XC", I would go with all air - Lyrik RC2DH fork(keep your oil fresh) and a Monarch shock. That is a great, affordable air package. I ran that fork/shock last year. If you want traction traction traction traction traction - 55 fork with a low tune coil shock of your choice.

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Looks like with exchange rate it was pretty expensive. It would be cool if you could post up a detailed review at some point.
    You know I had a bos Deville a couple of months ago. We will chat!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aappling72 View Post
    I saw that post where you had it on your HD but forgot to ask you about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Did you get rid of your Deville? Why? You spoke highly of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks All!

Have spoken with Fox importer/service and confirmed that the new 2013 Fox Float 36's will be RC2, not RLC, so that may improve the brake dive?

The RP23 will no longer exist for 2013, will be replaced with CTD (climb/trail/descend)??

I would assume that eventually IBIS will start shipping HD with this shock in the future?

They confirmed that my demo may have not been 100% great as the majority of RP23's were shipped with a light tune. They can revalve the RP23 for me for my weight which should improve it considerably? It could be the case that the new CTD shock will have a better tune due to the majority of people revalving their OEM RP23's, but probably a long timeline before IBIS start shipping with that shock?

I think the Marzochhi may be too heavy/ott for me/riding style?

Stll debating the BOS, but seem obliged to go for the VIP'r to match the Deville, which puts the cost up and still tad nervous on support?

The RockShox looks a good option? Would the 170mm travel of the Lyrik work ok for me? Is it too high? And which Monarch rear shock model is best?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I have the stock rp-23 with medium volume spacer installed. It performs fine for everyday all mountain riding, but sucks if you wanna go do some chair lift action. the volume spacer did make a huge difference though!

I also have a MARZ. 66 evo RC3 TI. I have a 2012 talas but I don't ride with it anymore now that I bought the Marz.. it's buttery smooth!
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    My 160 mm bike is a Chilcotin. I have ran a 36 Float RC2, 36 Van RC2 (both 160mm) a Lyrik DH solo air, Zoke 55 RC3 Ti and 160 mm Bo's Deville. If weight isn't a concern the 55 wins but the Deville come 2nd in my book.

mtbr member
    I have the Fox setup you are looking at and am not super stoked on it. Turning the rebound down like you did causes cavitation in the rear shock which means that it needs to be sent back to Fox on a regular basis. 36 Float is OK, but I had the chance to ride my bike with the Monarch Plus/Lyrik RC2DH and this will be on my bike very shortly. Was a fantastic setup and the bike felt much more controlled in the chunk. It was a night and day difference.

BTW the new Float will be going back to the damper found on the Van's with both rebound and compression damping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I have the Fox setup you are looking at and am not super stoked on it. Turning the rebound down like you did causes cavitation in the rear shock which means that it needs to be sent back to Fox on a regular basis. 36 Float is OK, but I had the chance to ride my bike with the Monarch Plus/Lyrik RC2DH and this will be on my bike very shortly. Was a fantastic setup and the bike felt much more controlled in the chunk. It was a night and day difference.

BTW the new Float will be going back to the damper found on the Van's with both rebound and compression damping.
    Now that is interesting as my Zesty's RP2 had to be sent back due to cavitation and I think it was happening again before I sold it??? I had to run the rebound low on that also!

Hmmmm??

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The Mojo HD does not work well with slow rebound.

I was talking with Jeff at Ibis about rebound as I didn't think my shock had enough slow rebound and he told me the HD doesn't perform well with a slow rebound, he said it works much better with a light rebound. After reading this and testing with mine he seems to be spot on as always.
    Not so plush Mojo HD?
    Last edited by mbikerguy; 04-20-2012 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    My 160 mm bike is a Chilcotin. I have ran a 36 Float RC2, 36 Van RC2 (both 160mm) a Lyrik DH solo air, Zoke 55 RC3 Ti and 160 mm Bo's Deville. If weight isn't a concern the 55 wins but the Deville come 2nd in my book.
    Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking of getting a Chilco as well. :

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sounds like you don't want to wait, but I'll post this anyway. At SeaOtter the X-Fusion crew had a couple of new forks on display, including a 160mm 34 stantion model. Rated for 26'' or 650b out of the box, travel adjust an option, 15mm bolt. They're in Santa Cruz just like Ibis, and the Ibis guys told me they've been working together for awhile. In house customization will be an option.

Probably not available before mid summer, bummer

aka...appBLING72
    Quote Originally Posted by outlierrn View Post
    Sounds like you don't want to wait, but I'll post this anyway. At SeaOtter the X-Fusion crew had a couple of new forks on display, including a 160mm 34 stantion model. Rated for 26'' or 650b out of the box, travel adjust an option, 15mm bolt. They're in Santa Cruz just like Ibis, and the Ibis guys told me they've been working together for awhile. In house customization will be an option.

Probably not available before mid summer, bummer
    Thx for the info. Fortunately I have some industry connections that are doing the custom tune on the rear for the XFusion vector air HLR. It will be done by Lopes mechanic who is assisting XFusion in that process. So I won't have the 2013 gold coating yet, but I will have the internal tuning in them. The Vengeance coil is a great fork too. That's what replaced the Bos and that will have a slight mod done to that via. The same person!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thx for the info. Fortunately I have some industry connections that are doing the custom tune on the rear for the XFusion vector air HLR. It will be done by Lopes mechanic who is assisting XFusion in that process. So I won't have the 2013 gold coating yet, but I will have the internal tuning in them. The Vengeance coil is a great fork too. That's what replaced the Bos and that will have a slight mod done to that via. The same person!
    Joe did the work on my Marzocchi fork and rear shock on my HD. He is awesome; you will be well pleased with the outcome.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast