Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

HD140 actual travel

I've read in various places on here since the HD-R launch that the HD doesn't actually have 140mm travel, it's more like 130mm, is this true, cos I'll be pretty gutted if it is!

mtbr member
    I guess if you've been riding it all this time and couldn't tell the difference it isn't a show stopper.

I convert mine back and forth depending on the trails I'm going to be riding. at 140mm it's more XC'ish lots of climbing etc....
    Never noticed the 10mm of difference (if thats the case) proper setup, pressure and type of shock seem more critical.

If you want more travel, get a 8.5 x 2.5 shock and some limbo chips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    It's a great bike, I've loved it for the 2 years I've had it, but suddenly being told it's actually only got 130mm travel is abit annoying! I'd have thought Ibis would have been honest with its customers, and after the so-called "new" HD-R, I've lost alot of faith in the brand.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    but suddenly being told
    I'd have thought Ibis would have been honest with its customers,

I guess if they hadn't been honest, you would have never known and ridden it blissfully for several more years.

See the irony there?

You could probably get close to 10mm of travel playing with tire pressures.

ever consider going the 160mm route if you're searching for more travel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where did you read that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    160mm would be overkill on the majority of my trails. My HD is a little small for me in all honesty, started to prefer longer bikes and was looking at replacements. Was looking at a Bronson or maybe even a Solo. I won't be having another Ibis, the HD-R is way too compromised, zero tyre clearance at 650b, short top tube, too steep... Basically with a works headset on a HD-R I'd have pretty much the same bike as I have now with the same problems, hardly an improvement if you ask me. Seriously disappointed and now they potentially sold me and many others bikes that aren't what they tell us... That's not good in anyones book. They've shot themselves in the foot and I hope they can sort it out.

Bike Addiction
    I still love mine at 140. It feels bottomless to me off drops @ 130 or 140 or....whatever it is
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where did you read it's a 130mm bike and not 140mm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    a lot of shocks don't give you the last little bit of travel unless you hit something especially hard. Same with forks. My Marzocchi 55s are 160 and I have only bottomed them twice and that was when that last little bit saved my arse. My marzocchi shock is the same. I get about 50-58mm of stroke in 160mm setting depending on the trail as apposed to the stated 63 and I tend to run my bike a touch soft

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Rick, pretty sure it was somewhere on here, can't remember where. I've never got the o-ring on the shock close to the end of the shaft, there's a good 10mm left.

Lightly salted
    Rick, pretty sure it was somewhere on here, can't remember where. I've never got the o-ring on the shock close to the end of the shaft, there's a good 10mm left.
    That shock at bottom out should come with in 1/4" of end of shaft and not off the shaft. The 140mm shock is a 2.25" with a .25" spacer to reduce travel. This is the way that shock is supposed to work on the 140mm HD. 1/4" from end of shaft is bottomed out on that setup.

mtbr member
    This is why you think the HD is a 130mm bike and not a 140mm bike? Really?

Actually, the HD 140 is a 100mm bike. Really. Trust me.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If it's a cm of travel you're worried about, I hardly doubt you would fell that on the trail. Ibis has stated that the HD-R is 130 travel and I have read that being said about the HD-140.

Just undo the shock from the rear triangle. This will allow you to measure the actual travel if you're concerned.

I wouldn't worry about 1cm, if you want more travel go to 160.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    This is why you think the HD is a 130mm bike and not a 140mm bike? Really?

Actually, the HD 140 is a 100mm bike. Really. Trust me.
    Sorry, I read it in several places and this led to some confusion. No need to try and be smart about it. I'm going to be selling the bike soon as it's too small, so wanted to clear this up so I know for sure. No I haven't noticed the difference on the trail, its a good bike, just abit small and I want something a little different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I believe this is what you are looking for. Can't blame the OP if he's a little unhappy.

Mojo HDR

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Using the fact that the Average Leverage Ratio does not change a huge amount on the HD when the shock stroke is shortened, given all other parameters (linkage, pivot placement, etc.) stay the same.

Based on the curve i'd seen for the HD, the leverage ratio change from 51mm to 63mm of shock stroke is relatively small. Will using the ALR based on 160mm of travel to determine the change in wheel travel with a 51mm stroke shock be mm perfect? No. Will be very close? Yes. Using those numbers and curve we'd be seeing 131-132mm of vertical and actual wheel travel which i believe is what hans stated previously.

I'm still not sure what hans means in that post when he says "We had incorrectly assumed it would be the same as the SL and SLR, but not exactly due to changing the part of the wheel travel that we were using.".
    Last edited by literally; 08-31-2013 at 04:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the help guys. As I say I've honestly never noticed it, but it gives me a better idea of what I've been riding the past 2 years and where to go from here Also means I won't con whoever buys into thinking its a 140mm frame, can't believe Ibis didn't actually measure the travel before releasing the frame though. Could almost call it, and imo the "new" HD-r as well lazy. Lost of respect for Ibis recently thats for sure

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by literally View Post
    Using the fact that the Average Leverage Ratio does not change when the shock stroke is shortened, given all other parameters (linkage, pivot placement, etc.) stay the same.
    You are starting with a wrong assumption, the rest of your calculations is therefore of not much practical use. The leverage ratio changes with the wheel travel, quite a bit. BicycleHeads: Ibis Mojo HD - suspension kinematics

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    You are starting with a wrong assumption, the rest of your calculations is therefore of not much practical use. The leverage ratio changes with the wheel travel, quite a bit. BicycleHeads: Ibis Mojo HD - suspension kinematics
    You are correct and i accidentally a few words...I'll correct my previous post and try to get it a bit more accurate for this audience.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well at least all the people concerned about the HD-R being 130mm can rest assured that people have been riding the HD-140 at 130 for many years and have been quite happy.

I still would let most of the air out of the shock, bottom it, and measure to verify.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Miss selling of goods IMHO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    Miss selling of goods IMHO.
    That may be, but to the OP I would suggest that you stop impugning people's integrity. How does an honest oversight, and an honest public explanation and correction of that make them dishonest?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I wonder if there would be grounds to return a frame on the basis that it is actually not what it was sold as? Either that or get a 160mm shock and chips for free? Unless of course the 160mm bike is actually a 150mm bike??

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    I wonder if there would be grounds to return a frame on the basis that it is actually not what it was sold as? Either that or get a 160mm shock and chips for free? Unless of course the 160mm bike is actually a 150mm bike??
    Comical, they should give you money too for all your suffering, might as well throw in 40 virgins.

mtbr member
    This is laughable. If Ibis hadn't said anything everyone would still be saying it is the best bike ever! Now everyone wants a refund. Using this logic I think a lot of the wives of members here would want a divorce too!

Ever hear the joke about why women are so bad at math?

Because every man has told them that this I<----------------------------------------------------------------------------->I is 8"!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast