Thread: HD vs HDR

mtbr member

HD vs HDR

Hi guys,

So I rode an HDR and really liked it. I've never ridden an HD. Have any of you ridden both and actually noticed a difference? 26er vs 26er or 650b vs 650b, preferably.

I'm sure I could save a couple thousand dollars by picking up a used HD, I'm really thinking it cannot be that much worse than the HDR. Both would be a massive improvement over my current Specialized Pitch.

Any input is appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I haven't ridden both but when it comes to a 26 setup, they should ride exactly same since the geometry of the frame did not change at all. The improvements on the HDR are mainly the rear tire clearance to accomodate a bigger tire, some less weight and the possibility of using ISCG chain guides.

In 650b mode, the HD simply has too little clearance for running a suitalbe tire.

Weapon of Choice
    I noticed it to be slightly lighter and stiffer in the rear end. Not a dramatic change by no means but slight.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69 View Post
    I noticed it to be slightly lighter and stiffer in the rear end. Not a dramatic change by no means but slight.
    Which is impressive....because my HD always feels super stiff after riding other bikes. Love my HD and don't have any need to go to HD-R. If you're fine with 26 then HD may be a good choice. HD colours are better too.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21 View Post
    I haven't ridden both but when it comes to a 26 setup, they should ride exactly same since the geometry of the frame did not change at all. The improvements on the HDR are mainly the rear tire clearance to accomodate a bigger tire, some less weight and the possibility of using ISCG chain guides.

In 650b mode, the HD simply has too little clearance for running a suitalbe tire.
    I thought they also improved the opening so the smaller frames can accommodate more shocks?

Does the HD-R also improve the clearance for 26" big tires too? It's also supposed to be able to provide better clearance the XX1 drivetrains too AFAIK.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    HD colours are better too.
    +1 - and you can make a HD a 650B bike comparable to the HDR if you feel the need to go that way at some point.

Scoring a deal on a used HD makes a lot of sense.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks guys. I'm starting a M-F job soon so I can't really justify spending 6kIsh on a bike I'd only be riding sat/sun. Sticking with 26" wheels/mojo HD will save a bundle!

Should I keep an eye out for the 2013s only? I apologize I haven't done much research into anything other than the HDR. This will change now that I'm tuned into the HD, but one question:

The 2013 HDs have the 142mm rear thru bolt, but any other major differences between the 2013s vs the older HDs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That's the way I went and the HD is amazing, just as it is. The older ones had 135 rear spacing, and sometimes the cable mount for the rear mech could be touched by the tire at full travel. They also changed the moulding process and shed a bit of weight.

mtbr member
    Somewhere around late 2011 / 2012, the HD switched from 135x12 thru axle to 142x12, and the front triangle was changed to include a direct mount FD, and the back of the seat tube was scalloped out to allow more tire clearance at bottom out. Check carefully when you're looking at used bikes....some of them during that transition period came with the updated front tri and the old 135x12 rear tri. Probably not a big deal, but you want to set your hub up correctly, and it's pretty clear now that 142 will be the standard.

I'd stay away from the pre 2012 ones, personally, if you want to have the option of running 650b....it can be done on the earlier ones, but the travel has to be limited more. There are a lot of people running HD 650b's happily, just not with the latest crop of super fat 2.4"+ tires that result in 28" outside diameter.... but 2.3 Neo Motos, 2.35 Nevegals, 2.25 Schwalbe HD's and NN's, and Maxxis Ardent 2.25's have all been run successfully on converted HD 140's ( no shock limiting required post-2012) and HD 160's ( some shock limiting required ).

Don't care about 650b?.... just look for the one in the best shape at the best price I guess.... could probably save some serious coin on a 2011 w/ 135 rear end. You can pick up new Hadley rear hubs in multiple colors with that axle standard on Ebay right now for $170 shipped. CHA-CHING

mtbr member
    Quite honestly, I don't care about 650b. Plus I've got some nice DT 240s/ZTR Arches I want to put on this build. I'm pretty certain I can convert to both 135 or 142, but I have to check into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Right on. You're good to go then... those hubs will do it all.

mtbr member
    Or you can have a non direct mount FD with the 142 rear end like mine.