mtbr member
    Apr 2010

HD vs Chilcotin ?'s AGAIN

I've been trying to decide between a Mojo HD and a Knolly Chilcotin for a while now. I was nearly 100% sold on the HD, but with all these comparison threads going around it has me second guessing. Granted, many of them are from the Knolly forum, but some have been off the All Mountain forum as well.

It's difficult to differentiate between fanboy loyalty and honest truth. I haven't read a really negative review on either bike so I'm sure I'd be happy no matter what, but if I can I want the best.

My primary focus would be on the downs and not worried about the climbing or weight. I'd definitely put a better shock on the HD like a vivid air.

Here are a couple links to the threads I was speaking of...the second one compares the Firebird as well. I'm not interested in it at all.

2012 Chilcotin vs Mojo HD

Knolly Chilcotin vs Pivot Firebird? < > too close to call?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My solution is to get both.

Otherwise it's a very tough call.

mtbr member
    Go out and ride them and then decide. We cannot do this for you. It all depends on how you're going to ride and what you're going to ride. The Knolly is a very nice bike, but not for me. The HD flat out climbs better and is better on the trails, the Knolly is going to be better going downhill like a downeyville or places like that. But also you have to know what you like, and none of us can answer that for you. I will say you will not get the most out of both bikes unless you fiddle with the rear shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quite different bikes IMO. Build of the Knolly tend towards the burlier.
    The HD is a balanced bike in respect to climbing and descending. I would get a Knolly to go alongside my HD is we had a chairlift nearby. Looks like a great park, mini dh play bike but I am not sure I would want to be climbing the hills around here on it.

The HD is a perfect partner to a rider wanting to do it all and isn't a afraid of the effort on the climbs and still wants to rip the descents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I appreciate the sincere responses. I understand that others are unable to decide for me. I know how I ride and what I like to ride. I was just looking for some more comparisons of the two from people who have been on them.

I have ridden an HD 160 and loved the way it climbed. My dressed up 215 lbs. made the RP23 work hard and I didn't do anything too aggressive. Like I said before, I would not run that shock so that problem would be solved. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the bike.

I am currently unable to test ride a Knolly because the closest dealer is nearly 3 hours away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You'll love the HD no doubt but the question is whether you want a more gravity orientated sled or not.
    Ibis have balanced the HD to sit midway between XC and DH, pedally or plush. The bike does it all. And its fast.

Check out the podium and the results list

Supermountain powered by SRAM - Round 1 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow, that's pretty impressive. 1-4 sweep, not to mention all the others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by induction View Post
    I appreciate the sincere responses. I understand that others are unable to decide for me. I know how I ride and what I like to ride. I was just looking for some more comparisons of the two from people who have been on them.

I have ridden an HD 160 and loved the way it climbed. My dressed up 215 lbs. made the RP23 work hard and I didn't do anything too aggressive. Like I said before, I would not run that shock so that problem would be solved. Overall, I was extremely impressed with the bike.

I am currently unable to test ride a Knolly because the closest dealer is nearly 3 hours away.
    You won't be disappointed in any way with the HD, but for the amount of money you can spend on either bike, the 3 hour trip should be worth it. I think the HD may be the fastest bike I have ever ridden, it can keep up with my 05 epic s-works (sold it) going up, and destroys it going down. Plus with the DW-link, it's pretty flickable and handles very well in the air. You don't get the saggy feeling of a vpp link jumping either which makes for a more stable platform. At least to me anyways. You can just do it all, and do it all very well on the HD.

I also just saw that post where someone said that the chili is in the same league climbing. That made me laugh out loud. Under NO CIRCIMSTANCES can the Chill outclimb the HD. I rode the chili in Los Gatos in the same hills I ride everyday on my HD and I am 10 minutes slower according to my Garmin, and I can posts dates, times and videos for proof. Now part of that time is a lot of flats leading up to the trails, and the HD is just better there, but going up, I struggled with the Knolly. The chili is better at big stuff, it felt real good on rock gardens and rough terrain, but as far as going downhill, and whatever kind of riding you do, that will be up to you, but I can tell you first hand that the Chill while being a very capable bike, cannot climb like an HD. Period. But here is the thing, you really can't go to a Ibis form and Knolly form and ask these questions, as you will get Knolly guys saying this and that, and the same on the Ibis forum. You really have to do your own demo and see what you like best.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 07-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.