mtbr member

HD tires for CO riding

I've made all the parts selections but tires. I've got an XC background so looking for suggestions. They will go on a Mojo HD w/ Lyrik DH and Stan's Flow EX rims.

I ride Colorado. Mostly it's hardpack, loose over hard, loose, or rocks. There's very little moisture and very few roots. I'll be doing all mtn trails and will ride this bike in a playful aggressive manner - not necessarily wicked old school DH, but more corner jumps, gaps and drops wherever I can find em I've never been but I'll probably spend a few days at the parks.

If Schwalbes weren't so damn spendy I might do Hans 2.35 F and Nic 2.35 R. Looking for other options/opinion for this type of riding.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The setup you mentioned is currently on my AM 29er. The Hans/Nic is a great combo for CO if you can swing it. Another good one on my AM 26er is a Minion 2.5 DHF front / and Ardent 2.25 rear. Some of the new Specialized tires actually aren't half bad either.

mtbr member
    i ride CO front range mostly. was on conti trail kings for a good while which were great. when i switched to 650b i discovered tire i love the best so far. it is vee rubber trail taker. it is absolutely awesome front tire. i have it paired with neomoto.
    hans and nic are good tires but i go through tires too quick and cant afford them. vee rubbers are about half of schwalbe. you can get schwalbes from germany for decent price so you (and i) might give that a try.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    if you're keen on the schwalbe rubber, try www.bike-discount.de...usually 30-40% off MSRP, I just picked up a second set of hans dampfs for $70/pair...
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

Off the back...
    Our front range [Alberta] is kind of like your front range, although your soil is sandier than ours. I find the Ardent to lack traction in the rear on steep climbs [even compared to the DHF], but it works great in front. In the back I really like the Conti Rubber Queen [Black Chilli compound]. The Schwalbe Fat Albert / Big Betty combo is really great as well. YMMV

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

HD tires for CO riding

As a fellow Albertan who just bought a NN2.3 in Colorado this week, I'm disappointed with the tire. The edge knobs are just too squirmy. Riding 18 Rd in GJ, felt like the rear end was wanting to slide out in the fast turns, kept having to slow down. In more technical terrain on Lunch Loops and Moab, same thing rear tire slips, doesn't feel like enough support. Should have gone with a Specialized Butcher Control and Ground Control combo like I had originally planned.

Grams Light Bikes
    Another thumbs up on the Trail King 2.4's