Thread: HD+Tahoe=Magic

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

HD+Tahoe=Magic

Rode Mr. Toads and Christmas Valley on my 2-month old HD. Awesome!! This frame is perfect for those boulders and launchers. With its BB height and smooth travel, these trails were the best riding time I've ever had. I cleared all the rocks gardens and sections that on another frame I was too timid to attempt.

For you NorCal boys, you know what I mean. Those trails are the ultimate AM riding terrain around.

Just a rave...
    We Ride In God's Country!

screamer
    Nice! I just did the same ride on Saturday... What perfect weather & conditions! To be honest, I felt a little undergunned on my Mojo C at the top of Toad's, on those steep boulder roll-ins. One of the few times in NorCal where I've really felt I needed an HD (beyond mere lusting, that is!).

We're lucky to have such amazing trails! I agree: one of the best rides I've ever done.

(Incidentally, the 27.5 wheels are fantastic on those techy, rocky climbs. Sorry, had to get that in there.)
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    650B sounds like a good way to go. On the HD though, for me the BB would be too high. But I do like the idea for that extra roll-over ability.
    We Ride In God's Country!

Too Much Fun

Good job! Yup

Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    For you NorCal boys, you know what I mean. Those trails are the ultimate AM riding terrain around.
    HD + Toads = Pure Pleasure.

So good.
    - -benja- -

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Couldn't agree more. We just arrived from Cali last week. Spent most of the time in South lake. I usually ride my HD 140/150mm, but swapped to 160 RS monarch / Fox Talas, and I must say wow!!! Tahoe is freaking awesome!!!! This is my third time up there, but the first time I stayed more than one day (stayed 9 ) and that I had my HD. We had a blast!!!! First day did Armstrong pass all the way up and came down on it- connector-sidewinder-corral, sweet!

Second day climbed to toads from the north, and I must say the first part was quite challenging but awesome! HD really shined there!! I must say as much as we enjoyed Toads, coming down from Star Lake to Cold Creek was a bit better, not as challenging as the beginning of Toads but man it flowed really good and was kind of more consistent, definitely one of our favorites up there. We did mount Rose trt to flume down Chimney Beach, and DAMN!!! that 4 miles down Chimney are really really good, took one jump that I though was gonna air a bit (I'm not a big jumper, more like down and fast), but it flew me up almost 5 feet up!! and the HD felt nice and balanced, the landing was smooth. A friend recorded 33 mph and I was blazing faster tan him, a BLAST. Highly recommend that downhill, awesome!

We are already planning on going next year, longer stay maybe 15 days, including some Santa Cruz and Demo but in the beginning of the season in order to get better packed trails, most were really loose in the corners, with a lot of deep deco-granite sand. By the way the Downieville downhill was blown to Hell, I mean it really is taking a beating, a shame really. We did it, then headed to North Yuba Trail, a must!!!! but those first steep climbs hurt...

Damn it's never enough up there! Missed Second Divide, Big Boulder, Mills Peak... crap, I want to move up there!!!!

MTB paradise, HD heaven....
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Probably I didn't went to the right spots there, but past year I visited both Santa Cruz and Tahoe on the same trip and there is no way you can compare the Tahoe and Santa Cruz rides. Tahoe is just fascinating.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    No comparisons made... But Santa Cruz is really good if you know where to go. Tahoe is, for lack of a better word, Epic.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    DVille was blown because of the race. It was in great shape right before it.