Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aka dan51

HD swingarm on a Mojo, here it is.

All this talk of being able to put an HD swing-arm on an SL/SLR/Mojo got me wondering about it, so tonight I did it.
    I used the HD links and bolts, it was a straight forward swap.
    The biggest problem is going to be cable routing, but some zip-ties handled that for the short term.
    I measured HA, BB height, and distance from crank center-line to rear axle (chainstay length).
    • HA stayed the same.
    • BB looks to be the same, maybe 1/8" lower.
    • Chainstay is about 1/4" longer.
    • Weight gain is under .1lb.

At full bottom out, there is about 3/4" of room between the tire and the frame. The tire is a Specialized Captain 2.2 GRID on an Easton Haven wheel.
    I'm hoping for a quick test spin tomorrow, otherwise it will have to wait until next weekend.
    I think a white one would look sweet on this frame.

HD swingarm on a Mojo, here it is.-full.jpg

Gap between tire and seat tube at bottom out.
    HD swingarm on a Mojo, here it is.-tire-clearance.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What size and model frame did you do this conversion on? where did you get the parts?
    jr

aka dan51
    It's a large original Mojo.
    I've had both bikes for the last 3-4 years, so I just swapped the swing arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a 2010 mojo small frame and wife has small mojo sl same year. do you think this swing arm would fit a small frame? Ibis just announced they'll sell a limited number of custom made swing arms to help covert to 650b but its a one time deal, let them know now if you want it, and they'll make a run. they say its just to convert HD. what do you think? jr

aka dan51
    I got my first test ride on it today, but it was short.
    The added chainstay length was the biggest difference I noticed. The bike didn't feel as nimble and playful as it usually does. It wasn't a significant change, but getting through switchbacks was different.
    I did a small drop off a rock and landed nose heavy, since it's now a little harder to get the front wheel off the ground.

I did not feel any of the flex in the rear I normally do. Some of that could be due to running a different rear wheel than normally, since my normal wheel is not a 12mm axle.

I'll put in a bigger ride next weekend for a better test.

James, the mounting points are the same on all sizes of Mojo/SL/SLR, so the rear triangle should technically bolt right on.

mtbr member
    ... Guiness Foam and Vitamin P .... strange combo, yet... not really...ha

I'm glad somebody actually did this!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    d bug this doesn't quite make sense. MOJO HD retrofit swingarm coming!!!
    Hans posted this in the "new ibis" thread on page 11, this DEFINITELY needs it's own thread...

Retrofit to HD
    The HDR swing arm does not directly retrofit on to the HD.
    Yet.
    In addition to adding a bunch more tire clearance, we offset the link attachment points to get more clearance for FD and ISCG. We are planning on making some retrofit swing arms for people would want to put them on HDs. It will be several months away before we can do it, maybe around the end of the year, but we're planning on it. It is a 2mm shift in the suspension pivot tubes, so we can make a special run of swing arms for retrofit. Then you'd have more tire and chain clearance. Hans
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

Did you just buy a stock HD rear swing arm and get lucky in getting it to fit with original hardware? How much did they charge you for it? jr

aka dan51
    It's an HD swingarm on a Mojo. Nothing about what I've done is related to the HDR.

I own both a mojo and an HD. I pulled the swingarm off my HD and put it on my Mojo using the HD links.

Dropshot Champ!
    please find a way to test w/ a different wheel. Borrow/beg/steal. Of course the haven carbon is gunna skew details, that's a damn stiff wheel.

The captain 2.2 is pretty darn big, looks like gobs o room. Any improvement in side2side stay clearance? I'm surprised you noticed 6mm of chainstay length in a switchback and a jump, seems super minimal.

I thought hans said rear swap would give 1 degree steep hta, but maybe that's only on the 160, 140 stays the same?

Lastly, THANKS! riding gg2mb on sat? if so, let me spin it a bit?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    please find a way to test w/ a different wheel. Borrow/beg/steal. Of course the haven carbon is gunna skew details, that's a damn stiff wheel.

The captain 2.2 is pretty darn big, looks like gobs o room. Any improvement in side2side stay clearance? I'm surprised you noticed 6mm of chainstay length in a switchback and a jump, seems super minimal.

I thought hans said rear swap would give 1 degree steep hta, but maybe that's only on the 160, 140 stays the same?

Lastly, THANKS! riding gg2mb on sat? if so, let me spin it a bit?
    Not riding gg2mb.
    I can put the other wheel on, just didn't feel like swapping hub adapters the other day. Assuming I still have the adapter...
    Hans' comment sounds like it's related to changing from HD160 to HD140.
    I was surprised I noticed any handling difference. I figured I'd just notice the stiffness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Not riding gg2mb.
    I can put the other wheel on, just didn't feel like swapping hub adapters the other day. Assuming I still have the adapter...
    Hans' comment sounds like it's related to changing from HD160 to HD140.
    I was surprised I noticed any handling difference. I figured I'd just notice the stiffness.
    This is interesting. Can you confirm the exact difference in mesured BB height that you observed with the stock HD swing arm mounted to your Mojo? Apparently, there is a Spec difference in chainstay length between the HD swingarm and the original Mojo Swingarm, i.e. 17.2 vs 16.9? This would theoretically provide for more tire /seat tube clearance at bottom out on the Mojo, right?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    This is interesting. Can you confirm the exact difference in mesured BB height that you observed with the stock HD swing arm mounted to your Mojo? Apparently, there is a Spec difference in chainstay length between the HD swingarm and the original Mojo Swingarm, i.e. 17.2 vs 16.9? This would theoretically provide for more tire /seat tube clearance at bottom out on the Mojo, right?
    I will have to wait until I put the old swingarm back on to get an exact measurement.
    But, I was paying close attention when doing the initial measurement with original swingarm on. When I did the second measurement, with the HD swingarm on it, I was expecting to see something like 1/4" difference. But I didn't, so I took an even closer look. Best I can tell is it is the same, or maybe 1/8" lower with the HD swingarm.

There is more clearance between the tire and seat-tube for sure. I recall some people having issues where the tire would run the front der cable on bottom out. That's nearly impossible with the tire I have on there now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    dbug i'm sure its too much trouble to try, but i wish you would put on the stock swing arm with the HD bottom piece. looks like that would make the additional clearance of 1/8 to 1/4" possible. better a $75 fix than a $675 fix. hmmm

Mojo HD Retrofit Swingarm for 650b/27.5" wheel conversion
    Preorder Now!
    Color:
    Price: $599.00

More Info
    If you own a Mojo HD and want to run 650b wheels with robust mud clearance, this new swingarm is what you need. Additionally, we've modified the dropouts to be fully compatible with 11 speed cassettes.

We are taking custom orders for this retrofit swingarm, and delivery will be 60-90 days from order. Your card will not be charged until it's shipped (unless you pay with PayPal, in which case it will be immediately charged). We will be painting these to match the original Mojo HD, so your bike will look fresh and new (well, at least the swingarm will).

With 650b wheels, this swingarm works in the shorter travel mode using the 140mm limbo chips. If you have an HD 140, no problem, this will bolt right on with the limbo chips and shock you already have.

If you're running a 160mm HD, then you will need a 7.875" x 2" shock along with some 140 limbo chips. You can order the limbo chips from us, in the related products below. We are not currently selling any shocks to match.

This swingarm will give you identical geometry to the Mojo HD 140. So if you're switching from 26" to 650b wheels, your bb height will grow approximately .5", depending on your tires.

Finally, this swingarm has 142 x 12 Maxle rear axle spacing. So if you are converting from an HD with a 135 x 12 Maxle, you'll need to modify your rear hub to fit. If you have a set of 142 Maxle wheels for your HD (140 or 160) and have one of the older 135 Maxle HD swingarms, this will also work as an upgrade.

International Customers: The shipping cost on the swingarm is $50.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting. I assume that the HD links you're referring to are the bottom links. What are you using for top links? Lopes SL, Lopes HD, or pre-Lopes SL links?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel242 View Post
    Interesting. I assume that the HD links you're referring to are the bottom links. What are you using for top links? Lopes SL, Lopes HD, or pre-Lopes SL links?
    All links are HD.

Too Much Fun

Good job! Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    All this talk of being able to put an HD swing-arm on an SL/SLR/Mojo got me wondering about it, so tonight I did it.
    SCIENCE!

I had been meaning to do this with my old SL, just for shits & giggles, and then never got ahold of an HD rear. And then later just ended up getting an HD...

Glad someone finally got around to doing a FrankenMojo!
    - -benja- -

aka dan51
    Got a good ride in on it today with my original wheel on it instead of the one from the HD. This means the only change to the bike was the swing arm and both links.

The good:
    Stiffness is definitely improved. I never once felt the rear get squirmy like I usually do.

The bad:
    The suspension now functions the same as an HD 140. The curves between HD140 and SL are different enough the my push tuned shock felt like garbage. The bike felt like it had 120mm of generic brand travel. Small bump sucked and big hits were lame. It feels like it's ramping up faster. Getting the shock retuned for HD140 suspension might make it all good again.
    It looks lame.

The same:
    The bike still handled awesome and the longer chain stay didn't hurt handling too much.

The HD links will not work with the SL triangle. The spacing is not the same, and is off by about 1/8" on the lower link.

Dropshot Champ!
    Thank you for swapping wheels and reporting back.

The rear shock just sounds like every push'd shock I've ever owned :P

aka dan51
    The pushed shock on this bike is the BEST shock I haver ever had. Which is why I am surprised how crappy it feels with the HD triangle on it.
    Granted, the first tune sucked, but the second tune is perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I wonder how the recommended tune from Ibis/Fox varies for the Mojo HD 140 to the Std. Mojo? Also, if you get around to swapping back to the stock rear Mojo Swingarm, perhaps you can update us on the actual BB height difference? I am told that the side view section of the HD rear triangle and the Mojo/SL/SLR are identical. So the only way I can see the BB height changing (i.e. lower is better-IMO) would be if use of the HD links provide a different BB height.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I assume also, that the original Mojo swingarm is not compatible with the HD links (due to the 2 mm offset).
    Last edited by buggymancan; 12-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    I assume alos, that the original Mojo swingarm is not compatible with the HD links (due to the 2 mm offset).
    Whatever goes for the Mojo SL, will be the same for the Mojo.

aka dan51
    BB height is unchanged between swingarms.
    Put the HD back together last night and rode it today. I love that bike. At the end of every downhill I tell my woman "I love this bike", and she just rolls her eyes... probably in jealousy...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

scaled .gif

To try for a sense of scale for the current options on the SL-R I made an animated gif comparing the stock SL-R to (SL-R w/ HD swingarm) to (SL-R with HD swingarm and 27.5):

http://i.imgur.com/m6ivu31.gif

Note the animated .gif doesn't seem to run from within Tapatalk.

I tried to get the scales accurate down to the pixel in the following senses:
    -Normalize orig. SL-R and HD image sizes by their wheelbase.
    -Align HD swingarm to set farther back by diff. in chainstay dimension.
    -Scale wheels to 27.5 by taking (584+2*tireHeight)/(559+2*tireHeight) so outside tread diameter should be accurate.

mtbr member

Neato!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast