[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011

HD slowing down on stairs

When I ride stairs, my HD slows down. It's the rear end that sort of brakes. Since I am satisfied with the general downhill performance, I'm puzzled by this behaviour. I'm on a large HD 160, 1st gen CCDBA with ~130psi, rider weight 77kg/169pounds without gear

Do you also experience this? Is it a suspension setup topic only?

Thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    How much sag are you running?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Hmm, I think I know the feeing you're talking about. I've also ridden my HD extensively with a CCDBA, as well as RP23, and Monarch+. Assuming your sag is set properly (not overly soft), off the top of my head I'd guess that some or all of the following might be happening:

1. Rebound generally unbalanced between fork and shock. If your fork is rebounding significantly faster than your shock, it would likely feel like your rear end is getting roughly dragged down the stairs without a chance to work. Also, it could feel like your fork is pushing back into the rear end as it rebounds much faster. Fork/shock interaction sucks, and a balanced front and rear is key...

2. Shock Rebound too slow (too many + clicks of HSR) - Causing the shock to pack down to bottom of the its stroke where it ramps up and keeps the wheel from clearing out of the way smoothly, instead smacking into each square edged hit. If the first couple steps feel good, but then it feels slow till the bottom that could be this happening.

3. Way too little compression damping (not enough + clicks of of LSC for platform/ride height, and not enough + clicks of HSC to keep you from using a ton of travel). This would cause you to use way too much travel, and much like above get very near the end stroke where it's harsher and doesn't move as freely. Combined with Rebound too slow, your bike would feel horribly slow. Check your shock's O-ring, are you using a reasonable amount of travel given the speed at which you're hitting the steps, or bottoming like crazy?

Hope this helps! I'm no expert, but do dork out on getting my sussy feeling good
    Evil Undead & a box of trail bike parts waiting for a new frame

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I get an hesitation too when I ride them too slow. Go a little faster and loosen up on the bike; see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yup, could totally be this simple too...

Team Chilidog!
    Subscribed. Stairs are a great way to test suspension setup, which is something I should do once I get back on the bike.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Oct 2011
    Oops. Looks like I need to check my setup more often. After realizing I had around 35-40% Sag (@salespunk), I attached the pump. And was surprised to have gone down to 80psi. I pumped to 130, which I noted down to be a good value a while ago. But then I reached ~20% Sag only. I ended up at around 110 to have about 30% sag. AND I will recheck with another pump.
    The opposite was the case at the fork, 180 Talas: too less sag, so I reduced pressure, plus I increased rebound after the push-bar-and-quickly-release-it test.

I didn't check the compression and rebound setup in the ccdba now, but will do that soon. My last notes were HSC 0.25 turns, LSC 5 clicks, HSR 3 turns, LSR 16 clicks. But last on-trail adjustments resulted (@vtsingletrack/2) in faster rebound, both high and low speed.

All that said, I had a good ride yesterday and felt fast (in my limits). Wow, science...

Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsingletrack View Post
    3. Way too little compression damping (not enough + clicks of of LSC for platform/ride height, and not enough + clicks of HSC to keep you from using a ton of travel). This would cause you to use way too much travel, and much like above get very near the end stroke where it's harsher and doesn't move as freely. Combined with Rebound too slow, your bike would feel horribly slow. Check your shock's O-ring, are you using a reasonable amount of travel given the speed at which you're hitting the steps, or bottoming like crazy?
    This sounds most reasonable to me. I revisited the CC base tunes and noticed that the compression values changed a lot. In my printout from a year ago they say 0.5 HSC and 5 LSC. Although I played around a lot by that time and was especially convinced of the low HSC value.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yea I noticed they changed recently too... I'm thinking it was never updated on their site after they updated the air can's internals to be less progressive out of the box. Originally the CCDBA complaint was "I'm running 35% sag and not using all my travel". This was addressed with air can update. Makes sense that now we need to be running more compression if the shock ramps up less out of the box.

Too Much Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerberos View Post
    When I ride stairs, my HD slows down.
    You should be clearing the stairs.
    - -benja- -

Oct 2011

AW: HD slowing down on stairs

Quote Originally Posted by vtsingletrack View Post
    ...I'm thinking it was never updated on their site after they updated the air can's internals to be less progressive out of the box. Originally the CCDBA complaint was "I'm running 35% sag and not using all my travel". This was addressed with air can update.
    Ok, that would mean I'd better stick to the previous values, because I own row 1st gen shock. Strange then that they don't give different setups for models 1 and 2.

Oct 2011
    ... "go faster" ... , "clear the stairs"... -- you guys are absolutely right. Please visit my next thread "my mind slows me down" :-D