Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

HD retrofit swing arm for more 650B clearance

As a service for HD owners, we are making a batch of swingarms with more clearance for 650B and 11 speed. They will be made to order with the original HD paint and graphics. We are only going to make one run of these. They are 142 x 12 axle compatible.

Mojo HD Retrofit Swingarm for 650b/27.5" wheel conversion – Ibis Cycles Online Store

Here's the text from the page for more detailed info:

If you own a Mojo HD and want to run 650b wheels with robust mud clearance, this new swingarm is what you need. Additionally, we've modified the dropouts to be fully compatible with 11 speed cassettes.

We are taking custom orders for this retrofit swingarm, and delivery will be 60-90 days from order. Your card will not be charged until it's shipped. We will be painting these to match the original Mojo HD, so your bike will look fresh and new (well, at least the swingarm will).

With 650b wheels, this swingarm works in the shorter travel mode using the 140mm limbo chips. If you have an HD 140, no problem, this will bolt right on with the limbo chips and shock you already have.

If you're running a 160mm HD, then you will need a 7.875" x 2" shock along with some 140 limbo chips. You can order the limbo chips from us, in the related products below. We are not currently selling any shocks to match.

This swingarm will give you identical geometry to the Mojo HD 140. So if you're switching from 26" to 650b wheels, your bb height will grow approximately .5", depending on your tires.

Finally, this swingarm has 142 x 12 Maxle rear axle spacing. So if you are converting from an HD with a 135 x 12 Maxle, you'll need to modify your rear hub to fit. If you have a set of 142 Maxle wheels for your HD (140 or 160) and have one of the older 135 Maxle HD swingarms, this will also work as an upgrade.

International Customers: The shipping cost on the swingarm is $50.

H

mtbr member
    Thanks for supporting your loyal existing customer base. I am not planning on ordering since I love my HD in 160/26 mode, but it is awesome you did this for us.

screamer
    Hans, I'll take one with an extra serving of awesome sauce on the side.

Does it include a derailleur hanger? I'm upgrading from the 135mm rear so just wondering if I need to order some extras as well.

Thanks for this! Further evidence that the HD is the most versatile mountain bike one can buy, bar none. Cold, dead hands & all that...
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post

Does it include a derailleur hanger? I'm upgrading from the 135mm rear so just wondering if I need to order some extras as well.
    Yes, it comes with a RD hanger installed.

We're happy to support HD owners and keep 'em rolling on the bigger wheels.

H

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yes, thank you Hans...it's allowing me to keep my white HD - and I just really like the white. I'm currently running it 650b but don't like the tire choice / lack of clearance in the rear end in it's current state...it's such a great bike in both 26 and 650b form...so I look forward to having for a long time to come.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's great news and thanks for the heads up.

i'm curious, i have both a 135x12 and a 142x12 HD. Would I be better off to convert the 142x12 for the added seat tube clearance?

aka dan51
    Hans, how long will we be able to order this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crlavoie View Post
    That's great news and thanks for the heads up.

i'm curious, i have both a 135x12 and a 142x12 HD. Would I be better off to convert the 142x12 for the added seat tube clearance?
    Move the 142X12 over to the frame with the 135X12 and then put the retro-fit swingarm on the frame with the extra clearance. Now both frames are 142X12....if that's what your looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

HD retrofit swing arm for more 650B clearance

Quote Originally Posted by crlavoie View Post
    Yes, there a bit more room at bottom out on that one.
    H

mtbr member
    so if i want to stay in 160 mode (i have roco tst r shimmed to 150mm travel) is there any other improvement besides clearance at yoke? what tires are known to work well with improved clearance? i have been on neo moto 2.3 for 2 years so far.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by d-bug View Post
    Hans, how long will we be able to order this?
    Through the end of this month.
    H

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    so if i want to stay in 160 mode (i have roco tst r shimmed to 150mm travel) is there any other improvement besides clearance at yoke? what tires are known to work well with improved clearance? i have been on neo moto 2.3 for 2 years so far.
    Unless you are having tire rub / mud clearance problems on the chainstay bridge or 11 speed clearance issues currently, there would be no reason to change swingarms.

The tire to seat tube clearance at bottom out is the same and is the limiting factor for how big a diameter tire you can run in 650B.

H

screamer
    Hans:

Continuing with my theme of dumb questions...

If I'm ordering the new HD rear tri, and want to get an extra derailleur hanger to keep as a spare, I'd want the standard HDR/Ripley/SLR 142mm hanger and not the modified HD 1x11spd hanger, correct?

TIA!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie View Post
    Hans:

Continuing with my theme of dumb questions...

If I'm ordering the new HD rear tri, and want to get an extra derailleur hanger to keep as a spare, I'd want the standard HDR/Ripley/SLR 142mm hanger and not the modified HD 1x11spd hanger, correct?

TIA!
    Correct, use the standard hanger on this one...

screamer
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Will this new rear give the same 130mm travel as the HDR in 27.5 mode?

Also the website says this would give the same geometry as the HD 140 with a gain of approx .5" in bottom bracket height so would that mean the BB would be around 14" (HD140 geometry says 13.5" BB)
    Last edited by ScottW; 12-09-2013 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Yes, it comes with a RD hanger installed.

H
    it is good move by Ibis.
    how about support the SL/SLR owners, Hans?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Will this new rear give the same 130mm travel as the HDR in 27.5 mode?

Also the website says this would give the same geometry as the HD 140 with a gain of approx .5" in bottom bracket height so would that mean the BB would be around 14" (HD140 geometry says 13.5" BB)
    Yes on both questions.
    H

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by inter View Post
    it is good move by Ibis.
    how about support the SL/SLR owners, Hans?
    You could put an HD or HD 650b retrofit swingarm and HD / HDR links on the SLR and make it a light weight HD 140 / HDR 130. The head angle would be 1 degree steeper than the HD / HDR, but you could get that back to HDR numbers with an Angleset.

H

Too Much Fun

Good job! This is Customer Service

Even though I decided to go all-in on an HDR, this is the kind of Above & Beyond effort that I love about Ibis.

Incredible bikes backed up by incredible people.

HUGE!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You could put an HD or HD 650b retrofit swingarm and HD / HDR links on the SLR and make it a light weight HD 140 / HDR 130. The head angle would be 1 degree steeper than the HD / HDR, but you could get that back to HDR numbers with an Angleset.

H
    What????? Seriously????? The HD, HDR, and retrofit swingarms fit on the SL-R? Does the original shock work ok too? Since I already have the Angleset installed on my SL-R, I may be able to get away with just the swingarm and wheelset. I think that a 650b front will fit in the Fox 32 fork. The only issue I would have is that the colors you have listed do not include the silver of my SL-R.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    What????? Seriously????? The HD, HDR, and retrofit swingarms fit on the SL-R? Does the original shock work ok too? Since I already have the Angleset installed on my SL-R, I may be able to get away with just the swingarm and wheelset. I think that a 650b front will fit in the Fox 32 fork. The only issue I would have is that the colors you have listed do not include the silver of my SL-R.
    Yes, the SLR shock will work.

Clarification from the engineering dept: the retrofit on a SL-R results in the HD140 Geo, not the HDR 130 geo. It will have a few more mm of travel and a little higher BB.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    And the Mojo SL?

screamer
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    The only issue I would have is that the colors you have listed do not include the silver of my SL-R.
    Go with a VitP rear, call it The Mullet: business in front, party out back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does the retro fit swing arm have more tire clearance for a 26 inch wheel? Say for a 2.35 hans dampf?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast