mtbr member

HD Lower Link Lifespan

I was interested in hearing how others have been getting along with the linkage bearings on the HD?

For me, the lower linkage is a weak point on the bike. Last night I pulled the swingarm off the frame and yes those lower bearings are due to be replaced once again. Gritty, grainy, sticky spots. This will be the third time in 24 months of riding. During that time, there were less than 5 times where stream crossings submerged the lower end of the bike. Very infrequent washings. No pressure wash, very light on the hose spray. Riding conditions is dry, chunky, Arizona conditions. The bike gets ridden about 2-3 times a week. I clean the drivetrain after every ride, keep dust/grime out of suspension seals, and generally like a well performing bike. I'll strip down the bike once a month or so for detailed cleaning. Compared to my old Yeti 575, this frame takes more maintenance. This is my HD's third riding season. Just letting others to take care of our investment.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes.....my lower drive side bearing seems to go first. Honestly, I just keep rididng it unless it gets really bad. It's a little rough, but I don't notice it on the trail. Once a year, after the spring, I will replace them.

mtbr member
    I'm on my third year on my HD with all original bearings , I ride hard, ride often, and clean the bike often. Go figure.

aka dan51
    3rd year for me too, still on original bearings. I did build a litte guard that attaches to the seat tube to keep out quite a bit of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

Lightly salted
    I replaced my bearings a few days ago. I have just under 1000 miles on my HD 160. I tried checking the bearings by removing the rear wheel and shock, then moving the swingarm by hand and it felt ok. I didn't relize my bearings were in such bad shape! I thought the bike felt fine, but when I removed the lower bearings and tried to spin the bearing by hand they were very gritty, rough and 2 were even hard to spin by hand. The upper bearings were in good shape, only slightly gritty, but I replaced anyway since I had the bike apart. I think I'll replace all the bearings atleast once a year as normal maintance. Fairly cheap and easy to do. The small bump and high speed chatter has improved noticably with the new bearings.

Unpredictable
    I replaced my mojo C linkage bearings about every 6 months for 2 years and then put in ceramic bearings. They have lasted nearly 3 years, but are getting close to the end now.

mtbr member
    2nd year just replaced mine, they were indecent shape, but like a knucklehead i power wash the bike at times. All pivot bearings will need changing from time to time. All bikes with a full suspension will need it. Its just part of routine maintenance.