mtbr member

HD.. it's been fun.. but I'm upgrading an jumping to a different brand

I've had my HD for 2 years now.. and have finally decided to jump ship. I'll still have my ripley, which I love, but I really feel the HDR was not the best that they could do.. I wanted to convert to 650b, but didn't wanna run a 2.25 tire in the rear, an it would cost me about 2k by the time I did fork, wheels, shimmed shock etc.. Decided to go with an intense Carbine. (got a seriously good deal).. If I hate it I'll just sell the frame (I won't lose any money) an come back an upgrade to the HDR.. But for me I demoed a Bronson etc.. an it just felt good, an the intense is pretty much the same bike, with suttle differences. The retrofit swingarm is coming I know, but I don't really feel like waiting and it would still cost me more money, than just dumping the HD an switching. Overall, the HDR just didn't hit it out of the park for me...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

Dropshot Champ!
    I will take your HD.

mtbr member
    you can buy it here ;-) 2012 Ibis Mojo HD Large - Pinkbike
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    I have a Ripley and a Carbine 275. They complement each other quite well. I love both bikes, but have special affinity for the Carbine. It is a great bike.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    ^Nice! I have a ripley and I love it for what it is.. stupid fast xc machine.. I haven't actually ridden a carbine.. (I tested a Bronson) an I heard they ride very similar. I am stoked an it definitely checked all the boxes for me, that the HDR didn't..
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Funny...I just "came to peace" with my HD160 today. It's such an amazing bike and I have it just the way I want it.

Why switch? The industry has too much choice available with travel, carbon, wheel sizes, etc, etc. Think I'm going to sit back and enjoy the show for a couple of years.

mtbr member
    You hit the nail on the head. The Ripley is a fast xc machine, but it is not an AM bike. The Carbine is a super plush AM bike that rips downhills, but still climbs well. The only thing holding back my Carbine is the Fox 34 on it. At the end of the year, I'm going to buy a Pike.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. The Ripley is a fast xc machine, but it is not an AM bike.
    I'm curious if you've been on a ripley with wide bars / short stem and a 140/150 pike?

mtbr member
    I kind of agree, but for different reasons. I'd like to upgrade my Mojo SL to a 650b bike, but I don't see myself getting a heavier bike with less travel. There are other brands that have light 650b 140mm bikes. I'm hoping Ibis will be doing this soon.
    我的镀铬光泽的冰柱一样,我骑在镇附近在我的低骑手自行车

mtbr member
    My Ripley has a 140mm fork and 70mm stem and the same size bars as my Carbine (740mm). The Carbine with the burgtec offset bushings I installed has a much slacker 66 degree head angle. The bikes are similar in alot of respects and overlap some as both are excellent trail machines. The Ripley with the DW Link and lighter weight is faster, but it does not have the downhill chops of the slack/6 inch travel Carbine. Both are good bikes and if I had to get rid of one of them, it would probably be the Carbine because the Ripley is faster on 70% of my local trails. That said, I am happy I get to keep both.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Same here MV. 4 seasons now on the HD and its been a blast but my order will be going in soon on probably the Bronson, maybe the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    loving my hd 160 / 26 too! no doubt.
    also love the ripley. but I would definitely go for a longer-travel HD 650b.

mtbr member
    My ripley is set up with a 140mm x-fusion trace (awesome fork!) 750mm bars, hope hubs an arch wheels, conti x-king 2.4 tires.. an it weighs in at 26.5 lbs. It's a rocketship.. I love it for xc and light all mountain riding.. That being said, I love my HD for big stuff but it's few an far between.. and being 31lbs probably far off from being very competitive in enduro racing.

The Carbine is 5.5 lbs frame weight all the geometry is spot on, almost identical to the Bronson, has a 160 fork is 650b with plenty of tire clearance, iscg tabs, adjustable rear travel 140/150, adjustable rear chips for HA 67/66*, stealth dropper routing, my planned build should come in just under or just over 27lbs with dropper post etc.. I'm stoked..

The reason? Cost to upgrade.. I can sell my HD, and upgrade to a newer frame that fits 650b perfectly and build a stupid light all mountain 650b bike for less, than if I were to convert the HD with new rims, tires, fork, etc..
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member

HD.. it's been fun.. but I'm upgrading an jumping to a different brand

Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    My ripley is set up with a 140mm x-fusion trace (awesome fork!) 750mm bars, hope hubs an arch wheels, conti x-king 2.4 tires.. an it weighs in at 26.5 lbs. It's a rocketship.. I love it for xc and light all mountain riding.. That being said, I love my HD for big stuff but it's few an far between.. and being 31lbs probably far off from being very competitive in enduro racing.

The Carbine is 5.5 lbs frame weight all the geometry is spot on, almost identical to the Bronson, has a 160 fork is 650b with plenty of tire clearance, iscg tabs, adjustable rear travel 140/150, adjustable rear chips for HA 67/66*, stealth dropper routing, my planned build should come in just under or just over 27lbs with dropper post etc.. I'm stoked..

The reason? Cost to upgrade.. I can sell my HD, and upgrade to a newer frame that fits 650b perfectly and build a stupid light all mountain 650b bike for less, than if I were to convert the HD with new rims, tires, fork, etc..
    Hey Manchvegas; sorry for the off topic question but were you able to fit a conti x-king 2.4 in the rear of your Ripley? If so, how is the clearance? I have an almost identical Ripley build happening at the moment and Im trying to decide on tires.
    Thanks!