mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Hd as a dh... Angleset question

I know there have been a few threads about the hd as a dh bike but i was wondering if anyone is running a 180 upfront with coil in the back and an Angleset so the bike is a slack 65?

I have a 180 and the coil but I want to try to make the hd as much as a down hill sled as possible so I am wondering if the Angleset improves or messes up the hd. I will eventually get a full dh bike.

Any thoughts? I want to know how it jumps and corners... How stable at speed?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I haven't done exactly what you are asking, but making head angle changes on ANY bike is pretty much a known entity at this point. The slacker you get the better it is at speed and pojnted downhill. It also lowers the BB and you'll need to adjust seat position in the clamp. It's great until you get to the point where you just aren't a good enough rider to ride fast enough to benefit from the change. Also, if the bike is ridden on flat or god forbid uphill obviously the slacker angles are now creating a less stable ride because your speed is lower. There is a happy place in terms of speed for a given HA. I ride a 65 degree bike as a trail bike quite a bit. It's really slack feeling and works, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are also riding the bike in a more DH manner enough to justify the compromise in slow speed stability.

Faster jumps like those in a bike park will be great, slower jumps like typical dirt jumps it may not be a benefit. I say do it and let us know what you find out. You can always pull the angleset or use a different angle.

Rb
    wrenchscience.com
    Yes, I have this exact setup on my HD and it's awesome.

It makes slow-speed technical climbing a bit tougher, but the boost in descending is well worth it, IMO.
    :: wrenchscience ::

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rd... How does it jump with the slacker angle? D
    How does it compare to a full dh bike?