mtbr member

HD: crankset compatibility

Hi guys!

Last week I sent an e-mail to Ibis, asking about the front derailleur I need if I mount the Shimano XT 38-24 crankset in my Mojo HD. Scot answered me that this crankset doesn't work well in this frame. I don't know the reason of this: chain sucks, rings too close to the frame,... Nevertheless, XTR two rings crankset do it perfectly (and Sram too).

Of course I trust in him but, on the other hand, in my LBS, the shop assistant has said to me that this crankset works perfectly and most of the Mojo HD they sell, are built with Shimano XT two rings crankset.

What do you think about it? Is there anybody who mount in his Mojo HD a 38-24 or 38-26 Shimano XT crankset? Do they work well?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ride a 1x, but I will wager that Scot was referring to the ring combination ( diameters ) and clearance. Certainly there are tons of HDs running xt 2x cranks. Maybe the 38 is just too large a diameter and can put the chain in too close a proximity to the swing arm in a worse case scenario of chainsuck etc...

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    I'm on 2013 XT 38/24 along with 11/36 rear. While I can't compare to another setup in order to elaborate on what "doesn't work well" vs. perfect would mean, this drive works fine. (since I added a clutch derailleur XT shadow plus)

mountain biker
    in keeping with the ring tooth count theory, perhaps the 38 and 24 rings miss the ideal anti-squat characteristics of the frame design. If I remember correctly, the frame was designed to pedal best with a 32-36 ring. 38t and 24t rings bracket that ideal chainring size and could result in sub-optimal suspension kinematics...? maybe? just a theory.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.