Thread: Hd & 650b

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hd & 650b

Hey, I was just woundering, is anyone buying an HD with the sole purpose of running it with 650b's front and rear rather than the full downhill and hucking capability? I.e, building it up lite like it was an SL only with larger wheels?

I think it would be tempting and the guys in my area (all 29'ers now) would let me ride with them again.

Mojo

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Do it and let us know! =)

T.W.O.
    I am thinking exactly that!, well that and the firebird. Deciding between the 2 now. Seems like I've got sometime because the Small frame batch would take a while.

My Mojo is 5.9, and HD is 6.3 lbs not that big of the different even it's the same travel. The only different would be the fork and the wheel. I'd probably want a bit more travel in the front than about 5.5" it has in the front now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    I am thinking exactly that!, well that and the firebird. Deciding between the 2 now. Seems like I've got sometime because the Small frame batch would take a while.

My Mojo is 5.9, and HD is 6.3 lbs not that big of the different even it's the same travel. The only different would be the fork and the wheel. I'd probably want a bit more travel in the front than about 5.5" it has in the front now.
    I don't think you will need more travel with the lager wheels. I'd be concerned with the increase in frame height on the HD with the larger wheels. I'm not sure of the current geo on the HD running 6" of travel

Mojo

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Hmmm...I count three separate 650b Threads just on the first page of the Ibis forum.

I'm not certain what all there is to discuss other than the 3 ho-hum tire choices you have to choose from? At this point in time, I would venture to say save your hard earned money and spend it on some decent rubber/wheel options that are only available in the 26" sizeway.

Or just buy a 29'er hardtail and call it good.