Thread: HD 150 question

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

HD 150 question

I just recently switched from 160 talas to 150 float with 140 float rp23 rear.
    Now is a 203(8") rotor upfront an overkill for what my bike is now? I just transferred what I had from the 160 fork without checking if the 8" rotor is even ideal/recommended for the 150 float. Any thoughts?
    Also, has anyone seen the Siccc carbon rotors, and what are your thoughts on that product?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Only you are going to be able to answer that question. Try the smaller rotor and see if it's fine for your weight and riding style.

I found that when I went to the bigger rotor on the front and moved the 180 to the back, the biggest improvement was in the rear. The front improvement was small but the rear was alot better.

I almost could run 180F and 180R, but I'll keep the 203F and 180R set up I have now.

I had a X-Country bike with 160F and 160R and never had an issue with it either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    That's exactly what I have now, 203F+180R. So I guess it's ok with the 150mm fork as long as the brake adapter is correct? I had someone told me that 203F rotor is way too big for the float 150 fork that's why I questioned it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ran a post mount 160 to 203 adapter on my 36 Float 160....no problem.

It's 15mm tall....so the brake caliper sits around 15mm off the existing mounts.

Hey if you're super aggressive or heavy then the 203 rotor is what you may need. I think a 180F 180R may be a good option for you.

Grams Light Bikes
    My fave combo is 203/180. When I ride with my TALAS 180, I have no choice since it's a 203 up front.

The Siccc carbon rotors look promising, but I can't really comment until I try one.

[put something cool here]
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bayareaflip View Post
    Now is a 203(8") rotor upfront an overkill for what my bike is now?
    What would mean overkill or way too big in the first place? What would the penalty be? I think we agree that you can't have too much stopping power (as long there is good modulation). And those few extra grams are not relevant imho.

If you started in the shop, you maybe would go for a 180 rotor. But now since you have your stuff ready, everything's fine.