mtbr member

HD 140 no full shock travel?

Just converted my HD160 to a HD140 650b. (Pics and details to come later in separate thread). with a 2013 Fox Float RP23 CTD Boost Valve w/Trail Adjust, Kashima 7.875" x 2" travel. But even with all air let out there is still 1/4inch left on the shaft. Is this right? it is a brand new shock, and I wanted to know before I took it home from the LBS (who I trust and who are the ones who brought it to my attention). They are calling FOX and IBIS for there opinons but wanted to know what everybody elses experience was.

Thanks!

bike rider
    Did you measure how far the o-ring moves? Keep in mind the 2" is with the BO bumper fully compressed so even with no air and pushing down hard on the seat I'd expect 49mm. Less than 48mm would raise an eyebrow.
    Keep the Country country.

Lightly salted
    The 7.875" x 2" shock is a 2-1/4" stroke shock that has an internal spacer to reduce travel by 1/4". That's why you have the 1/4" left when you fully compress that 2" stroke shock. Measure the shaft and you will see its 2-1/4" even though its a 2" stroke.
    Last edited by fuenstock; 11-26-2012 at 11:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    The 7.875" x 2" shock is a 2-1/4" stroke shock that has an internal spacer to reduce travel by 1/4". That's why you have the 1/4" left when you fully compress that 2" stroke shock. Measure the shaft and you will see its 2-1/4" even though its a 2" stroke.

Wait...what?

Does that mean if I want to run my HD 140 27.5 bike as a 150(ish) in the rear I do not need to buy a new shock? All I have to do is take out the spacer and create a 2 1/4 stroke?

I know there are folks that have run 7.875 x 2 1/4 with the 140 limbo chips to sort of create a Mojo HD 150.

This would be very interesting (I have a 2013 Fox CTD FWIW)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Yup that's it! Measures 2 1/4

bike rider
    Be very careful that there's enough tire and link clearance by working the suspension through its stroke if you're gonna mess with non-stock shocks and wheels.
    Keep the Country country.