Singletrack Addict!!!

HD 140 to 160, RS RT3 or RP23 Kashima

Leaning towards the RT3, if a go, which tune mid or low?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    If you are going 160 buy the Monarch Plus RC3. Well worth the small increase in weight and blows the RP23 away in every facet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hold off and I'll tell you how I get on with a custom tuned Marzocchi from Bikeco.
    It's the Roco Air TST and was the unit that they recommended for the HD hands down over all other other (Air shock) regardless of price

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I though of the plus, but as I will be using the 160mm mode sparingly, I decided to not spend the money on it and maybe get 2 RT3's, for both 140 and 160 modes, sell the RP23. The difference for me between the plus and RT is close to $140, so with a little more, maybe what I get from the Fox, I can get two RT's.

Now I'm not spending on tuning for now, thou maybe next year I'll give it a go, hopefully, Push will start tuning monarch's again by then. As everyone seems to favor the stock Monarch over the RP23 kashima or not, I'm leaning towards it.

Though I'm really tempted by the plus...
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

OriginalDonk
    I'm also hoping to hear how people weigh in here. It sounds like the Monarch Plus RC3 has been a solid performer for the subset of HD riders that post here in MTBR. I've got a buddy who's a bit of a "Fox believer" who expects the new CTD to beat out the Monarchs. Wondering when Ibis will move to the CTD and what the conversation will look like with the:

-RS Monarch RT3
    -RS Monarch Plus RC3
    -Fox RP23 Kashima
    -CTD Kashima
    -Marzocchi Roco Air TST
    -X Fusion Vector Air

Good to hear people weigh in. May help to call out where you ride (i.e. East Coast chunk, front range, etc)

mtbr member
    I have ridden a stock Plus and have a Push tuned Plus on my bike now. I will never, ever put the RP23 back on my bike. I rode the stock Monarch Plus on my bike and would absolutely recommend going that direction especially if you are riding any chunk. Fox's idea of CTD is just a new name for their existing platform shocks which do nothing but make the ride harsh or harsher depending on where the lockout breaks free. In contrast with the RC3 you get to actually change the compression dampening.

For information purposes, I ride in Socal rocks and just got back from 5 days in Mammoth. The recommendation is for the M/L tune.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I should have the Zocchi next week. I will post my thoughts etc

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Just FYI, Ibis recommended the Monarch be low comp/med reb tune. The terrain I'll ride will be high sierras, Tahoe/Downieville, I care more for high speed control more than big hit or jump performance.

mtbr member
    Just got back from Dville, ran a M/L Monarch RC3 tune per Ibis spec and worked fantastic.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I have ridden a stock Plus and have a Push tuned Plus on my bike now. I will never, ever put the RP23 back on my bike. I rode the stock Monarch Plus on my bike and would absolutely recommend going that direction especially if you are riding any chunk. Fox's idea of CTD is just a new name for their existing platform shocks which do nothing but make the ride harsh or harsher depending on where the lockout breaks free. In contrast with the RC3 you get to actually change the compression dampening.

For information purposes, I ride in Socal rocks and just got back from 5 days in Mammoth. The recommendation is for the M/L tune.
    Salespunk, sorry to thread jack, but how did the HD handle the Mammoth terrain? I had to postpone my trip there. I run a Push tunes RT3 by the way.

_____
    Jul 2007
    Is the fox rp23 that hopeless? I've ridden my 2011 HD with a rp23 for almost two years now and I am ready for a rebuild. Would it be a better investment to buy a stock Monarch rt3 or send my rp23 into Push for a custom tune? I'm 6'5, 190 lbs and ride Arizona rocks with lots of climbing and fast chunky descents.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Sweet, I should receive mine this friday, probably testing on sunday..

How was Downieville?? I should be there late Sept.