mtbr member

Has anyone tried the Vivid Air R2C yet?

I am curious if anyone has used this shock for the HD yet? Thoughts.

Team Sanchez
    I had one on my NomadC. It was marginally better than the RP23 that it replaced. I could never get full travel out of it. I like the Monarch Plus on my HD much better. I think it's more a function of DW link vs. VPP though, not the shocks themselves.
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    Ok cool, good to know. Thanks for the post.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes. Its a very good match the HD and the Vivid Air. Very different from RP23.

MPI
    mtbr member
    I have had a Vivid Air R2C in my HD for two seasons. I have also have a DBAir. Both are good IMHO. VA is easier to setup. I had a problem with stock RP23 HV ( blows through the travel, too harsh with increased pressure. I am over 220 lbs with gear on. Normally using 35% sag in all sort of riding.

MPI
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Exact same experience for me with the RP23. I think the Vivid Air is a huge improvement, especially if you do a lot of downhill, and definitely worth the change. I got a brand new one for $300 though.

Quote Originally Posted by MPI View Post
    I had a problem with stock RP23 HV ( blows through the travel, too harsh with increased pressure. I am over 220 lbs with gear on. Normally using 35% sag in all sort of riding.

MPI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pwd81 View Post
    Exact same experience for me with the RP23. I think the Vivid Air is a huge improvement, especially if you do a lot of downhill, and definitely worth the change. I got a brand new one for $300 though.
    I had the exact same problem, I was blowing though the RP23 constantly. I asked the boys at Ibis and they told me to get the shim package, we stuck the middle sized shim in there and it worked perfectly. It turned the rp23 around to a much more progressive shock which I liked. They were totally correct. I like the rp23, but just want to try something new to see if I might like it better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    Great write up. I was going to look at getting one and getting it "pushed" but dealing with push is difficult at times and they don't do much with rock shocks right now. I sent them something yesterday and have not gotten back to me yet, will see. A pushed vivid air sounds good right now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    A pushed vivid air sounds good right now.
    You can't get a pushed Vivid Air, but it doesn't need to be pushed or modified. I believe you need the ML tune for the HD.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Great write up. I was going to look at getting one and getting it "pushed" but dealing with push is difficult at times and they don't do much with rock shocks right now. I sent them something yesterday and have not gotten back to me yet, will see. A pushed vivid air sounds good right now.
    I have the MM tune but the ML tune is recommended, the MM works fine for me and the ML tune is hard to find.
    I think Push only works on RS if you still own your pushed shock.
    Suspension Experts works on RS but I would try it out first before you have it tuned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbikerguy View Post
    I have the MM tune but the ML tune is recommended, the MM works fine for me and the ML tune is hard to find.
    I think Push only works on RS if you still own your pushed shock.
    Suspension Experts works on RS but I would try it out first before you have it tuned.
    Well right now push doesnt do much with RS, they told a few of us in a thread here that they dont have any parts right now for them. They are doing a lot of rc4 stuff. I will give suspension expert a call. I have spoken to them before and they were really great to speak with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well right now push doesnt do much with RS, they told a few of us in a thread here that they dont have any parts right now for them. They are doing a lot of rc4 stuff. I will give suspension expert a call. I have spoken to them before and they were really great to speak with.
    I found the thread, interesting stuff.

PUSH - no longer tuning the Vivid?

mtbr member
    Yep. Got your message as well. Thanks.

MPI
    mtbr member
    You can't get a pushed Vivid Air, but it doesn't need to be pushed or modified. I believe you need the ML tune for the HD.
    Tftuned VA PUSH service
    http://www.kiva.org - Loans That Change Lives

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Vivid Air is a huge improvement...I got a brand new one for $300 though.
    That is a killer deal. The cheapest I could find a vivid air was $390 for a couple weeks (now gone) and had a real hard time before finding used one in low tune for even close to $300... I ended up getting Roco WC Air (really tight fit on XL Mojo HD) for a lot less, but haven't tried it yet on DH runs as the season closed. Next summer!

By the way adding an air spacer in the rp23 (cheap!) works a lot better - you can keep low pressure for small bumps, but ramp up more so you don't blow through travel so easily during jumps. Not a fan of High Volume on the HD... they should just bundle that <$25 part with it as a lot of people probably don't know about it...
    Last edited by adumesny; 11-09-2012 at 08:17 AM.

mtbr member

Roco

[QUOTE=adumesny;9851272]That is a killer deal. The cheapest I could find was $390 for a couple weeks (now gone) and had a real hard time before finding used one in low tune for even close to $300... I ended up getting Roco WC Air (really tight fit on XL Mojo HD) for a lot less, but haven't tried it yet on DH runs as the season closed. Next summer!

Make sure to report back when you get some ride time on that shock. I'm very interested to hear how the Roco WC works on the HD. There was some chat about the TST version being great, Im guessing the WC will also be a sweet ride.