Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Has anyone on earth ridden a Ripley?

Other than Ibis employees, has anyone on earth ridden a Ripley? It seems impossible to find any review from someone actually riding one. Which leads me to believe we won't see one for quite some time still. Must still be bugs to be worked out or presumably some mtb magazine editor somewhere would have gotten their leg over one.

If anyone knows of any reviews written up online from someone who has actually ridden one, please tell us!

mtbr member
    You won't find a review on a bike that is not released to the public yet. (I would not think) It has been raced and has done very well, but no reviews as of yet till it's ready.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Evan Plews is sponsored by Ibis and is currently racing a prototype. Here is a link that shows Evans Ripley: Evan Plews | Speakers and more | CyclingDirt

mtbr member
    It is a sweet bike. I am not allowed to ride it, but it's pretty dang sweet. People will be very happy when it does come out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Our shop has been pimping out Ibis for years. The boss says he still has heard nothing. Thats it, im done waiting (all summer). Just put and order in for the SC Tallboy LTc. Sorry! Maybe someday ill get an HD

mtbr member
    ewn plews on white ripley..others riders from his crew with others IBIS surprise?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone on earth ridden a Ripley?-249436_10151213602428162_1203136367_n.jpg  

Has anyone on earth ridden a Ripley?-398199_4518568319566_1260382636_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    hmmmm a 29er Tranny! Makes sense and maybe a good winter bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I saw Evan's Ripley at the Fat 55 in oakridge. Sweet bike and he won by about 15 minutes--but that's more about Evan than the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo_man View Post
    hmmmm a 29er Tranny! Makes sense and maybe a good winter bike.
    Those look a whole lot more like Chiners than Trannys.

Too Much Fun

... and if we just ... Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    ...but that's more about Evan than the bike.
    ...that's pure speculation on your part.

Word on the street (Railroad Ave to be specific,) in Oakridge was that the Ripley would still have won the race with a comfortable 8-10min margin w/o anyone actually riding the bike.

IT'S THAT GOOD.

It's still 2012 people. BELIEVE.
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    Encouraging.... the white Ripley would lead one to believe that he's moved on from the early proto black bike and is riding something closer to production form. When were these pictures taken?

Are those hardtails really Ibis bikes?? They definitely don't look like a tranny.

DILLIGAF
    Those hardtails have internal cable routing, so...

mtbr member
    I don't know if the two front 29 bikes are Ibis..it' only a guess, probably not..Ibis is a sponsor by this team..If you try to found REALL bikes on the web, don't exist..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    White Ripley = hot.

Definitely a nice update to wake up to! I can hear my bank account trembling already!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm sure it will be a great bike when it comes out, but it was a huge mistake to get people revved up about it at LAST YEAR'S Interbike, then go silent/missing this year.

I'm a big Turner fan, but the Ripley (and honestly, any DW bike) intrigues me.

I'm predicting a Halloween release.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

the train keeps rollin
    Just in time for the winter, woohooo!
    beaver hunt

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoeyeti View Post
    Those look a whole lot more like Chiners than Trannys.
    yeah they do. It's funny how many top riders are riding chinese open-mould carbon bikes.

mtbr member
    I agree, I think they screwed the pooch big time on the Ripley release. If they're not going to announce a release schedule, they shouldn't announce the bike. Yeti seems to have taken this approach, which makes at least some sense: they won't announce a new bike until it's ready to ship. But Ibis has done the worst of both worlds, showing the bike over a year before it's ready, putting it on the website, but refusing to give any specific info on when it'll actually come out (and I'm sorry, "second half of 2012" isn't specific info.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    Just in time for the winter, woohooo!
    Maybe, that's why it's all hush-hish. It's actually going to be a 29" wheeled, carbon fiber, full suspension, Fat bike! Boo-Yeah!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I had a wad of cash set aside for a ripley, but like others feel the whole thing just proves they haven't the ability to get the concept sorted enough to get it in to the market, which would not have been so evident if they hadn't been so premature launching their marketting.
    At the same time I think that taking time to get it bang on is not a bad thing, in fact I prefer those like Ibis and SC that wait and get things sorted and dialed rather than companies that rush out some special release pos every time theres a new moon.

The cash I had set aside for a ripley was diverted into this Show your Tallboys picture thread? Is there one? . Judging by their speed, when it comes time to replace the TB in 2-3 years, Ibis might just have the ripley finished. Wonder how much market share they will have lost by then to chinese knock offs?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That aside, the 'First Mover Advantage' is gone now.

When Ibis announced the Ripley it garnered lots of attention because it was developed as a 29'er that could race and trail ride...endurance or very light Enduro. No one knew the geo's, but we have all been hoping that it turns out to be for 'us'.

Now there is the SB-95, Bandit, 429 Carbon, Satori, LTC, SW SJ FSR, Spearfish, RDO RIP9/Jet9, etc. So many currently available or 'scheduled' tailored options to compete with the once visionary Ripley. By the time this bike comes out there will be several alloy/carbon bikes available in both the new and used market with demos and pro/consumer reviews to guide buyers.

Enough of how badly Ibis has gone about this though, it has been said over and over again. I still have hope that it will be right for me as I will not have the funds for $6k bike until at least mid 2013. Half of that will come from the two bikes it might be replacing replacing so...take your time Ibis

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hrindo View Post
    Our shop has been pimping out Ibis for years. The boss says he still has heard nothing. Thats it, im done waiting (all summer). Just put and order in for the SC Tallboy LTc. ....

I loved my Mojo SL but have been riding the Tallboy carbon for a couple years now - I just love the 29" wheels. I just sold the Mojo because I wasn't riding it that much any more and expected the Ripley by now.

I'm a gnat's hair from doing the same as hrindo, I want to support Ibis and I love their products and customer support but I'm very tired of waiting. I rode the TB LTc at Interbike and loved it.

I'm holding on..... but by the very hair of my chinny chin chin....
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    May 2006

White is better than black

White is cool
    Maverick ML7 Camo
    Niner A9C SS
    Cervelo RS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast