mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Happy with your SL-R

Like the title says, are you happy with your SL-R? What do you like or dislike? What type of trails do you ride? I'm considering getting one but the only thing that bothers me is the head angle. Thoughts on that?

Thanks
    Last edited by firehawk427; 01-20-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Love mine, ride mostly singletrack in SE Michigan but I've taken it to two midwest/eastcoast lift-serviced DH runs without issue (except that I'm a complete wuss). As for the head angle, I use an angleset (broke one but Cane Creek had a new one in the mail the same day) and 150mm fork and am happy with the performance of the bike. Hope that helps!

Greg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Love it! Running a 150mm fork so head angle is 1 degree slacker

It is my do it all bike and perfect for the areas I ride from smooth single tracks to rocky downhills, jumps, drops, technical climbs etc.

Can do my everyday trail riding and enter the odd XC/enduro race as well.

It is super stiff, with my SL before I found I would be deflected off line when the trail got super rough whereas the SLR stays on track.

Only downside is I don't get to ride it as much as I would like. If being really picky the finish could be a bit tidier looking down the seat tube or headset can see bits of excess carbon and the paint is a bit untidy in some areas but you soon forgot all that once you hit the trails.

Sure the HD might be more versatile, but if you want a lightweight trail bike it would be hard to go past a SLR.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am luck enough to own an SLR (140mm fork 69 degree) and an 5.7 carbon pivot (150mm fork 67 degree) the pivot came about as I gave in waiting for the SLR after a years wait but when I cancelled my order as if by magic a bike was found for me. So I know what the difference the head angle makes on such similar bikes, the bike I reach for first is the pivot the much more planted feel of the slacker head angle over rough and steep trails is great. The SLR rides about a pound or so lighter and because of the cross country feel I use it as my trail centre mile eating machine, it can do rough and steep and never fails to leave a smile on my face, and one day I will manage a ride without someone drooling over the bike and asking questions about it. I also have no doubt that with a 150mm fork and maybe (if required) an angle set it would match the pivot trail for trail and I might give this a go but I like the different characters they have and it gives me a great dilemma of what bike do I take. I would try a bike like the pivot with a 67 degree head angle and see if it suits you and your trail, in my case the pivot climbs just as well with no issues so there's no concern there. It may be an SLR with a 150mm fork (which is what you should spec anyway, do not bother with a talas as it is not needed) is enough for you without an angle set, try it and see as an SLR is not a cheap bike so get it right what you like before you buy. On a side note try the lapierre zesty or spicy as well but for me the ibis and pivot were better but spread your search when spending that amount.

flow where ever you go
    LOVE mine....
    VERY stiff, responsive, agile, fun.
    Lands jumps and takes drops like a bigger bike yet climbs like nothing else I've tried.
    I'm running 150mm fork and the -1 degree CC angleset. I guess a 650b up front would give an even slacker HA - but - I don't want to mess with perfection (yet).
    Last edited by noshortcuts; 01-23-2013 at 10:56 PM.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Unfortunately the SL-R does not have very good reviews mainly because of the story of delays in deliveries, lack of quality finish and weight, however it is a great bike, unfortunately undervalued, but again it's a excellent bike with a very high performance , fast.

mtbr member
    I have my SL-R with a 160mm fork on the front. Love it.

Commit or eat sh!t
    So far so good. Climbs well. Descends okay,. I went from 66* Banshee Spitfire to 69* SLR, and the HA doesn't bother me much, but I am using a 70mm stem and wide bars along with a larger than my usual sized frame. I can get it to 68* if I need to with my Revelation fork at 150mm for descents. One negative is that because of the larger size, the seat-tube is a little longer than my liking.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've been really happy with mine. It's fast and light for a 5" trail bike. I have a 140mm Talas fork on it.
    I've owned an Spec Enduro with a 66.5 HA and a Giant Trance Carbon with 68.5 HA. The bike feels almost as stiff as the Enduro and has the climbing ability of the Trance, so best of both worlds for me. Im looking to get a CC Angleset though to drop is down to 67.5 because Im curious. I also put a medium volume reducer in the rear which really helped the rear out.
    Overall, I'm very satisfied with the bike. I usually swap frames every year but this one is going to stay for a while. It's made me a lot faster and gotten me closer to getting KOMs

Rides a Bike
    My only complaint is that I do not have time to ride it more... poop.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Re: Happy with your SL-R

I am very happy with the way the SL-R rides. Regarding the head angle, I love the way it handles, but I admittedly like a very agile and flickable bike. So much so, that I had a U-turn installed in the (Pushed-ed) Revelation I have for it so that I can vary it anywhere between 120 and 150 mm to keep the head angle steep enough to impart the quickness of handling I want for various trail sections; for me, I just think a very responsive quick bike is funner to ride and feels faster. That being said, however, I do plan on trying an AngleSet or AngleWorks to see how I like the combination of a slacker head angle (by 1 degree, probably) and lower bottom bracket. The beauty is that there are options, and in general it seems there are far fewer issues running an AngleSet on this bike than, say, a downhill bike, due to the lighter loads on the headset. Regarding the trails I ride, they do include tight and technical as well as steep rock gardens, etc. I like air, but no major drops or jumps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not enough people chiming in here.

I love my SLR. Have only had it about 6 months. Still making small tweaks. I run it with an angleset at -1 and with a 140 up front. It climbs better than I do. Has a very stiff back end (and I am a big guy), accelerates fast and tolerates out of the saddle pedaling really well.
    On the downhill, it requires a bit more direction and concentration than the HDs I have ridden but is super responsive to side to side movement and is really just a very fun and playful ride. I'm not a very good rider, but the SLR seems to encourage me to try new stuff all the time.
    Oh, and it's been bulletproof.

mtbr member
    To all you guys running anglesets....
    Are you all running straight steerer forks, or is there an angleset option now that will take a tapered steerer?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    To all you guys running anglesets....
    Are you all running straight steerer forks, or is there an angleset option now that will take a tapered steerer?
    I am running the cane creek angleset with a 2013 Fox Float with tapered steerer.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    When you guys got your SL-R, did you buy it as a package as shown on Ibis' website? Or did you build it up (or have it built up) yourself, picking your own components?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am using an AngleSet along with a 2013 model CTD Fox 140 fork. I have no idea if it is a tapered tube or not though. I got it as an XT package from Ibis with the upgrades to an XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur and the AngleSet.

I am quite happy with the bike and the only reason I perhaps should have gone to the Mojo HD is the HD's 27.5" compatibility, but I may make a move to a 29er this year for smoother cruising as I get older and less flexible.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Purchased through my LBS - mostly an Ibis website build. SLX build. Sub: CC angleset, 2013 Fox Float 32 - 140, larger (180) rotors, 80mm stem. Delete: seat post and seat.

Would have loved to custom build but was sans bike and didn't want to wait longer than needed - also figured that SLX is pretty durable so gives me time to decide exactly what I want in the way of upgrades as I go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AaGro View Post
    I am running the cane creek angleset with a 2013 Fox Float with tapered steerer.
    Thanks man... I'd been wondering, and you just saved me 10 minutes of googling

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I run a CC ZS44/EC49 set at -1.5* for with a 140mm Tapered Fork to give me 67.5 HA. It took a little playing with, but I think it set pretty good now. The gimbals can be tricky. Now just need to fix my drivetrain issue.

I built up the bike myself. Got a killer deal on the frame, and swapped over a lot of my parts from my Trance Advance.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Best Bike Ever

Quote Originally Posted by mcgong View Post
    I run a CC ZS44/EC49 set at -1.5* for with a 140mm Tapered Fork to give me 67.5 HA. It took a little playing with, but I think it set pretty good now. The gimbals can be tricky. Now just need to fix my drivetrain issue.

I built up the bike myself. Got a killer deal on the frame, and swapped over a lot of my parts from my Trance Advance.
    I've ridden a lot of Ibis bikes and the SL-R is by far my favorite for everyday rides. This includes agressive enduro type riding. I use the offset reducers to give about .75 degree slacker angle and a 150 fork and it's a blast. Definitely faster on this bike than the HD, but the HD is rad for super tech or dh style riding. If you have 1 bike and ride everything from full on DH to XC than the HD is your move. If you are honest with yourself you know that's probably not the truth and the SLR would be ideal. People always seem to go for longer travel because they think they'll want it "someday", you probably won't and if you will you already know.

6x7=Dont Panic!
    I have been extremely happy with the performance of my SL-R. I am running a custom build with 140mm fork and no angleset. Large frame 70mm stem 711mm bars, 36tx11-34t 1x9 setup, 20mm front hub, f180/r160mm rotors. I use the bike for everything from romping around town to all-mtn riding here in Colorado Springs. I have ridden the bike in Flagstaff, AZ and Miami, FL (Yes, there is good riding in South Florida). It is amazing for techy cross country, climbing and downhill riding. I love how nimble and agile it is and I also love being able to stand and pedal and not bob all over the place. It is extremely stiff and goes where I tell it to. The bike outperforms my abilities and I'm not too shabby a rider. I did a 6 month review here on mtbr and I'm coming close to the 1 yr mark of owning this beast if I haven't already hit it. My only complaint is the finish. The paint isn't up to par with the price... I won't even get into the price of this machine. Can you get a similar ride for less money? Probably. Who cares. The post asks about my satisfaction with the SL-R; not what I feel it compares to. Its a mtn bike though and it is meant to get dirty and scratched and chipped 'else I'll look like a fred. And ibis' customer service is tits!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Happy with your SL-R-me-slr.jpg  

Herro prease

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I may be the one negative response to all this heaping praise on the SLR. I took delivery of my 2013 in in November. I'ts spec'd from Ibis with the SLX build (all I could afford). I have probably 300 miles or so all over Moab, enough to get a feel before forming a solid opinion. Overall it's such a superior bike to what I came from (2009 Giant Trance X4) that it blew me away... stiffer, lighter, handles quicker, suspension is far superior, in every way.

But.... for some reason I just cannot get comfortable on this bike. It just isnt as fun or as comfortable....to me. I could spend 6 hour days on my Trance, any more than an hour or two on the Ibis and ive had enough. LBS has helped me with setup and i've been through stems and bars and spacers on the stem etc... all to no avail. Its so light and climbs so nice I have continually convinced myself I am in love with it. But I cant fake it anymore, I just don't have as much fun on the trail as on my Trance. I have duplicated every dimension from my old trance.... bar height, reach, seat position, ive even swapped my seat and bar/stem from my Giant to the Mojo.... in setup its dimensionally almost identical... but I still haven't found that smile my Trance always brought me. So for me that has been a real bummer. Its such a cool bike.

Anyway, you didnt ask about it compared to a Trance, but for me I have been pretty underwhelmed given what it cost. In the end I think (for me) it boils down to the very different on-the-bike feel of the DW Link vs the in-the-bike feel of the Maestro.

Everyone is right about the paint, very fragile and cheap for such a boutique bike, very disappointing. Also the Formula brakes on the SLX build make so much noise every rider on the trail knows your coming....really annoying. They work well...but I find myself easing off on the rear brake just to minimize the horrible noise which is a stupid choice to to even be making... but they are that loud.

Otherwise it is a very impressive bike and flat out handles, climbs and descends. If the geometry and suspension work for you go for it. Mine is going up for sale.