mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Happy Cane Creek Angleset Users on HD?

You boys with Anglesets, you like 'em? Any creaking problems? After trying different angles was it: "Ok, been there, done that, no I don't need it!"

I've heard mixed reviews on these headsets. And when looking for used headsets, there's a ton of these selling both new and used. Makes one wonder why...
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have one on my HD and love it. I got the one with all 3 cups thinking I might switch between them depending on the kind of riding I'm doing... that was dumb. It's much too hard to switch the angle cup, so in reality I just tired each and picked the one I liked the most. I couldn't even notice the change at .5, I like both the 1 and 1.5 and settled on the 1 degree and plan on just leaving it there for the rest of the time I have the bike (unless I switch forks or something).

I've had no problems at all with creaking or anything other problems. I did add just a little more preload than I normally would and I loaded it up with grease because I read that those two things help prevent the creak/knocking issue...

I do ride in super dry Colorado, and we rarely have problems with headsets around here like people who ride in the wet do.

I bought it new... If I told my wife how much I spent on a headset she'd divorce me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice. So you're HA is about 65? With what fork? Did you also put on a shorter stem to speed up the steering?

The creaking discourages me. I'm in NorCal where it rains in the winter, sometimes heavily.

mtbr member
    stock HD head angle is 67, so he would be at 66. I too heard alot of creaking etc... heck, my headset creaks without an angleset, have to clean it every so often. I decided to just go with a 180mm fork on clearance.. 66* really is the perfect head angle imo for the HD...
    determined to put the "mountain" back in "MOUNTAIN BIKING!!!" "HIT IT!"
    2012 MOJO HDeeeeeeee!!!!
    2010 scott CR1 comp

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    stock HD head angle is 67, so he would be at 66. I too heard alot of creaking etc... heck, my headset creaks without an angleset, have to clean it every so often. I decided to just go with a 180mm fork on clearance.. 66* really is the perfect head angle imo for the HD...
    Yup, I'm running a 160 (lyrik) so that should put me about 66.
    Interesting you mention the 180 fork, before I had the angleset I tried a
    180mm fork, but didn't like the higher bottom bracket (I also run a 160 on
    a mojo sl so I thought it would make sense to go 180 on my HD).
    Now I wonder how it would be with the angleset AND 180 fork.
    With the slacker HA it would help keep the bottom bracket height
    down a little, maybe I would like that... But unfortunately I don't
    have my 180mm fork so I can't try it. Maybe that would just be
    TOO slack, since I guess that would put me around 65. Should have
    tried it before I got rid of my 180mm fork.

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    66 hta with a 180 is fun but feels like it makes the bb monster truck height @ 14 1/4" tall. My angleset(s) have been perfect. Was running the super agro 1.5* cup with a 180 sitting at 64.5 HTA but that was too slack for how little real DH there is in my area and the BB dropped maybe a 1/4". Currently waiting on a 34mm 160 fork to run the 1.0* cup to keep the bb lowish, shed some weight and make it slack. The 1.5* cup is now on my v10c, glad that extra expense for buying the third cup didn't go to waste.
    Last edited by JoeBMX; 07-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    I rode my HD for about 150 miles with my Float 180 and the .5* cup installed to steepen it to 66.5* It did pretty well but I noticed that it was hard to keep the front down while climbing even when I was on the tip of the seat or standing. I just went for my first little ride with my 180 lowered to a 160 and the 1* cup in to slacken it out to 66* It was more of a XC ride but the bike just felt more balanced. I'm anxious to see what it feels like when I take it on my first actual AM ride soon. I lowered my fork because I found I wasn't using all of the travel and I would rather have the lower BB height while still maintaining the 66* HA for aggressive riding. The bike felt really good even for the short ride. So far I like my CC Angleset for having the choice to change my geometry and experiment with lowering the fork. I was getting a knocking sound before but I think its gone now that this was my second time installing it. I too also just preloaded it more than what CC recommends but not a whole lot more. It can be a pain in the arse to install but like anything it should get easier with time. I give it a thumbs up.
    Trust the Dummy....

mtbr member
    any reason not to run a works offset headset? cheaper than the angleset, uses standard cc bearings and nicely machined. i've heard and personally know more than a couple people with anglesets who've had nothing but creaking issues, so bad they've switched to works headsets. i have run a couple works headsets and have been happy. zero creaking and i just picked what i thought i wanted, it's not like it's just a 5 minute job to change the angleset anyways. i went 1.5 degree on my rune and was very happy with it, bought a standard 1-1/8" model 1 degree one for my wife's bike.

just another option because the angleset seems like a crapshoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    any reason not to run a works offset headset? cheaper than the angleset, uses standard cc bearings and nicely machined. i've heard and personally know more than a couple people with anglesets who've had nothing but creaking issues, so bad they've switched to works headsets. i have run a couple works headsets and have been happy. zero creaking and i just picked what i thought i wanted, it's not like it's just a 5 minute job to change the angleset anyways. i went 1.5 degree on my rune and was very happy with it, bought a standard 1-1/8" model 1 degree one for my wife's bike.

just another option because the angleset seems like a crapshoot
    The Works HS won't fit the short 3.7" headtube on the small frames. Otherwise, I'd have gone that route too. Thanks for the idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i'm running a -1* angleset in a HD with 160mm tapered steerer
    external top and bottom

because of the relatively short head tube is actually knocks off about 1.2*

either way, it's the best upgrade i've made, slckens it off, lowers the bb, extends the front wheelbase and steepens the seat tube (in reality it's an un-noticeable ammount)

no creeking, love it

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Torwood brings up a good point by mentioning the exact angleset headset he used... There are several options with the HD and straight vs tapered forks.
    I'm personally using a little older straight 1 1/8 lyrik with the ZS44/28 upper, ZS49/30 lower. I have no idea at all if the knocking thing might be more or less common with the tapered EC44/28.6 upper, EC49/40 lower. Or there is even another way to do it if you have a straight steerer, you can use the tapered headset combo (EC44/28.6 upper, EC49/40 lower) and use a "Cane Creek Conversion Crown Race" with your straight steerer fork.

Again, I have no idea if any of these combos is more or less likely to end up with knock, but its worth mentioning when talking about good or bad luck that we've had.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've installed some AngleSets with excentric upper cup and others with excentric lower cup on HDs. No one is creaking, even after 6 months of water, mud and dirt... you just have to grease the gimbals properly on the first installation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    HD with -1 Angleset and 140-180mm Talas. 67 for climbing and 65 for downhill.

Amigos | Facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool. The option to change angles is very nice. Sounds like its all about the installation to make it creak free.

I've got a small frame and a 170mm fork (Van 36). Things get a bit tight on the smalls. I couldn't use an internal/zero stack headset so using external cup adds another 10mm of height to the front end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My LBS tells me they've installed at least 6 anglesets on HD's and SLRs, and not one of them is creaking. Many people have had creaks, but between Cane Creek making refinements to the product, and good installations, it seems like a safe bet. EXCITING that we have "so many bikes" within one bike, huh?

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    I guess I'll play devil's advocate. Seem that everyone else is having a good experience with their angleset.

For the record, I hate mine. I think they're crap. I set mine up last fall and ran it for a few blissful months of no creaking and smooth steering. Things have changed since then. I began getting a creak some time last spring. Since then, I've taken the thing apart several times, greased the gimbals, increased the preload, etc. I can typically get the creaking to go away for about 2 rides, but it always comes back. I think the design is crap.

I'm planning to go to a standard headset in the very near future. I'll take a smooth steering bike over a slightly slacker one any day of the week.

Sorry for the negativity. I'm glad some of you have had success. For me it's been a major PITA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    I guess I'll play devil's advocate. Seem that everyone else is having a good experience with their angleset.

For the record, I hate mine. I think they're crap. I set mine up last fall and ran it for a few blissful months of no creaking and smooth steering. Things have changed since then. I began getting a creak some time last spring. Since then, I've taken the thing apart several times, greased the gimbals, increased the preload, etc. I can typically get the creaking to go away for about 2 rides, but it always comes back. I think the design is crap.

I'm planning to go to a standard headset in the very near future. I'll take a smooth steering bike over a slightly slacker one any day of the week.

Sorry for the negativity. I'm glad some of you have had success. For me it's been a major PITA.
    Did you call CC and ask for their guidance? When I talked with a CC tech, he said to be sure and grease the parts.

This is the "mixed" of the reviews out there, the incessant creaking issue. And he even reassembled and loaded grease several times. That sucks to have creaking. It seems like these headsets are YMMV. This happens on all brands of frames too.

Oh well. We'll see for me as I just bought one and will install today

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    Bumping this.

I now hate my angleset. It was running good for a couple months, but now it's a pos. After a couple hours of cleaning, greasing, reinstalling, finding out its still knocking, taking apart cleaning, greasing, etc etc, I rage quit and have ordered a new non-angle changing headset.

**** this thing.
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    Bumping this.

I now hate my angleset. It was running good for a couple months, but now it's a pos. After a couple hours of cleaning, greasing, reinstalling, finding out its still knocking, taking apart cleaning, greasing, etc etc, I rage quit and have ordered a new non-angle changing headset.

**** this thing.
    Once I got mine to stop knocking I was always worried about how much it would be a PITA to get it to stop knocking if I had to mess with my headset. It worked great once you got it installed correctly. If you want to mess with it more try anti-seize. That worked better than grease to get it to stop knocking.

I sold it a while back though and picked up a Works Components -1.5 headset for a tapered steerer ( CC doesn't offer). No gimbals and installation was as easy as a normal headset. I never have to worry about that dreaded knock again.

Off the back...
    Mine knocked a bit on rough rides, so I'd tighten it and the knock would go away. Came back a month later , tightened it again. That was it. Knock free for 18 months. The design is sound, but it needs to be tite yo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBMX View Post
    Bumping this.

**** this thing.
    The one I had on my Uzzi was totally trouble-free and never made a noise but not the case with the one that i got with my Mojo HD. Thought maybe it had something to do with the tapered headtube/tapered steerer combo of my Ibis vs. the full 1.5 headtube/tapered steerer combo on my Intense. The knocking and creaking wouldn't stop no matter how much grease I used, how carefully I seated the gimbals, or how much i tightened it down.

Cane Creek even sent me a new angleset for free that was supposedly slightly re-designed but it had the same issues. I hate it when my bike makes noises and this headset drove me crazy.

Got a Works Components -1 degree and it's silent.