mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Hans Dampf 2.35 on an HD

Have heard that the Hans Dampf comes up quite big. Is there enough clearance in the back to run it without clogging up with mud? Bear in mind I mean proper full on Scottish mud, not So Cals idea of mud!

mtbr member
    I don't know what real mud is being in Socal, but not a ton of space while running the HD in the rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cheers, that's what I feared. Might just get one for the front.

Lightly salted
    Hans dampf will fit in the rear but is tight. It also rubs the inner chainstay on hard turns, but the flex is coming from my rear crossmax sx wheel not the chainstay. I don't really have a problem with mud, but I only have wimpy NorCal mud. Might not work if you got thick or clay mud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fuenstock View Post
    Hans dampf will fit in the rear but is tight. It also rubs the inner chainstay on hard turns, but the flex is coming from my rear crossmax sx wheel not the chainstay. I don't really have a problem with mud, but I only have wimpy NorCal mud. Might not work if you got thick or clay mud.
    I don't get rub with Stans EX wheels but mud clearance isn't great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No issues with rub at all on a Flow but it packed up quick with a clay mud the one time I tried it. Was basically unusable in those conditions. I like it as a rear in wet, non clay mud conditions but prefer the Spesh Butcher as a front.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Wow I have an HD coming and am blown away a 2.35 tire doesn't fit well. I was planning on running Hans Dampf's or my 2.4 Trail Kings. There is loads of room on my Chilcotin for either of those. Seems Ibis and Pivot need to offer a little more clearance on their bikes ?

Lightly salted
    I still run the Hans dampf rear even though its tight. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Hans d rear, it just doesn't have good mud clearance. I been using it as a rear on my HD for over a year and will continue to use it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No issue with any of my rear tires (Minions, Butchers, Hans Dampfs ... etc) in anything except serious mud (OP's question).

Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Wow I have an HD coming and am blown away a 2.35 tire doesn't fit well. I was planning on running Hans Dampf's or my 2.4 Trail Kings. There is loads of room on my Chilcotin for either of those. Seems Ibis and Pivot need to offer a little more clearance on their bikes ?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

It's the axle
    I'm running the Hans Dampfs on my mojo without any problem. The clearance is not even close. Appox. 1/4" each side.
    Note to self: 85% of FTP for 20 min.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm running this tire on my HD and it can fit a little tight but I've had no problems with mud so far. I ride in the Pacific Northwest so the bike sees a lot of mud.

mtbr member
    the clearance issue is on bottom-out (if you're not running flexy wheels). Shim the air can to avoid harsh bottoms, and you should be fine. If you have super sticky clay mud well than it doesn't matter what tire you have you're gonna have clearance issues. If its less sticky mud you will be fine. I'm running 2.5 Minions front and rear in norcal mud and its fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have no clearance probs with the Hans Dampf on my HD. And mine is a 2011. They are great tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the replies. Mud round here is not clay, there's just lots of it. Unfortunately it's interspersed with rocky sections and roots so mud spikes are not much use and although I like Bonty Mud X on my 29er they're a bit narrow for the HD. Might get a Hans for the front anyway and fit it to the rear as a trial before splashing the cash on 2. Bottoming out should not be a problem as I run a CCDB air.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    FYI I found the best deal on HD's from this site - Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar 2,35" TL-Ready Faltreifen

They were selling them as a set a couple of months ago, ended up being $92 CDN to my door...cheers!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Second for bike-discount. They are cheaper than US cost...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In the UK we get all kinds of proper mud, gave up trying to get HD to fit in the rear of my SL so bought a 2.3 Conti Baron, black chilli. It's a perfect match for the HD on the front, rolls very well and the grip is phenomenal.

Mtb Guide
    Different rims are probably more the cause of why some fits are tighter than others, I run Maxxis tires but everyone thinks they look like 2.4s on the Enve rims, just a 2.25 upfront 2.2 in the rear.

Just run an Ardent 2.25, great for anything on any rim
    Edit:
    EXC/EXO compound.

mtbr member
    I've had Maxxis tires roll of flow rims which is why I want to run Hans dampfs or 2.4 trail kings. My local trails get muddy but not crazily so. I guess I am just surprised that with a 160mm bike some people are experiencing issues with an all mountain tire. However I suppose instead of speculating I can just try - but would rather not shell out on a tire that rubs - even on bottom out.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I've had Maxxis tires roll of flow rims which is why I want to run Hans dampfs or 2.4 trail kings. My local trails get muddy but not crazily so. I guess I am just surprised that with a 160mm bike some people are experiencing issues with an all mountain tire. However I suppose instead of speculating I can just try - but would rather not shell out on a tire that rubs - even on bottom out.
    Very general critisisim, any tire brand in the wrong setting can roll off a rim.

Reasons tires roll of rims is due often to wrong tire used for wrong application.

Wrong rim = too narrow a rim to support a non std UST tire, std beads need an even wider rim if riding hard.

Not using UST tires, thick wall or wire beads can help if non UST

People wanting cake and eat it too, you cant have light fast and a supportive tire that is non UST and it to behave like a UST or a tubed tire for side wall support, that will can never happen, those things dont go together more so on a narrow XC rim.

Flow rims then I'd really like to know what Maxxis tires you were using.

Lust will not roll off, if so the Its user error jra.

Std kev bead on a light wall Maxxis no doubt but that would go for a Nobby Nic, Rocket Ron, Racing Ralph, all tires Ive used, Butchers and or Purgatory would be another option, Butch up front 2.3 Purg 2.3 rear.

Other tire you should look at for wet, maybe Lust Ignitors esspecially rear, 2.35 HR front is pretty hard to combo to beat in mid wet conditions.

Even Lust Medusa is an awesome tire still fast like a mini me wet-scream.
    or
    Find some 2.3 Swampthings in single ply (CRC) they are still some of my favs for wet conditions but not full wet or full muds.

I did a season ln Specchy Hillbilllys in DH 2.3s quite narrow like the swampthings smaller than a 2.3 HR or Minion but fast and grippy as hell.

Dont under-estimate the grip of a Lust Larsen either 2.35 rear combined with an HR front or Minion super effective and fast reliable combo.

That said Im not anti Hans Damf, looks a great tire esspecially for the front.

But if anyone is looking for speed weight support then do it right regardless of brand.

UST combined with a proper rim for the riding you do and you should never roll a tire.

Ive DH AMed UST for 10years on various combos above only once have I rolled a tire and that was as described above and being a bigger heavier guy that corners hard whips and lands sideways alot thats why, light weight tires burp fold squirm then shake rattle and roll.

Ps cavet, I do not work for nor am I sponsored by Maxxis

Tire choices are about experimentation you got to try yourself be prepared to fail to succeed

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good call on Bike-Discount, I just ordered 2 Hans and an XTR chain to my door, $134.00 shipped...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    just mounted up/trying out my 2.4 big betty which is bigger than the the HD, it clears, but looks like will have some rub, maybe bottom out problem. Going to try it out on a ride and go from there

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    My 2.35 Hans are mounted up with plenty of rear clearance, at least 1/3 - 1/2 of an inch all around. They look fantastic, pics of my build are in the HD build thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can someone please post a pic of their rear triangle with the Hans Dampf installed? I'm curious how much room there is with the 26" Hans Dampf 2.35 vs my 650b Nevegal 2.35...thanks!
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat