Grams Light Bikes

handlebar and stem survey

I was wondering what handlebars and what stem people have on their Mojo's. I was especially interested what sizing you went with on the stem.

I just switched from straight bars to the Easton Monkeylight SL. I currently have the Thomson stem at 10 degree x 110mm. With the new sweep of the low raise bars it seems that the reach to the bars is a bit closer now. I can't really test due to the massive amount of snow around Colorado currently and I wanted to make sure I have a good length in the seat/stem/handlebar topology.

Thanks.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet

I just switched from straight bars to the Easton Monkeylight SL. I currently have the Thomson stem at 10 degree x 110mm. With the new sweep of the low raise bars it seems that the reach to the bars is a bit closer now.
    At 6'1", I'm on a large Mojo, straight seatpost, seat rails on center, using the SX build OEM Ibis 7degree x 90mm stem and Ibis 1.5 riser, with about 1.5 inch of spacers under the stem to top of head tube. Bars are about seat height. I have to climb a lot where I live in Marin to ride any distance.

You should try what you have first. The bike climbs very easily without reaching far forward, just bend your elbos a little more when it gets really steep.

A longer reach than you have there slows handling and ability to ride rough terrain as easily.

Also keep your bars wide and uncut for best stability, handling, and bar pulling power when standing and pedaling.

Narrow low forward bars are fine if you just will be riding smooth and easy trails.
    Last edited by derby; 01-03-2007 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member

Derby, did you try the plumb line with your setup?

I am also fiddling with my position and am 6'1" on a large. When my seat is in the middle i am several cent. in front of the crank w/ a plumb line off the knee so I haven't ridden it like that, but was wondering how you felt the balancing was compared to having it "correct" with the plumb line. I have a stock 120mm stem and will probably buy a 105 or 110.

Thanks,
    Ecibis

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    I am also fiddling with my position and am 6'1" on a large. When my seat is in the middle i am several cent. in front of the crank w/ a plumb line off the knee so I haven't ridden it like that, but was wondering how you felt the balancing was compared to having it "correct" with the plumb line. I have a stock 120mm stem and will probably buy a 105 or 110.

Thanks,
    Ecibis
    I've always fit a bike by feel. But I just measured the plumb off the front of my knee with crank horizontal, and it was very close to on-center of the pedal spindle.

I have a long torso and short legs with 31-inch inseam for my 6'1 height. With my centered seat position may be more forward than a more average or long legged short torso rider my height. I'd be at least 20 pounds lighter if I was normal torso to leg length in proportion! My body dimension was not built to climb. I need all the help I can get for efficient easy climbing bike fit. Quality-climbing suspension is most important to me. I've demoed most of the current suspension designs and the Mojo stands out as the easiest to climb (and do everything else great too).

Id suggest setting seat fit from what was comfortable on your previous bike. If the Mojo is longer in travel than your previous bike then adjust reach closer and higher for the added brake dive.

Keep Riding !!
    I'm looking at getting a Mojo after having a ride of Elvis's green machine the other day.

However I'm not sure what size I should get. I'm just under 6'2" with a 34" inseam, my LBS suggests a XLarge but I think this will be 2 big as another post has a guy 6'4" on a Large frame.
    I suspect that I may be 'between frame sizes' i.e. a Large with a setback post & say 110 stem or a Xlarge with straight post and say 80-90 stem

Any advise would be welcome

ps: Current bike is a RM ETSX 19.5"
    Just Ride !

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Handlebar and stem.

I'm 5'9" I ride a medium mojo with a Thomson X4 100mm with a zero rise. As for the handle bar I really like the Specialized carbon bar, it is 25 1/2" long with a 1 1/2" rise 8 degree sweep. This combination fits me really well.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieRider
    I'm looking at getting a Mojo after having a ride of Elvis's green machine the other day.

However I'm not sure what size I should get. I'm just under 6'2" with a 34" inseam, my LBS suggests a XLarge but I think this will be 2 big as another post has a guy 6'4" on a Large frame.
    I suspect that I may be 'between frame sizes' i.e. a Large with a setback post & say 110 stem or a Xlarge with straight post and say 80-90 stem

The ETSX fits very similar to the Mojo. The frame and stay dimensions and angles are nearly the same according to the RM web 19 inch size specs.

If you are very comfortable on your RM you be also on a large new Mojo. The XL isn't much bigger, and you could more easily use a quicker more stable handling shorter stem.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Having it Large (as they say in England)

Quote Originally Posted by AussieRider

I'm also 6'1" and have just got my Large SX. The seat post is not all the way up and it feels comfortable, but I haven't covered any km's yet as the Perth weather has been a little damp. Elvis@Dirtworks is a similar size and has a Large.

Kev.

Keep Riding !!
    Thanks for the advice guys

I've decided on the Xlarge with Zero post and shorter stem (exact size to be decided)

Reasons:

Advice of LBS says that I would be more 'centered' in the 'cockpit' which will improve handling also with shorter stem. Have ridden with LBS guy and has seen my riding 'style' (no style at all really )

Xlarge is only 20mm longer in TT which will easily be accomodated with zero post & shorter stem

Only Xlarge is in stock and can't wait for next shipment for a large this way I get to ride the new bike in 3 days

Now I really can't wait

I'll post build & pics in due time
    Just Ride !

mtbr member

Thanks for the advice...

Quote Originally Posted by derby
    I've always fit a bike by feel. But I just measured the plumb off the front of my knee with crank horizontal, and it was very close to on-center of the pedal spindle.

I have a long torso and short legs with 31-inch inseam for my 6'1 height. With my centered seat position may be more forward than a more average or long legged short torso rider my height. I'd be at least 20 pounds lighter if I was normal torso to leg length in proportion! My body dimension was not built to climb. I need all the help I can get for efficient easy climbing bike fit. Quality-climbing suspension is most important to me. I've demoed most of the current suspension designs and the Mojo stands out as the easiest to climb (and do everything else great too).

Id suggest setting seat fit from what was comfortable on your previous bike. If the Mojo is longer in travel than your previous bike then adjust reach closer and higher for the added brake dive.
    Thanks for the advice, I am coming off a steel mojo that is a bit small for me w/ a 110mm stem, flat bar and seat all the way back. The new L mojo feels great, but it's so different in handling than what I am used to, it's hard to figure out what the best feel is. For starters I need to remove a couple spacers under the stem and get a 100 or 110 length. That will place the bar high (compared to my old flat bar), my knee/ spindle line will be at a good starting point, and on the technical rocky descents I'll be able to get behind the seat better.....

Grams Light Bikes
    There is a nice article in the latest Mountain Bike Action in which they have 4 mountain bikes (Santa Cruz Blur) outfitted exactly the same except each is outfitted with different length stems, they were 70, 100, 120 and 130 (Race Face Deus XC 6 degree rise)). They had a small test track they used to get a feel for how each stem performed. They felt that the 100 worked the best, although they were surprised how well they liked the stubby 70mm. They had the seat set dead center on a zero offset post.

Until the snow goes away in the next eon I will just be playing around with Ti bolts and being a weight weenie. I will stick with my KCNC Ti Pro zero offset seatpost, the Easton Monkeylight SL bars and the KCNC Sc Wing 5 degree x 110mm and see how they work.

Brian "Gram"