mtbr member

Hakkalugi Disk BB/Crank Question

The Hakkalugi takes a BB86 pressfit bottom bracket. That's terrific if you want to run a hollowtech-type road crank.

But what happens if you want to run an MTB crank, like an XT or XTR double? Is there a way to do this, or do you have to stick with road cranks? Since the bike uses 135 spacing, seems like it would be nice to have the option of running an MTB crank.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but the explosion of new BB "standards" hasn't made it easy to stay up to date.

mtbr member
    Why do you want to do that?

aka dan51
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    If I get one I'd run MTB cranks as well. Road type cranks have a narrower width, and it kills my left knee. I can take the same bike and just swap cranks and knee pain goes away. Sold my road bike and built up a rigid MTB with 700x25c wheels for road rides and commuting. OP may not have the same problem, but that's why I would run MTB cranks.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    don't see why you couldn't. all our giants are bb86, both road and mountain. you just need the right bb, the cranks fit fine
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

mtbr member
    IT band problems are often aggravated by running low-q road cranks--that's my main issue.

But but beyond that, I would be using this bike not for CX racing, but long, climby, mixed-surface rides from the front door. MTB gearing works really well for this type of riding, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Ah, got ya. If you can't use mtn.cranks, a compact (50/34) with a big ass mtn.cassette and mtn. rear der. should work.
    You should ask Competitive Cyclist or Scot Nicol before you buy anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D_Man View Post
    The Hakkalugi takes a BB86 pressfit bottom bracket. That's terrific if you want to run a hollowtech-type road crank.

But what happens if you want to run an MTB crank, like an XT or XTR double? Is there a way to do this, or do you have to stick with road cranks? Since the bike uses 135 spacing, seems like it would be nice to have the option of running an MTB crank.

Sorry if this is an ignorant question, but the explosion of new BB "standards" hasn't made it easy to stay up to date.
    Hey D_Man,

I asked Colin (Ibis engineer extraordinaire) about his thoughts on this...

The current road BB standard is only 86mm wide where as the mountain is 91.5mm. To use a mountain bike crank you would need to use a mountain bike BB and put a 2.5mm BB spacer on the non drive side and two 2.5mm spacers on the drive side. However the press depth of a BB cup is only about 9 mm so with 5mm worth of spacers on the drive side the cup would only be pressed in 4mm.Because the BB is only pressed in 4mm, I'm not sure how long that would last.

I hope this helps,

Best, Todd
    Todd
    Ibis Cycles, Inc.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response, Todd. That's really helpful.

I know you guys are just coming out with this bike—and it really looks like you've knocked it out of the park—so a revision is probably not in the cards any time soon. But if you are filing customer feedback away somewhere, I'd note that one of the coolest things about this bike is that its geometry and tire clearance make it suitable for not only CX racing, but gravel grinding, mixed-surface exploring, and even mellow single track. When you've got a bike suited to so many things, and which has disk brakes and 135mm rear spacing, it makes a lot of sense to pick a BB standard that allows for a variety of drive train setups. BB30 or a traditional threaded BB would both give the customer a lot more freedom in the drivetrain department.

On the bright side, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the Ripley. I'll be getting a new MTB in 2013, and that one is currently at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    If you still want a uber high end carbon disc cross bike check out the Cannondale Super X. You can put on a Hollowgram crank and use road, cross or mtn. size chainrings.

aka dan51
    Damn, that's a bummer
    Lugi disk is off my list of candidates now

D_man, thanks for posting the question.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    You could simply use a road triple, a 30 chainring - 36 cog would have to be low as you need to go.
    Our Shops in Fort Collins and Boulder www.fullcyclebikes.com -- doing the mountainbike thing since '82

Kaj
    mtbr member
    If you still want disc cross bike check out the Cannondale Super X. .
    Ummm, I don't think a Cannondale, while a nice bike, is really a replacement for an Ibis

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm not understanding the issue apparently. Sounds like Todd is suggesting the spacers go behind the bearings and push them out from the frame. Wouldn't the spacers go outboard of the bearings, and thus not affect the BB insertion depth at all?

That's how mine (PFBB30/Hollowgram cranks on a Moots) are set up, at any rate, and I can't see it making any sense to do otherwise. I'm eyeing the new `Lugi and, if it's the one I choose, intend to use a XD-15 BB and Hollowgrams unless it's proven not to work.