Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever

I''m finally finished building my new one_bike_to replace_them_all_bike. Pictures is worth a thousand words: Ibis Hakkalügi Disc - a set on Flickr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-052.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-049.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-050.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-051.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-047.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-046.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-045.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-044.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-043.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-ibis_hakkalugi_disc-042.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Beautiful! This is the best looking CX bike ever made easily

Too Much Fun
    Smokin' hot. I love my OG Hakka. Rides like a dream, so versatile.

Sold my road bike mostly because I was doing so much road work on the Hakka.
    - -benja- -

Mtb Guide
    Very sweet

Want.

mtbr member
    Yes, want.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have been riding the crap out of mine and have been loving it! It just eats up dirt roads and smooth single track.

aka dan51
    Been wanting one of those for years. Beautiful bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for sharing, it's an awesome bike. I've been thinking of replacing my road bike with one and now I am convinced.
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

mtbr member

I like everything about those except that the bb86 limits you to road crank setups. Very sweet looking build though!

mtbr member

Beautiful. Even if I never really understood the appeal of CX.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Disc brake recall

I see you don't have Shimano brakes but if you do they have been recalled.

Shimano announces voluntary disc caliper recall - VeloNews.com

My shop is in the middle of swapping them out for a new set.

meh
    loving mine too, replaced my road bike with it, running it with 28c road tires currently...9/10mm thru axles and x9/force components make for a bomb proof ride at around 16.5 lbs

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-1.jpg
    Last edited by clewttu; 09-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is the thru-axle new for 2014? I got my Lugi disc in 2013 and it has standard quick releases. Also what's up with your seat?

Dropshot Champ!
    that seat has to be a troll post.

meh
    haha, never noticed my seat was like that till i took the photos, though its been comfortable....need to check that out today
    the thru axles are just 9mm/10mm, fits standard dropouts
    Name:  BPC152458.jpg
Views: 1383
Size:  7.8 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    @mitch66 this is an amazing build - congrats. I am planning a similar build myself, and am looking at the rear tire clearance in one of your pics. Can I ask what size tire this is - would like to be able to fit a 700x35 studded tire for some winter fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have put 700x37 on mine successfully.
    H

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Dirt Loving Hakkalugi

Loving my Lugi Disc and thought I should share some pics. I have been riding some of my local mtb trails and have been loving it. Climbing is great, crushing some Strava KOMs, it is like cheating. Ok, it is cheating Disc brakes make a world of difference for me on the trail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5072.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5048.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5064.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5065.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5066.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5067.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5071.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5036.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5042.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5070.jpg  

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-dscn5077.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Hans- 37mm measured? On what rims?

My only gripe with my Lugi disc is the lack of rear tire clearance due to the asymmetrical chain stay yolk, a real oversight by the Ibis engineers/designers IMO. By choosing to run a road width bb I assume the shell is too narrow to bulge at the tread location. But IMO it's the only negative with the bike. (Not Ibis bashing...I've owned a Mojo Sl and back in the day a Mojo ?? with the moron tubing- I'm a fan.). This bike truly would be a "quiver killer" if you could run up to a 1.8's on the rear. I've tried Ritchey's WCS Shield 35 on the stock Iron Cross rims that Ibis ships this with and it rubs the side of the chain-stay yolk. The Spesh Terra 33's don't have enough volume for the rougher gravel and trails I ride (weak sidewalls for gravel also) and I'm unwilling to spend the $$ running the experiment on what fits. Hans- what 37 widths are you running and on what rims?
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    I have put 700x37 on mine successfully.
    H
    Last edited by Yerma; 11-04-2013 at 09:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I am running a Michelin Mud 2 tubeless on a Stans Crest 29er rim. Though the Mud 2 sidewall says 700x30, they always measure much bigger. On the wider Crest rim, mine measure 36.5 mm wide. I have enough clearance and don't rub anywhere. I probably have about 3mm clearance on each side down by the BB. I will post some pictures later.

Check to make sure the rear wheel is in dish. I know it's a factory built wheel and it should be dished properly, but crazier things have happened. If you have a different rim you can try that tire on to make sure it fits, that may be an option to determine if the rim is out of dish. Also, you can put a caliper on the tire when it's inflated. Even though it says 35mm on the sidewall, it may actually measure bigger which may be the reason for the rubbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks- The rim width obviously has an effect on tire width and most cross tires are larger than the stated width when run on wider mtb rims. I posted a request on this forum (or RBR can't remember) for Lugi disc owners to chime in with tire/rim combos that fit but no response. The real issue is that the bike is simply not designed for anything over (actual width- not stated) 38mm. If you look at the chain stay yolk you'll see it's not a symmetrical U shape. On the drive side (non drive side- can't remember) the arc is flatter reducing the width. I checked 2 others and it's the same, so it's not a mistake in the carbon layup on mine. I did some investigating when trying to run a larger rear tire on the Iron Cross rims. The wheel is correctly dished. However one of the two small screws for the derailleur hanger was not flush. The screw holes were not properly chased and the paint prevented the screw from countersinking so the wheel sat slightly askew. When fixed the problem remains that there is less clearance on the non drive side. I understand that this bike was designed as a race bike, but as I stated I think it was a mistake by the Ibis engineers/designer to limit the clearance to 38mm actual width tread. I know a new rear triangle is in the works to accommodate Shimano 11. If they increase the max tire width I'm going to be bummed! On the Michelin Muds- have you run them on a lot of gravel? How are the sidewalls for toughness?
    Last edited by Yerma; 11-06-2013 at 07:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Actually, I guess the Mud 2s measure about 37 mm wide (maybe 36.5 on a different part of the tire). I ride mine on gravel. I've done Gravel Worlds a couple times with them. It depends on what kind of gravel you have. Here we have mostly pea gravel but also have sections of chunky white rock that can be pretty rough. I've never had any sidewall issues with these tires. It probably depends on the type of gravel you have in your area though. I wouldn't run these at Dirty Kanzaa with all the flint on those roads, for instance.

I've attached a couple pics for your reference. It's hard to tell the bottom clearance on the chainstay yoke, but it's about 3mm on both the drive and non-drive sides.

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-img_20131104_072438.jpg
    Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-img_20131104_072534.jpg
    Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-img_20131104_073057.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the info and pics. I'll check the tire width tonight. The gravel roads in western NC are mainly sharp granite, 1" +with some large 3" +- diameter chucks thrown in for good measure. At speed I've had these puncture the sidewalls. Some Stan's and glitter got me back to the car but I'd love to find a tougher sidewall in a tubeless ready tire. My rides are often a mix of single track with hardback, thin mud and roots and gravel roads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi Yerma,

A few more pics in the daylight where you can get a better feel for the drive side clearance I have with a 37mm tire.

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-img_20131104_113108.jpg

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-img_20131104_113154.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The Hakkalugi disc is a great bike, but I have a couple suggestions that I think would make it even better in its next iteration...

The lower rear brake cable guide on the seat could be more centrally located on the seat stay. I know SRAM et al hadn't come out with their hydro brakes yet, but they put the hydro line towards the mid-line of the bike, rather than the outside. This causes a significant bend in the line if you want to use that guide. I noticed Mitch66 on the top of this thread just bypassed the lower guide.

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-img_20131104_113214.jpg

The top tube could use another brake cable guide in the middle of the two that are already there. When riding over rough, I was getting some cable noise. I got a Jagwire stick on cable guide and installed that in the middle. All quiet now!

Hakkalügi Disc, my best bike ever-img_20131104_113227.jpg

The small allen bolt that ties down the cables on the seatstay wishbone has pretty fine threads. Mine started to strip out the first time I secured my cables (and I barely snugged it down at all). When I installed hydro brakes and had to remove and re-tighten this bolt it was finished. I tapped mine out to the next larger size (M6 x 0.8 I think) and used a water bottle bolt. It is much more robust now.

Other than that, great rig. I love the ride, handling, and fit of the bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast