mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Had Fox fork/shock Pushed, need suggestion

When I got my rig 2 years ago, after some seattime, I shipped the fork and shock off and had them both Push'd. Shock is great, still don't like the Fox 32 Float.

I'm 42 y/o, and when I used to ride hard, it was 10 years ago on a hardtail with a Marzocchi Atom Bomb. That fork was PLUSH (at least in its day), and that's what I'm looking for in a modern longer travel version. I would like something more sensitive to small bumps, and simply more plush. I'll give up efficiency for a softer riding fork.

Any suggestions that would be a good match for the Mojo?

mtbr member

Revelation

I traded my 08 Fox 32 for a Pike (dual air) and have never looked back. I hear the 2010 Revelations are just as nice. There simply is no comparison between the plushness of the Pike compared to the Fox. I have a friend who cut the rod on his float and it worked much better after that. I just wasn't in to performing that kind of surgery. When I sold the Float and bought the Pike, I actually made money on the deal (I already had a convertible front hub--Hope Pro II).

aka dan51
    Anything with a coil spring instead of an air spring.
    Vanilla, Pike, Lyrik...
    The Pike and Lyrik are adjustable travel coils, while the Vanilla is fixed and is not internally adjustable either. I have a Lyrik on mine and highly recommend it for its plushness. It will add about 2-3lbs to your bike though.
    Those who know, ride a Mojo AND a Mojo HD.
    Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by benja55
    Ok, whatever, cold water on my bike boner right there.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Another +1 for the Coil Lyrik for Mojo

mtbr member
    I've been through the same issue after coming off early 2000's Marz coil forks. I got better performance for my 165 lb ride weight when I switched to lighter weight oil in my 08 Float.... but it's still no match to the plushness of the pushed rp23/mojo rear.... after reading all the threads, I'm planning on replacing it with a Revelation 150.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got a fox float 36 and it just isn't that plush on the small stuff, even after being pushed. Kind of bummed about that, but I'm hoping I'll be able to tune it a bit once I can get out on the trails again.

I have a 100mm manitou MRD which I like a lot. Has a platform adjuster which works well, and its pretty plush. I hear good things about the same fork in a longer versions too.

I'd have to give the nod to my '02 van 125 as best small bump fork so far. The manitou is a close second though!
    Last edited by Ansible; 03-08-2010 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, responses so far are pretty helpful. I'm no longer a hammerhead and my racing days are over, and I find that the small bump compliance of a plush fork helps with a lot of the babyhead rocks and stuff when grinding up a hill. The current fork wants to bounce around a bit no matter what I do to pressure or fiddling with knobs. I guess there's no substitute for a coil/oil fork with good valving.

mtbr member
    Go with a coil, or a brand new expensive float 150 or a revelation 150

www.derbyrims.com
    Have you changed the oil in the Fox in the last 4 to 6 months? If not it needs it, and could be much of the issue with small bump smoothness.

Also I think you can convert a Float to coil with out much cost, call Fox, I think its just top cap and coil. This will certainly bring improved small bump and reduced dive and wallow using less damping.

If you do change forks, on my Mojo I've had a ('06 OEM) Float-RL 140/32 (junk, but could be converted to RLC and coil), a Pushed Vanilla 140/32 (excellent damping but very flexy), two Nixon coils (too much top out and small bump stiction but very good higher ride speed damping), a Pushed Pike ( very good, especially after reducing the oil viscous weight, Push has since improved their damping mods), and my favorite by far is my current Lyrik coil u-turn (excellent damping and small bump smoothness, plush, and ability to raise or lower from normal 140mm with micro adjustments for ideal handling for a wide variety of conditions).

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I had a 140 Float, did the air chamber mod & tried to getting working for a full season - was still terrible - junk.I'm in the same boat as you, looking for something plush & that gets full travel. The fork you want is the DT Swiss EXC 150, I've got a full season on mine & its amazing.Very plush on roots & rocks, gets full travel, not as flexy as the float [ get the 15 TA] Launch control works great for reduced travel,lighter than a 140 Float.