Slothful dirt hippie

Guess what I'm getting for Valentines?

I'd test rode a Blur LT, a Trance X, and a Mojo last weekend... the Trance was a really nice ride but the Ibis just 'sang' a little sweeter... something about the steering being a little crisper like the more XC bikes I'm used to? The Blur LT was nice enough but frankly seemed overpriced compared to the ride I was getting out of the other two.

Husband announced this morning that he was driving back down to where I'd test rode last weekend (a 400 mile round trip) to see if he could pick me up the Ibis SLX build they had on sale. Got a call from him this afternoon to run over pedals and tires, but he's on his way home with my new baby.

I think he's just scored an entire year's worth of 'brownie points'....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Congrats! Post some pix of your new baby when he gets back!

aka übermensch
    Sweet!
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    congratulations!!! Post some pictures when you get a chance. What color?

Slothful dirt hippie

Probably gonna wait a bit until we ride again- things are melting out earlier than usual in the PNW thanks to El Nino, but it's still pretty mucky. The clay around here isn't nice to play in.

KevinK
    Jul 2005
    Very Nice. Congratulations!!! The Fun times await!!!

Slothful dirt hippie
    She has a name.... it's Sloe, aka "Sloie", from that song Jack White and Loretta Lynn did together. I figured it fit well since we clearly lost our minds in Portland (including test riding all those bikes down a good sized set of stairs), which lead to her purchase. Not to mention the fact that while the bike is upgraded, the motor is not, and I'm probably going to go the same Sloe speed as always.

aka übermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    She has a name.... it's Sloe
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

mtbr member
    Nice pressie. Something funny with your seat post clamp in that pic. Looks backwards.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Yeah, I've got to mess with it... I was more interested in dialing the seat post height first to be honest.

The MOST important twiddle was taken care of today: dealing with those rear cables around the seat tube that flared out into my legs. Since it was too late to simply route them through a chunk of spent inner tube, with a little scissor-experimentation I managed to 'splice' a loop of tube that seems to be keeping them neatly in place behind.

The Ibis lizard skin chainstay guard is coming in the mail, gotta order a shock sleeve tonight along with whatever other odds and sods I can think of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    nice! Where did you pick it up? FTF or River City? Congrats!

Slothful dirt hippie
    FTF. There's a (old?) school a couple blocks up from them with a big steep bank + shallow set of stairs behind a field/some buildings. I don't think I'd recommend that maneuver, but without singletrack to run on I decided to get 'imaginative' in seeing how the bikes would handle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Awesome....I'm picking my new Mojo SL up from them on Friday! Can't wait! Enjoy the new ride....

Slothful dirt hippie
    Just make sure they tidy up those rear cables. I had noticed them brushing my legs when I test rode it the other weekend, and totally spaced when husband went down to get it (my duh). I'd also check to see if they have a chain stay guard.. digging the Ibis logo version I've got coming in the mail, but either way I can't imagine actually riding off road for any length of time without covering that thing up.

And maybe you'll take home the Nevegals we left behind there, lol. I ended up w/ a 2.3 SB8 in back and a 2.3 WTB Prowler MX Race on the front ...latter one was a completely wild guess on husband's part, we would have voted for a Panaracer Rampage they'd had it. Hard to fault a shop in PDX for not stocking many 'dry' tires though.

Had to pump more air into the shock tonight as I noticed it was drooping today and sure enough it was 20+ lbs under what it probably should be... we're thinking it could be the wild temperature and elevation variations it's been through recently since husband told them how much I weighed. But I'd LIKE to flatter myself and think that the FTF guys didn't believe I weigh as much as I actually do- lol!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr
    Just make sure they tidy up those rear cables. I had noticed them brushing my legs when I test rode it the other weekend, and totally spaced when husband went down to get it (my duh). I'd also check to see if they have a chain stay guard.. digging the Ibis logo version I've got coming in the mail, but either way I can't imagine actually riding off road for any length of time without covering that thing up.

And maybe you'll take home the Nevegals we left behind there, lol. I ended up w/ a 2.3 SB8 in back and a 2.3 WTB Prowler MX Race on the front ...latter one was a completely wild guess on husband's part, we would have voted for a Panaracer Rampage they'd had it. Hard to fault a shop in PDX for not stocking many 'dry' tires though.

Had to pump more air into the shock tonight as I noticed it was drooping today and sure enough it was 20+ lbs under what it probably should be... we're thinking it could be the wild temperature and elevation variations it's been through recently since husband told them how much I weighed. But I'd LIKE to flatter myself and think that the FTF guys didn't believe I weigh as much as I actually do- lol!
    Cool...I'll check out the cable lengths....And yeah, they are recommended the Nevegals to me so I went with them, but after reading the reviews on here (poor durability) I might switch them out...

Slothful dirt hippie
    Note that Neves are THE go-to tire for the wet stuff/wetside riders, so you may think about that a bit. It's only February, you'll want to ride right away, and they aren't a terrible choice for over there in spring. You can always swap out for something more svelte once it dries out or if you head over to Bend.

We're in central WA just east of the Cascade crest, so tire choices over here are a very different story than for our riding buddy in the Seattle area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Tires

Glad your enjoying your mojo they truly are awesome bikes. I also have a mojo with the Nevegals and you'll end up changing them out. I've had so many pinch flats I just couldn't take it anymore. I do ride rocky single tracks so that might have something to do with it. I'm switching to WTB velociraptor's race. They're supposed to be great tires from all the people I've talked to.