Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Got to Ride a Pike Yesterday

It was back to back with a Fox 34 Talas. The Pike was no travel adjust so slight difference in the setup.

On to the ride, all I can say is O M G! I run a Lyrik on my HD and it was as plush if not more so. So buttery smooth with great midstroke support. Lateral stiffness was very good as well. The 34 was not even in the same league. The difference was that drastic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    my wallet just let out a whimper.
    ride, eat, sleep, repeat

No dabs.
    That fork has definitely "pike'd" my interest. I was pretty blown away that they are claiming it weighs in at 115g less than my 34 Float.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    It was back to back with a Fox 34 Talas. The Pike was no travel adjust so slight difference in the setup.

On to the ride, all I can say is O M G! I run a Lyrik on my HD and it was as plush if not more so. So buttery smooth with great midstroke support. Lateral stiffness was very good as well. The 34 was not even in the same league. The difference was that drastic.
    Forget travel adj, great to hear some first impressions, sounds awesome, maybe I should sell the 34 asap before the word is out

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Got to Ride a Pike Yesterday

That's what I wanted to hear. Cool. Was waiting to hear from someone on a Lyrik. Going to be an expensive year
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I take it that it was a 2014 34 ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I already have 2 on order, 140mm for the Ripley and 150mm for the SB95c. Can't wait!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Colin+M - Curious who you ordered the 51mm offset 140mm Pike from? Have had a couple sources say mid July for it so trying to do better. PM me if you prefer. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    I already have 2 on order, 140mm for the Ripley and 150mm for the SB95c. Can't wait!!!
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Second ride on it today and it was just as good. Buttery smooth small bump sensitivity and great mid stroke support. I rode a lot of high speed chunk today and had no complaints compared to my Lyrik Will not get to hit any big drops or anything before I give it back, but I would not hesitate to throw one on my bike.

Mtb Guide
    Did you ride it on your HD?

Play around with setup, eg Tokens to see how it affected progressiveness or running it more linear?

Or just set sag and go with it?

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Hey Salespunk, that sounds awesome. Your Lyrik ist at 170? Dh damping?

mtbr member
    Yes, I am running a RC2DH 170. I did not mess around with the settings that much. Just set sag/damping in the garage and rode. It was on a Spider Comp 29'r.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Bleh, I had been debating whether I wanted to go big front and rear and put a Vengeance on the front of my 650b HD or keep it at its current 140 rear with a 150 Revelation. It looks like I might just have to go for this one. Or a Sweep. Or the Vengeance... or... What a problem to have.

At least a '13 650b Rev should resale fairly well, so there's that...

Mtb Guide
    These just landed @ our importer, doh so far only 27,5 & 29

Look good though! Digging da white on black.

mtbr member
    Would like to hear about how the spring curve is. Plush is nice, but I like forks that give you something to push against, and that are stiff. Its a shame theyre not making them in 20mm. Straight line chunk is great n all but I need to know how it is when hitting roots and rocks while leaned over in off cambers, dropping nose into chop, and in extreme cornering situations. My fox Float 36 is starting to creak really bad and I will need a replacement soon. Doesn't sound like this fork will be a viable replacement. I'd love to see a 160 Lyric redesigned with some of this technology thats in this fork but in a more robust chassis and the correct A2C

mountain biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Would like to hear about how the spring curve is. Plush is nice, but I like forks that give you something to push against, and that are stiff. Its a shame theyre not making them in 20mm. Straight line chunk is great n all but I need to know how it is when hitting roots and rocks while leaned over in off cambers, dropping nose into chop, and in extreme cornering situations. My fox Float 36 is starting to creak really bad and I will need a replacement soon. Doesn't sound like this fork will be a viable replacement. I'd love to see a 160 Lyric redesigned with some of this technology thats in this fork but in a more robust chassis and the correct A2C
    quoted for truth.
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

mtbr member
    What's the a-c of a 26er pike at 160mm? I'm running a Bo's Deville on my HD. 34 mm lowers but 20mm thru axle. Feels just as still as a Lyrik, 36 and 55. I've owned all of them. My only concern is customer service should it wet the bed. Great fork thus far though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pike 26's is 542mm @ 160mm. Curious on the Deville vs the 55 and the Lyrik on the HD. Also interested in that fork now that they supposedly have US Service Centers opening.

-Shane

Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    What's the a-c of a 26er pike at 160mm? I'm running a Bo's Deville on my HD. 34 mm lowers but 20mm thru axle. Feels just as still as a Lyrik, 36 and 55. I've owned all of them. My only concern is customer service should it wet the bed. Great fork thus far though.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Sorry to ask this again here, but as it decides my selection of fork for the Ripley: Can you build down the 140 Pike to 130 and in that case how?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    There was plenty of support through the mid stroke as well. It uses 35 mm stanchions just like the Lyrik if I am not mistaken so no real different in stiffness there. You may notice the lack of the 20mm axle, but I did not. As far as height goes it is only 3mm shorter A2C compared to the 36/Lyrik at 160. I rode a lot of high speed chunk on the second day and it was solid. Did not have the soft/collapsing mid stroke feel of the 36/34 that drives me crazy. I was still able to get close to full travel as well. The spring curve was very linear feeling.

mtbr member
    Sounds like a good fork, but I really need that travel adjust. I am curious about the upcoming X-fusion vengeance, might be interesting to see those 2 head to head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Deville is easily serviced. I think is 7.5wt oil and fox 34 bushes
    Hardest thing is getting the lower nut off. You really need an impact driver - these guys are motor racing dudes.

Devilles damping is hard to beat, but I run a ti 55 RC3 mostly on my HD

mtbr member
    Thanks for the a-c info. Deville is the nicest air fork I've owned. Nicer than the multiple 36s and the solo air Lyriks with the DH dampers. For pure plushness and performance my favourite fork is the 55 rc3 Ti in the 160-170mm range. But the Deville is way lighter and a fantastic air fork. Caveat is the forks were not all tried on the HD but were all on my chilcotin (where 55 is still). Others were sold. Folks on the Knolly board are big believers in the avalanche cart for the Lyrik but $s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks. What rear shock are you running on the HD with the Deville and is it a good match to the fork?

Thanks for the a-c info. Deville is the nicest air fork I've owned. Nicer than the multiple 36s and the solo air Lyriks with the DH dampers. For pure plushness and performance my favourite fork is the 55 rc3 Ti in the 160-170mm range. But the Deville is way lighter and a fantastic air fork. Caveat is the forks were not all tried on the HD but were all on my chilcotin (where 55 is still). Others were sold. Folks on the Knolly board are big believers in the avalanche cart for the Lyrik but $s.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Roco WC air custom tuned. Nice shock. CCDBA on the chilcotin. I like that too but not noticeably better than the Roco IMHO. HD feels plush but still efficient pedaling. I tried an RP23 on an HD a while back and hated it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast