Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Team Chilidog!

New question here. Good rear tire for the HD

I hate asking this question, especially with the variety of terrain. But I ride in the Santa Cruz area where Ibis is designed, so I figured to ask.

Right now, I'm running a Spesh Butcher SX 2.3 in the front (looove this tire really), but in the back I'm running a Spesh Captain 2.2 Control. Good rear tire, except it skids instead of breaking on the DH. I really really hate that, especially on a root drop section and sliding on a bunch of rocks covered by dead leaves.

Any suggestions that are better that aren't going to kill me completely on the climbs? I usually ride a combo of forest/roots, sand/rocks, and loam. Thanks, and happy new year.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm pretty happy with a ground control 2.3 . . . have liked the Nobby Nic 2.35 as well. They roll fast but give you traction when you need it, and the weight is good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was using a Nobby Nic 2.25. It had huge amounts of traction for everything i needed. But then the sidewall got torn open, lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dacarbon View Post
    I'm pretty happy with a ground control 2.3 . . . have liked the Nobby Nic 2.35 as well. They roll fast but give you traction when you need it, and the weight is good.
    I really like the ground control tire also. The traction is exceptional both with cornering and braking.

mtbr member
    I will be interested in following these responses. I used Ground control 2.3 rear and Hans Dampf front all last season and was very happy.

mtbr member
    Maxxis dhr2 tr. 2.3

Team Chilidog!
    Thanks folks. I'm going to see if there's any ground controls in stock tomorrow or the Maxxis DHR2 TR 2.3 in stock. It even looks like the 2.3 Ground Control has really good rolling weight. 610g for 2bliss too.

Hopefully it doesn't skid while breaking. That was the most frustrating thing with the Captain, and I really didn't like the way it corners.

The Butcher Control is great down on the rear,but man, is it s-l-o-w uphill.

I'm going to stay away from the Schwabe tires. They're really expensive, and I've blown a sidewall on one before.

G-Air: how's the pedaling on the DHR2? The original DHR was really slow.

mtbr member
    I ran a captain control for a longtime and really like that tire. I still really like it but wanted a tire with more braking control on the steeps. The dhr2 has been great so far. It is a bit heavier than the captain but it rolls surprisingly well. Maybe not as well as the captain but I don't curse it for bring a slow roller. Like you, I also really like the butchers up front.

aka dan51
    Hmmm, been running the captains for several years with no issues, or at least none I've been aware of. Might be time to try something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Hr2 rolls mega slow. Great traction. Try a 60a butcher out back

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    I ran a captain control for a longtime and really like that tire. I still really like it but wanted a tire with more braking control on the steeps. The dhr2 has been great so far. It is a bit heavier than the captain but it rolls surprisingly well. Maybe not as well as the captain but I don't curse it for bring a slow roller. Like you, I also really like the butchers up front.
    What air pressure do you run in the DHR2? Right now, I'm leaning more towards the Ground Control for the next tire because Spesh has a nice trade-in policy and their tires are much cheaper. It doesn't mean I won't be looking for a DHR2 though.

I hit a section of steeps today and the rear was sliding all over and scared the crap out of me. As nice as it is for climbing, the cornering and lack of breaking leave a lot to be desird, even running that tire at 20-25psi.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    Hr2 rolls mega slow. Great traction. Try a 60a butcher out back
    Really? I thought the 50a Butcher was slow (they don't make a 60a Butcher), so that tells me the DHR2 is really slow. The Butcher SX has 45a sides and 50a centre knobs, and that's what I run up front.

mtbr member
    Specialized Bicycle Components

780 grams, 60a compound. Check your guage. Nobody over 120 pounds should be running 25psi or less

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Good rear tire for the HD

Another option to consider (from specialized) is the Purgatory 2.3. I was really happy with it as a rear tire while running a Hans Dampf in front. They changed the purgatory a bit for 2013 to decrease rolling resistance and it's a solid tire.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmanfred View Post
    I will be interested in following these responses. I used Ground control 2.3 rear and Hans Dampf front all last season and was very happy.
    This was going to be my tire combo of choice but the Hans damn is super expensive so I went with a purgatory up front and I'm stoked on the traction of the front/rear tire combo.

Team Chilidog!
    Last edited by Stripes; 01-05-2014 at 04:03 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Love my Weirwolfs...roll fast and climb really well.

You may want to look into changing your setup if you're skidding a lot.?

• Shorter Stem.
    • Raise the Bars.
    • Running a dropper?
    • Smaller rear rotor so there's a little less braking power?

I find that I get a looser rear end while braking and climbing when I run a longer stem on my HD.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fassn8 View Post
    Another option to consider (from specialized) is the Purgatory 2.3. I was really happy with it as a rear tire while running a Hans Dampf in front. They changed the purgatory a bit for 2013 to decrease rolling resistance and it's a solid tire.
    Since it's been over 2 years since I tried the Purg, I'm trying it again because they changed the casing (grid) and they changed the tread. I'll let you know what I think.

So I picked up the purg today, and I'll let you know. Thanks!

780 grams, 60a compound. Check your guage. Nobody over 120 pounds should be running 25psi or less
    They were out of this tire, or I would have gotten this instead of the Purg. If I don't like the Purg, I'll pick this up. Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullcoilmojo View Post
    This was going to be my tire combo of choice but the Hans damn is super expensive so I went with a purgatory up front and I'm stoked on the traction of the front/rear tire combo.
    The Hans Dampf perfomance compound is usually about $40 online and holds up great.

mtbr member

I run 22 psi in the rear and 19 front...

The Hans Dampf in Pacestar compound works well in the rear and will hold up. Trailstar not so much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    I run 22 psi in the rear and 19 front...

The Hans Dampf in Pacestar compound works well in the rear and will hold up. Trailstar not so much.
    Your guage must be off or your tires never leave the air

mtbr member
    Both digital and analog read the same. Respect your opinions, but some people can get away with it. Two of my friends flatted at our local Enduro race yesterday with over 40 PSI, but I was fine with 22 PSI. Just to prove I am not riding paved bike trails here is a prerun of Stage 1 from yesterday. The section after the right off the fire road is a sustained -20% grade.

Sorry about the video quality. I tried Youtube's smoothing and it made the video look like an LSD trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    +1 to getting away with lower pressures - I think it depends on a variety of factors, including where I ride, how hard I am riding, and tire/rim combinations. Currently I weight 130lbs, and ride I9 Torch Enduro rims that have a 26mm internal width, with NN 2.35 in front and Ground Control 2.3 rear. With this setup, I'm running 17psi front and 19-20psi rear (digital and analog gauges match up on this as well, cause I'm neurotic haha). This serves me pretty well for most of the XC trails in Norcal, although I do get some rear end wiggle/tire squirm when I hit the berms hard at the flow trail. But again - I'm a light guy, running some high volume casing tires on generous rims.

mtbr member
    Nobody fast I know runs pressure that low. Its not a matter of flatting, its a matter of the tire rolling, and guranteed rim impacts. If you put any kind of real lateral load on a wheel with a tire at 20 PSI its going to roll, squirm big time, and possibly burp, or unseat. If you air and then land in any kind of roughness you're hitting rim.....unless you weigh 120+/- pounds. The only time I'd ever want to "get away" with such low pressure would be if I burped and had no pump and had to limp it back. I run roughly 28-30 front, and 30-32 rear and sometimes will air down just a little from there depending on conditions (and sometimes higher if its mega rocky) I weigh 170-175 pounds. 20 PSI would just be a joke for me, the bike would be all over the place and I'd probably peel a tire right off the rim. In my opininon 25 is about the lowest anyone should go riding 5"+ enduro bikes and weighing 140 pounds and up

I'm using motorcycle racetrack tire vendor verified guages (lol) and minion 2.5's on 28mm easton havocs.

mtbr member
    Watched the video,there was enough chunk to make me believe your guage is off. 20 PSI through that is a joke. I'd be banging rim all day or riding like a ballerina. Didn't see any major lateral loading tho, or jumping off of anything to gap, altho there looked to be some flowy turns at the end. Where is that?

Dude If I ran 20 PSI, and landed anything sideways in a hip, or cornered hard enough I would be on my ass. I just don't get why people love running such low pressure, there is no benefit. And how will you ever step your game up and learn to go faster and get better if your basic bike setup isn't right? Tire pressure is totally rider weight dependant so anyone reading this needs to take that into consideration. If you're a lightweight then less pressure is okay. I'd setup a 100 pound woman's bike with pretty low pressure but any grown man weighing over 160 pounds is gonna need 25 and up

EDIT: Are either of those schwables the 1.5 PLY versions? The 1000g tires? I could see barely getting away with that low of pressure if you are running the super beef casings

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast