Thread: Gold Links

Rides a Bike

Gold Links

Quote Originally Posted by jacko69
    Perhaps I'm just looking for an excuse to buy different coloured linkages
    I was wondering if the groovy team at IBIS had any plans to widen the choice of colours for replacement linkages? I've got a nuclear pesto frame and personally don't think the red or blue quite goes with this colour... so how about some GOLD LINKS please

GOLD bling would look great on my Mojo and not just because I'm an Aussie where a little green and gold holds a certain cache... they'd also go well with my gold alloy and ceramic bearing jockey wheels from Token

Fishboy
    Last edited by fishboy2807; 04-01-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks

mtbr member

Sure would look good

Im with you man

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    How about titanium links?

Failing that, I'd have gold. They'd go so well with the golden crown of my Factory Ltd Edition Pace forks, then I could get some gold chainring bolts and self extracting crank bolt from Middleburn, gold piston caps and stem cap from Hope, those golden jockey wheels you mention, then I can trawl the internet looking for gold bolts for every part of the bike, and finally when I can find no more bling for the bike I'll get me some GOLDEN BALLS!!!!

Rides a Bike
    and gold cufflinks for your long sleeve cycle jersey.
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yeah, golden links would be very cool. Red and blue are so last season .

Any chance of getting silver ones anodized gold?

Cheers
    Jever

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nay get some Giraffe pattered ones!

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by bykingcnut
    How about titanium links?

Failing that, I'd have gold. They'd go so well with the golden crown of my Factory Ltd Edition Pace forks, then I could get some gold chainring bolts and self extracting crank bolt from Middleburn, gold piston caps and stem cap from Hope, those golden jockey wheels you mention, then I can trawl the internet looking for gold bolts for every part of the bike, and finally when I can find no more bling for the bike I'll get me some GOLDEN BALLS!!!!
    Ok, Ti links would first be heavier and the biggest thing would be cost, Ti is extremely expensive, I would think that a set of Ti link would cost $300-400 (or maybe more). Flex issues? Not sure with that thick of Ti.

MTB Monkey
    Gold will electroplate over Nickel. Get the silver ones and do it yourself. Just need some electricity, some water, and some gold-cyanide solution.....

mtbr member
    Be sure to press out the bearings before performing any electroplating operations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

FISHBOY, check your private messages

FISHBOY, check your private messages

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe74
    Gold will electroplate over Nickel. Get the silver ones and do it yourself. Just need some electricity, some water, and some gold-cyanide solution.....

I have some electroplating experience that I will share. I have chrome plated for a few years now. I can chrome plate aluminum. With that being said I could also gold plate aluminum. However because aluminum is not really meant to plate (it can be done by treating the aluminum with zincate) longevity of the plating may not be more than 1-3 years (about the longevity of chrome plated aluminum). There is nothing I hate more than removing anodizing like found on the red and blue links. That also can complicate the situation.

But my guess is with a new set of aluminum non-anodized links it could be done. Or you could just powder coat them.

I think that a black chrome powder coat on the links would look great with any of the colors.
    Last edited by lonestar350r8; 04-18-2008 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Costs about $4 per link at a reputable anodizer. After you press out the bearings and include time/cost of driving to wherever your anodizer is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Some photo's of my bike with gold links. Not too sure whether I like it or prefer the red links.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    and another
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Who did your gold links?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I used VHT metal tint- http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/...?idproduct=226

I am a car painter so was very surprised at how well this adheres to the shiny links. It is obviously not as hard wearing as anodizing but seems to be durable enough for this purpose and is cheap plus from start to finish took 1 hour. The finish is amazing. It just looks like gold anodizing. It stands up to bike cleaner and a bike brush for cleaning.I've had them covered in gritty mud with no problems with scratching etc. Just not sure I really like them. I think I prefer the red links

Rides a Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sworks365
    Hey thanks for this link and pictures... nice idea.

It might be worth a shot, if I can't find any gold anodized links. It's available in Australia, and i've even got some spare links in a drawer (but no seat clamp).

This is a blurb about the product "VHT Metal Tint is a non-tarnishing metallic coating formulated to give a plated or anodised look to aluminium, plated or polished metal surfaces. This unequaled product possesses outstanding brilliance and durability for interior or exterior surfaces and will withstand temperatures to 350ºF (176ºC). VHT Metal Tint duplicates the appearance of expensive anodised coatings, is chemical resistant and will not oxidise."
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Well one thing for sure sworks365 is those gold link matches your chain, brakes and fork . Sweet!
    07 Giant Anthem 2 (Int'l Edition) | omartan.co.cc
    Im a MOJO Fanboy