mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Going to the LBS to test the Mojo.

As i am sure many of you who bought your Mojos test rode them before you bought them what were your first impressions when you first rode the Mojo. Also ive heard many things about clear tape, which spots on the bike would u put the tape on?

mojo mofo

Mojo impressions and protection

I don't think most of the people that bought Mojos, up until the start of this year, had the chance to test ride them, because there weren't any around. Some people had never even seen a real one in person. I know I fit in that group, as do a few of the forum posters here it seems. Although even given that surprising fact, everyone is in love with the thing.

I was sold by a combination of Ibis' history of innovation and attention to real world details (under Mr. Nicol's ownership), the rave reviews of DW link bikes and early reviews in bike mags which are available on the Ibis site in pdf format. Oh and the awesome looks of the thing, I know none of us are supposed to care much about that, but in the real world we do factor in emotions when we buy things and the way something looks day in and day out is more important than we'd like to admit.

There are a few good riding reviews elsewhere in the Ibis forums, derby has some of the most in-depth riding reviews. I can't offer real trail impressions yet, I'm waiting for snow to melt.

As for the clear tape; I have it on the underside of the downtube all the way down to the back of the bottom bracket shell, on the bottom of the rear triangle just back of the bottom bracket shell, all inside the drive side of the rear triangle, and up the back of the seat tube. I used Bonk and it went on fairly easily considering the compound curvature of this bike. I also have a Jumbo Lizard Skin on the chain stay. Some people are putting a small piece of Velcro or rubber on the bottom of the rear triangle just next to the polished chain suck guard because apparently the chain can hit there sometimes if the gear ratio is right, or wrong actually. I'll probably do that as a preventative measure as well.

When I emailed Ibis about the protection issue, Scot replied that I had done more than he had to his own. Which says to me that I overdid it and if he's not that worried about it then its probably pretty tough. Although I suppose he can get a replacement easier than us regular folk.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    I am also in the group that didn't test ride before purchase (there was no bike to test ride). But I have absolutely zero reservations about my purchase decision.

My first ride impressions and they just got stronger and stronger the more I rode the Mojo could be summarized as "this feels like I am cheating!".

I am sure everyone has had the same experience for new bikes, but this was only my 3rd mountain bike purchase and it was new to me - and that experience was ear to ear grins as I would be riding something I had ridden many times before on my old bike while I was thinking "This bike is the best toy evah!" It just was that much fun to ride. (for me at least).

jmc
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Super Excited

About a month ago, I had to go to a conference in Raleigh, NC for work. As soon as I found out, I was on the phone with an LBS in the area, that I knew to be one of three shops in the state to carry the Mojo, to see if they had any on the floor to test out. They said that they had a medium and large ready to go. I knew at that point that I would be able to endure any amount of boredom at this conference, because I would get a chance to check this bike out. I currently ride hardtail here in the mountains of Western North Carolina. I have been actively shopping for a full suspension rig for several months after succombing to the temptation of riding one. I agree with others that the test ride showed the Mojo to be all that it is hyped up to be. I would not consider myself to be any sort of afficionado of full suspension bikes, but I really dug this bike. I agree with another comment in this section that said that the ride felt like cheating, with the light weight, stiff handling that I am accustomed to on my hardtail combined with all the benefits of 5.5 inches of travel. I am currently saving my pennies to take the plunge and buy this bike. My only reservations are about the long term durability of the carbon fiber. I do not have a history of being terribly hard on my bikes, so I think that this bike should last me a good long while. Until I get the money together, and probably after I buy the bike, I plan to keep a close eye on the forums regarding the Mojo here. So, I hope that people keep writing in about it.