mtbr member
    May 2007

Going 1 x 10 on the ripley

Hey all,

Anyone here go 1x10 on the Ripley? I've got full XT 2x10 and last season found I rarely used the larger ring up front. So I thought maybe I'd simplify things by removing the FD and clean up a bit of the cabling.

How do you like it, if you've gone this route? What do I need other then a single speed chain ring? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I use X01 with stock N/W 30T chain ring, 11-36T cassette and non-clutch medum cage X0 rear derailleur. Works great and hasn't dropped a chain so far in a few month's riding.

I've just ordered a Wolftooth 42T cog to get an escape for the really steep climbs. Additionally, spacing the 36T cog one step out makes for a better chain line for the 30/36T combo which I use a lot. Hopefully this eases off the wear on the chain ring a little too.

mtbr member
    Yep yep.... Get a 30t NW ring from RaceFace, etc, and be happy. If the gearing's too tall, a 42t giant cog will remedy that, but your shifting on the smaller half of the cassette will suffer slightly.... or you could look to a new direct mount crank so you could run a 28, but you'll be spinning like mad on fast smooth dh

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm trying to figure this out... if I go less then 30, I need a direct mount crank... meaning I have to buy a whole new crank?

Can you explain why the shifting on the smaller half of the cassette would suffer? Is this if I add the 42T cog?

Sorry, just want to make sure I understand all this.

mtbr member
    The issue with shifting will be the B tension screw on the RD. It has to be pushed way out with the 42t cog on RD's designed for 36T max and it affects shifting in the smaller cogs. Depending on how picky you are you may or may not notice the difference.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ok, makes sense. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Yep, exactly.

Re. cranksets, the bolt circle diameter on your XT cranks will take a 30t ring at the smallest. There are direct mount rings available for SRAM cranks that do away with that limitation.

First things first, though... slap a 30t ring on there and ride.... You'll love the simplicity and weight savings, and it may be all the gear you need.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I don't have the strongest legs, and am a little concerned with a 26-30T jump (maybe its not as large of a jump as I'm thinking it would be) in the front ring. Anyway, if I go direct mount (28T), do I need to change cranks, or will my XT cranks still work?

Running out of gearing on the top end isn't really a concern of mine. I'm not the fastest rider, and 95% of my riding is in the midwest (no fast/smooth downhills where I"m spinning out).